Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Unhappy Mis-fueled!!!! Ahhhhh HELP!

    Hi All

    Like a real idiot i put premium unleaded (the higher octane stuff ) in my STX-R (1200 Kawi 2 stroke).

    Took it out and it ran like crap, i took it out of the water after 5 mins riding and flushed it, all still runs fine just lumpy. Looking at the spark plugs (as this is what i thought the prob may be before i realised i put the fuel in) they are black and giving a very orange spark.

    My question is - should i just drain the fuel tank, fill it up with standard fuel, swap out the sparks for new and get back out on the water?

    Thanks in advance guys!


  2. #2
    SplishSplash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Belle River Ont Canada
    Posts
    1,823
    +1
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoyMinster View Post
    Hi All

    Like a real idiot i put premium unleaded (the higher octane stuff ) in my STX-R (1200 Kawi 2 stroke).

    Took it out and it ran like crap, i took it out of the water after 5 mins riding and flushed it, all still runs fine just lumpy. Looking at the spark plugs (as this is what i thought the prob may be before i realised i put the fuel in) they are black and giving a very orange spark.

    My question is - should i just drain the fuel tank, fill it up with standard fuel, swap out the sparks for new and get back out on the water?

    Thanks in advance guys!

    The fuel is NOT your problem, it should run fine on premium unleaded. I would change your plugs, and go from there.
    Unless the "premium" you bought is contaminated.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by SplishSplash View Post
    The fuel is NOT your problem, it should run fine on premium unleaded. I would change your plugs, and go from there.
    Unless the "premium" you bought is contaminated.
    Damn really? All the spark plugs can foul at once? Might i add my flush cap blew off and i got a heat warning on the digidash....

  4. #4
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,843
    +1
    787
    High octane fuel can, indeed, make a high speed 2-stroke run badly. Drain it and refill with lower octane.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    High octane fuel can, indeed, make a high speed 2-stroke run badly. Drain it and refill with lower octane.
    I think I'll change the fuel and the plugs, then hope for the best!

  6. #6
    SplishSplash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Belle River Ont Canada
    Posts
    1,823
    +1
    224
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    High octane fuel can, indeed, make a high speed 2-stroke run badly. Drain it and refill with lower octane.

    Its all ever run in my 2 strokes, 650's, 800 and 1350 (BB 1200), never had an issue. Even running Ultra 94, no issues.

    That's why I doubt the gas is all his issue.

  7. #7
    steve45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7,843
    +1
    787
    I tried it in my Honda Elsinore once (100 LL aviation fuel) and it started mis-firing in the first 100 yards. I drained the fuel, put in mogas, and it ran perfectly.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I tried it in my Honda Elsinore once (100 LL aviation fuel) and it started mis-firing in the first 100 yards. I drained the fuel, put in mogas, and it ran perfectly.
    Hopefully this will be my result as well!

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    326
    +1
    6
    100LL is actually very high lead, just lower than it's high lead counterpart aviation fuel. The octane rating is also not comparable to the automobile RON and MON method so it's not really "100" like auto gas is "93". It's a different fuel for a different application and usually will not run well in products designed for auto fuel. The leaded fuel will most definitely leave hard deposits on the spark plugs......but that being said I do use it to store all my toys for the winter as the fuel will stay good for years unlike auto fuel.

  10. #10
    its not that the higher octane fuel is bad, its just different to what you usually use. It shouldn't make that much difference to foul plugs etc, so I doubt its your problem, but do recommend sticking to one type of fuel, be it high or low octane.

    I like the higher mid stuff, at least that was if I get a bad batch of fuel (sometimes am forced to fill up at a marina jetty) it will hopefully compensate for it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. fuel rails HELP! back asswards???
    By ashelgren in forum Polaris How To & FAQs
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-06-2008, 07:10 AM
  2. gp 1200 fuel line help
    By chritopherlloyd in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2008, 03:21 PM
  3. Fuel Regulator Help
    By stabs in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-16-2008, 09:10 PM
  4. my SL needs "Encouragement" Wiring or fuel? please help
    By thejake in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-10-2007, 12:14 AM
  5. Air Fuel Ratio ?? Help, Get me to the Bug
    By 1 FAST VE in forum 4-Tec Performance
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 06-04-2007, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •