+1

Towing Ski's in the water

I've seen some talk on here about some ski's you can't tow in the water without installing a block off valve to keep water from going up into the motor... Can anyone explain to me what exactly needs to be blocked off? Just incase it comes up and so I know. Riding with a 2006 Kawa stx 15f and 2014 fx svho cruiser.. Thanks guys.

+1
    Me to.

+1
    What needs to be shut off is the flow from the pump to cool the exhaust. If not shut off, it will fill the cylinders with water and you end up with hydrolock.

I had the dealer show me where it is on my FX HO, so I'm gonna guess it's the same on your SVHO. Pull off the rear seat. Then pull out the waterproof container. Now, when you look down, you'll see some tubing at the bottom of the hull that splits into a "Y." The red part of the Y is the place to clamp down with some vice grips.

+1
    I've seen other regular posters like Julio and that guy who has the rental business in florida (can't remember his name) say it was totally unnecessary for the Yamaha's. I would love an explanation of why that is and what makes the Yamaha different than other brands with regards to water towing.

+1
    Tony (the guy with the rentals)... Is who told me that 1000% you don't have to do anything special.

He was very passionate about the subject.

6. +1 by:

Towing Ski's in the water

Yup, no need to clamp hoses on the yamahas.

However those are perfect instructions on how to tow a seadoo. When i had seadoos i just put a ball valve on that line with the red stripe on it, so it didnt take any special tools to stop the water from filling the cylinders. Too bad i kept forgetting to open it after i towed it and ended up blowing big holes (i didnt customers did) twice on two different skis mufflers and melted exhaust sensor. Oye...what a pain in the ass those seadoos were. No more seapoos for me tho and no more headaches

+1
    Thanks Tony, sorry to refer to you as "that guy from florida", why is there is difference? Are the doo's and Yam's just plumbed differently?

9. +1 by:

Haha i have been referred to much worse things. The Keys is much nicer then most of florida. Basically im on a tiny rock faaar away from land. In 1982 we succeeded from the US and became a micronation, we referred to ourselves as the Conch Republic.

Towed a sea doo sc with out doing anything. It was an emergency tow where it was life or death for the ski and rider before heading in a lock dam rollers. Had to tow the ski at 30mph to be able to go against the current in servre flood waters on the mississippi r. Ski was fine besides a hose popped off spilling some water. Which was no big deal. But other wise it was fine. Would not suggest doing if I could clamp the line.

Thread Information