1990 sea ray 180 bowrider boat planning buying needing advice?

I'm buying this boat and its in very good shape. Its in a company's garage kept all it's time since 2000 the last time it run 2008 and haven't been started since then. I'm mechanicaly incline what should I do or check?

still kicking ass and taking names! Pale Rider's Avatar
    +1
    outboard or I/O?

hopefully it was properly winterized or fogged/stored.

need more details.

Inboard 4.3L Mercruiser. I dont think it was winterized here in norther Cali doesn't freeze. My plan is squirt wd40 all cylinder let it seat for couple day, then hand crank, drain the oil, drain the gas, replace the mechanical fuel pump to electric, change impeller, and drain the outboard fluid.

still kicking ass and taking names! Pale Rider's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kalabi View Post
    Inboard 4.3L Mercruiser. I dont think it was winterized here in norther Cali doesn't freeze. My plan is squirt wd40 all cylinder let it seat for couple day, then hand crank, drain the oil, drain the gas, replace the mechanical fuel pump to electric, change impeller, and drain the outboard fluid.
    wd40 won`t do it. wd40 absorbs moisture, so get yourself some ATF, good old old school Dextron or Ford ATF and pull the plugs and inject a few ounces, rotate the engine with a socket on the crank snout bolt. if the crank is hard at all to rotate, stop there.

there is a ton of things to check when recommissioning a boat.

remove the fuel, change the fuel filters and go through the carb. provided engine spins over, no rust and good compression. any oil or atf in the cylinder when doing a compression test will raise the numbers and give a false reading.

I would keep the mechanical pump unless you know how to wire in a safety pressure switch for the electric pump. if in doubt just install a new mech fuel pump.

after you check everything out, do a tune up, fire it up on the hose! check for leaks at the exhaust bellows, water leaks at the risers/manifolds, and anything obvious. it wouldn`t hurt to change out the thermostat either.
    check the outdrive joints, and trim cylinders and lines. check your anodes.

check steering cables, throttle cable/shift cable.

check all the wiring and electrical connections for corrosion.

this is just all standard practice to recommission a boat... and pre season inspection.

before you hit the water, install a water fuel separator into the fuel system.

good luck, you got it covered.

+1
    Impeller for sure and maybe pressure test the lower unit to make sure the seals aren't leaking....

May want to change the gear oil in the out drive as well. Pretty cheap and simple to do but expensive when you regret not doing it.

Thread Information