Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Angry RXP ..can't get the supercharger out

Hi guys, first post but been lurking for a while.

I picked up a 2007 RXP, previous owner said the SC was done around 40 hours ago. The impeller is very tight, I was able to move it a slight amount when I first tried it but after that it's basically impossible by fingers. Still, I want to remove and inspect it.

I got the 3 bolts off, which was a lot of fun all in itself, but now I'm stuck. This thing will not budge, I can do a slight rotation by smacking it through a piece of lumber but it really moves maybe a mm.

I've been spraying PB Blaster into the shaft area for the second day now. I tried prying it by hammering some pieces of wood in-between but no luck. If I try to force it by hand I'm just yanking around the entire trailer. I'm not sure how hard I can go at it, don't want to crack anything.

Attached are pictures of the bolts I removed, 99.9% sure I got the right ones ..but I left that 0.1% chance.

Pic 1: right bolt
    Pic 2: top bolt
    Pic 3: bottom bolt
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150527_210215.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	360405   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150527_210050.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	360404   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150527_210037.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	33.7 KB 
ID:	360403  

+1
    Your bolt removal looks correct; I was most curious about the bottom b/c it's easy to think you have it when you're removing one off the charger's housing. But it looks like you got it right. By looking at the pix, it looks like there's been some salt riding and/or the engine bay wasn't rinsed out to often - which leads me to beleive it may be slightly siezed w/rust from charger to block. Maybe some liquid wrench overnight???

+1
    I've had a few that was really hard to get out. Your best bet is to move it back and forth. Put something large in to the Supercharger exit hole and move it back and forth just keep doing to it. May have to put some heat on it if it's really bad.

+1
    Safe to torch at the shaft? Aren't there orings on the S/C shaft?

Re salt: I don't think it was salt, just not rinsed ..did a quick taste test and nothing salty

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    gently work a small shallow chisel into the area at the rear facing bolt. Couple of light taps should start it moving.

you can bung it up there a little without too much worry.

I agree with Joe. I have had a few corroded like that and had to use heat to help get it off. You can relplace the o rings. I would never do that with engine in the ski though. Try removing the J-pipe totally to get more room to lightly smack and wiggle the charger back and forth while pulling out. Keep soaking and lubing. You will need patience as too much force will crack the housing.

+1
    Agreed with piece of lumber in the SC exit for more leverage. Just keep trying to wiggle it back and forth and back and forth and back and forth, with plenty of penetrating fluid. Eventually it'll budge more and more and more.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 83Gator View Post
    Your bolt removal looks correct; I was most curious about the bottom b/c it's easy to think you have it when you're removing one off the charger's housing. But it looks like you got it right. By looking at the pix, it looks like there's been some salt riding and/or the engine bay wasn't rinsed out to often - which leads me to beleive it may be slightly siezed w/rust from charger to block. Maybe some liquid wrench overnight???
    I believe Gator is probably right, but it seems that the bottom bolt should be a little more to the left of the shaft. It's hard to tell by the pic.

+1
    Will try again later today, there's no other bolt on the bottom ..the mirror is slightly skewed so it seems like its closer to the shaft. The only bolt to the left of the one I took out is the one on the housing that the SC attaches too. I actually had that half way out at one point

+1
    OMG I got it out, after over two hours of banging on it, moving it 1/2" in circular motion back and forth it came out. I don't get why it was stuck so badly, no rust anywhere.

So... I'm a little surprised what I found, gold washers on a 2007 which supposedly was rebuild couple years back. I thought stock 2008 came with these, were they also sold as rebuild kits at some point?

I really don't want to rebuild this right now
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150528_195039.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	360464   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150528_194311.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	71.4 KB 
ID:	360463  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information