Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy Mis-fueled!!!! Ahhhhh HELP!

Hi All

Like a real idiot i put premium unleaded (the higher octane stuff ) in my STX-R (1200 Kawi 2 stroke).

Took it out and it ran like crap, i took it out of the water after 5 mins riding and flushed it, all still runs fine just lumpy. Looking at the spark plugs (as this is what i thought the prob may be before i realised i put the fuel in) they are black and giving a very orange spark.

My question is - should i just drain the fuel tank, fill it up with standard fuel, swap out the sparks for new and get back out on the water?

Thanks in advance guys!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoyMinster View Post
    Hi All

Like a real idiot i put premium unleaded (the higher octane stuff ) in my STX-R (1200 Kawi 2 stroke).

Took it out and it ran like crap, i took it out of the water after 5 mins riding and flushed it, all still runs fine just lumpy. Looking at the spark plugs (as this is what i thought the prob may be before i realised i put the fuel in) they are black and giving a very orange spark.

My question is - should i just drain the fuel tank, fill it up with standard fuel, swap out the sparks for new and get back out on the water?

Thanks in advance guys!

The fuel is NOT your problem, it should run fine on premium unleaded. I would change your plugs, and go from there.
    Unless the "premium" you bought is contaminated.

Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    The fuel is NOT your problem, it should run fine on premium unleaded. I would change your plugs, and go from there.
    Unless the "premium" you bought is contaminated.
    Damn really? All the spark plugs can foul at once? Might i add my flush cap blew off and i got a heat warning on the digidash....

+1
    High octane fuel can, indeed, make a high speed 2-stroke run badly. Drain it and refill with lower octane.

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    High octane fuel can, indeed, make a high speed 2-stroke run badly. Drain it and refill with lower octane.
    I think I'll change the fuel and the plugs, then hope for the best!

+1

Its all ever run in my 2 strokes, 650's, 800 and 1350 (BB 1200), never had an issue. Even running Ultra 94, no issues.

That's why I doubt the gas is all his issue.

+1
    I tried it in my Honda Elsinore once (100 LL aviation fuel) and it started mis-firing in the first 100 yards. I drained the fuel, put in mogas, and it ran perfectly.

I tried it in my Honda Elsinore once (100 LL aviation fuel) and it started mis-firing in the first 100 yards. I drained the fuel, put in mogas, and it ran perfectly.
    Hopefully this will be my result as well!

+1
    100LL is actually very high lead, just lower than it's high lead counterpart aviation fuel. The octane rating is also not comparable to the automobile RON and MON method so it's not really "100" like auto gas is "93". It's a different fuel for a different application and usually will not run well in products designed for auto fuel. The leaded fuel will most definitely leave hard deposits on the spark plugs......but that being said I do use it to store all my toys for the winter as the fuel will stay good for years unlike auto fuel.

its not that the higher octane fuel is bad, its just different to what you usually use. It shouldn't make that much difference to foul plugs etc, so I doubt its your problem, but do recommend sticking to one type of fuel, be it high or low octane.

I like the higher mid stuff, at least that was if I get a bad batch of fuel (sometimes am forced to fill up at a marina jetty) it will hopefully compensate for it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information