Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

R&d mods / riva free flow.

So today I rode my ski with the r&d intake grate and ride plate installed. The ski handles 100xs better. It's so much more predictable over chop ,and boat wakes don't phase the ski what so ever. You can really feel the stability that the extended plate gives. Night and day difference. Big confidence boost. With the trim in nuetral I went to make a wide turn and the ski just dug right in to the water with minimal throttle, put a smile on my face instantly. When slowing down the grate doesn't have that parachute effect anymore and doesnt feel like your going to rip something off the bottom of your ski if you let off wot. The only downside to the combo is I think it may be a little slower. Gps said 71 mph , and ,rpms were down about 75-100. the water wasn't flat had a lot of rollers. Was also 100% humidity, will test again tommorow.

I also installed a riva free flow exhaust ,and re routed my blow off valve tube so it doesn't blow back into the intake. The riva free flow was simply a bitch to install. If I could go back in time id pay someone to install it for me , and I like to work on my ski.. The sound from the free flow is so much better imo , you can actually hear your motor , but it's not obnoxious, Nice deep tone. I still have my oem primary water box ( not gutted ). It definetly made a big difference in sound , more then I thought it would to be honest.

Iv seen some people reroute the bov tube away from the air intake , but I noticed this tube has a lot of air coming through it , and im wondering if that's why I lost a little speed/rpm. The air doesn't seem to be hot either. I might re install it to the air intake and see what happens. But If the loss is due to the intake grate, it's still worth it to me. So if your debating weather to get an r&d grate / plate hope this helps you make up your mind. If some of the more experienced kawi guys have any input on the mph loss that would be great. Thanks

+1
    Humidity will bring you down a mile or two so don't sweat it,test when humidity is dryer 40-50% then compare..

Regarding the intake grate and the " parachute effect" well that's the beauty of the Ultra as it keeps you hooked up to the water especially in the rough waters and really that's what this ski is all about and as the R&D is a top loading grate and you might feel a little more Accel on all waters but it a matter of preference .

Ive tried 3 different grates and plates and even different props and pitches and every Ultra owner has their favorite combo ..

3. +1 by:

+1
    Hope your right dave ! Hopefully not 100% humidity tommorow! I did like the instant hook up , but at the same time I hated that snap back effect. It wore me out too fast. Yup all about preference

5. +1 by:

+1
    I have R&D combo as well but I do prefer the stock grate + R&D plate.

The R&D grate in very rough water feel afterward like you are cavitating when loosing hookup.
    The plate help to keep the ski stable at high speed imo.

+1
    Thanks , What about top speed on smooth water w the r&d grate / plate ?

+1
    Water is never glassy here... lol
    I do think it will be a tad faster than stock with R&D grate.
    Less drag should always make it quicker.

But never done back to back gps test...

+1
    Try true-ing the plate and grate. May get some speed there. Like Dave said, humidity is killing yiur speed.

+1
    Mate the bypass valve closes once you increase rpms thats why rerouting it does nothing. It bleeds off overboost to control afrs and not act lije an air compressor

11. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks nic. Makes sense now. Dur.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DH300 View Post
    Try true-ing the plate and grate. May get some speed there. Like Dave said, humidity is killing yiur speed.
    Yeah the fit and finish wasn't the best on the plate and grate , wasn't bad but could be better. I also used 5200 instead of silicone this time , it's not as smooth as silicone is. Next time I take it out of the water im sanding it all off and using silicone.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information