Thread: Oil issue

+1

Oil issue

So I am having a tough time currently with an oil issue on my ski. I changed the oil yesterday morning and than proceeded to the boat ramp where I tested on trailor and found out I had a bad fuel pump throwing p0231 and no other codes. While at the ramp I let her run for thirty seconds checked oil and it was very hard to read due to it mainly being stuck on the sides of the dipstick. Next I ran for a few minutes to let her warm up real good and waited about a minute after and checked again and same issue oil just running on sides of dipstick. When cold the dipstick shows barely any oil I mean maybe an 1/4".

Should I be looking at the oil pressure regulator or consider removing the front and rear covers to shoot air and brake cleaner as some has done in the past to see if there is blockage? I know there is oil however for the life of me cannot get an accurate reading on the dipstick. Anyone rough the dipstick up with sandpaper or Emory cloth to get a better reading and remove the gloss finish?

There are no oil codes being thrown and will be installing the Supertech Valvetrain tomorrow so if anyone has any ideas please let me know, thanks.

Kiwi spanner handler
    +1
    so other than reading issue its fine? sounds like no reason to be pulling things apart! Let it idle for 10 seconds or so then let it sit for a while then go dip it. if anywhere between half and full its fine.
    You would only ever look to clear debris or blockage after a supercharger failure

+1
    That's the problem there is no reading hot,warm, or cold. Makes think oil has gone somewhere and is sitting there possibly blocked. In addition it would not be all that hard to pull motor again I have gotten pretty efficient at it as most here.

+1
    I have lightly sanded my dipstick ( I know) and it does help ... the dipstick is no longer shiny or smooth, so it is easier to see the oil. Best way to check the oil is to warm up the motor (a few minutes of idling), let it idle 30 seconds in the water, shut it off, pull and wipe the dipstick, float around for 30 seconds, then check the oil.

Usually I can see oil on my dipstick pretty easily, even when it is has not run for days. But proper checking is best done when warmed up and floating around in calm water.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rmk82nd View Post
    That's the problem there is no reading hot,warm, or cold. Makes think oil has gone somewhere and is sitting there possibly blocked. In addition it would not be all that hard to pull motor again I have gotten pretty efficient at it as most here.
    Yeah mate. Doesn't sound right. Even if mine is cold i can read the stick with clean oil. probably a stupid question, but is it topped up with enough oil to read?

+1
    What is the history on the ski? Original owner, original motor, any previous oil alarms? How much oil did you remove and add back with the oil change?

+1
    Took out about 2.5-3 qts and put the same in. Second owner and original motor at 94 hours with no previous alarms. I sanded the dipstick with Emory cloth and just what I thought I am getting a much better reading about a third way up between humps kinda odd but helped. Either way I am going to probably remove motor and check it throughly on a weekend some time soon just blows because I just had it out.

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-05-30 at 9.41.56 PM.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	360602

4.8 qts total

3.2 qts with filter change is normal

Are you sure you have enough oil in it?

+1
    I put 3 qts in so maybe I need the .2 to hit the half mark still.

+1
    I am glad that I read this. I just put together a new engine and put 3 quarts in as normal and it did not show on the stick. I added another quart and still nothing on the stick. After I read this I added a 5th quart and it showed up on the dipstick right at the first notch.

Thread Information