Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Cavitation Solved SS Wear Ring

Just an FYI. I've been chasing my cavitation problem for some time now. 2008 RXT-X 255 et-137+4 all supporting mods 9200 rev. I installed an R&D pump seal, no help. I installed a Speed Freaks Bellow Band and new carbon seal, no help. The cure was to install a SS wear ring. I have 0 that's ZERO cavitation now. It's a rocket. I hope this helps anyone with the same problem. I've replace the stock wear ring several times and from the start there was cavitation. In only a few hours of riding the ring was worn out. Impeller flex maybe but the problem is gone. I love my ski again.

+1
    Your saying you wore out several stock (plastic) wear rings in only a few hours of riding? That's a problem and replacing the plastic with the stainless is just going to destroy your props trailing edge over time. Thru-hole alignment out of whack? Better to destroy a $50 wear ring than to destroy a $360 prop.

You will have a tighter tolerance with a oem ring over than ss ring so if anything it should Cavatate more with the ss

+1
    I actually had to file my prop to get it to fit my solas ss ring
    it was so tight I could not spin it by hand

5. +1 by:

+1
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3782.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	82.2 KB 
ID:	360547

I don't think a OEM ring will be more thight !!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneRXT View Post
    You will have a tighter tolerance with a oem ring over than ss ring so if anything it should Cavatate more with the ss
    I am interested in your statement...As every wear ring i have installed,the SS has ALWAYS been tighter..AND if you install the wear rings correctly,with the correct ring/prop gap,even the OEM one,you shouldnt have any cavatation with either one providing your carbon seal and prop blades are within spec.

8. +1 by:

+1
    I fitted a SS wear ring and a 15/21A on my 08 rxtx after chasing a cavitation issue. It fixed it also. Alignment checked, carbon seal and bellows replaced....

+1
    I'm curious with you guys running ss wear rings...any issues with prop life shortened? I've often given thought to testing one out but always ended up refraining because rather have my 50 liner trashed than my 300 prop but still cant help but wonder and know some love the ss liners

Quote Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoneRXT View Post
    I am interested in your statement...As every wear ring i have installed,the SS has ALWAYS been tighter..AND if you install the wear rings correctly,with the correct ring/prop gap,even the OEM one,you shouldnt have any cavatation with either one providing your carbon seal and prop blades are within spec.

+1
    hAve been running the same prop for 3 years now in both my skis with the SS wear ring..I can tell yoou too that I have sucked up debris and if i would have had a plastic wear ring i would be pulling the pump replacing it were as with the SS i shut the ski off,,fire it and hit the gas hard and it has passed it every time with no issues to either the prop or ring...IMO you need to set the prop up to the right clearance also to prolong prop life..Just throwing in a prop and if it turns its ok isnt cutting it for me...its like any other mod you do to your ski,you have to set it up right to get the most of it too,even with a prop..

+1
    I may end up going with a SS wear ring. I only get between 40-50hrs out of my OEM plastic. At my rate of racking up hours, it will pay off in just over 1-year. (however, at the cost of replacing prop sooner)

Isn't the general consensus that the Riva SS ring is best one out there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information