Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: first time out

+1

first time out

I'm finally looking to go out with my new rxp for the first time this coming weekend and its all new to me so im a little nervous about doing everything correctly. Any tips or advice to give a first timer? how long to run the ski at home before bringing it to the water, ramp etiquette, post ride flushing, etc. its all brand new to me so any and all advice is welcomed and appreciated. looking to be in the Delaware or toms river

+1
    I wouldn't run it out of the water for any longer than 1 minute at idle. Less if you are revving it for any reason. The carbon seal that keeps water out of the ski gets hot really fast and can wear out quicker as a result, causing a leak where the driveshaft enters the hull.

As far as ramp etiquette - have everything ready to go before you clog up the launching lanes. Ropes, lifevest, key, everything loaded in the ski that you'll be bringing with you.

For post-ride flushing, make sure you turn the engine on first, then turn the water on, then water off, lastly engine gets turned off. Follow similar guideline of running the engine for no more than 1 minute out of the water.

For your first time out, I would steer clear of getting close to any other boats/skis etc. When docking make sure to take it slow. See if you can get used to the reverse system away from the ramp, in open water, if possible.

Don't forget to tighten the drain plugs in the rear of the ski.

+1
    all some solid pointers, thanks

+1
    If you have a passenger tell them if they feel like they are going to fall off not to take you with them. It's so much easier to be able to have the driver and ski swing back around to pick them up then to have to swim to the damn thing with your life vest on. Always watch out for swimmers and downed waterskiers bobbing in the water if that is going on in the water you're on.

+1
    Lack of ramp etiquette is something that drives me nuts - to the point that I will sometimes confront them when I see an idiot (new folks I help). If the ramp you are going to has floating docks, don't tie ski at the base of the ramp...preventing others from using ramp till you park car and collect ski. Pull away from docks and tie to surrounding floating dock or beach it if there is room. The exception is if the ramps only have docks where the ramp ends and at low volume, empty ramps.

Also, when you pull ski out of ramp, pull far forward so you aren't blocking anyone. Make sure you attach the bow hook before you pull out!!!

The fact that you are asking these questions is good, cuz you will not be one-of-those-guys.

ps. If you see lots of swimmers in the water wearing red and yellow swim caps, remember...turn left on red and turn right on yellow.

+1
    Read your Owners Manual several times. Practice raising the iBr gate with the iBr Override procedure. Know how to do it cold on the water. The reason is you then you can inspect the pump area for debris, connections, bolts, etc.

Put a wrench on every bolt, nut, fastener, hose clamp you can access on the entire ski. Trust me you WILL find several of them loose from the dealer. After riding it a few hours, do it again.

Do NOT use the Learners key for engine break in, read the manual, run up through the power band smoothly initially, like 3000, 3500, 4000, 4500, then back down to idle, repeat and keep adding 500 rpm each time, work up to almost full throttle, repeat, after an hour or so of this, rev it up pretty high near 8000 rpm but don't hold it there for more than a few seconds. Keep repeating the process until you are running the shit out of it for a few seconds. Cool down cycles are important also. Don't baby it, the ECU has built in limiters and you will feel it start to open up after a few hours and fully open up after 5-7 hours depending how aggressive you are. You are setting the pistons rings with this process, so work up to running it pretty hard after smooth warm ups through the whole power band. After about 7 hours your WOT runs should last 30 seconds or so.

Get very comfortable with the ski before you take a passenger!

NEVER let anyone ride your ski until you have personally trained them yourself. You are ultimately liable for anything that happens with your ski!

Be smart, safe, and courteous.

+1
    again thanks for the tips, I'm definitely going to torque the bolts and stuff before heading out and i have read the manual once when i first got the ski so ill go back and breeze through it again. I've been on skis plenty of times and on the recreational ones feel confident in my riding level, of course this is a big jump in power from what I've rode and I've got to get familiar with it, just like anything else with big power. For the first hour i planned to be nice and easy varying the rpm's and as the hours progress get more aggressive with it to set the seals well, basically what jpt recommended doing. The ramp is the only thing I'm a little shaky on..never launched anything before and haven't towed much in my life either so it'll be nice and slow backing up at the ramp for me lol. any more pointers just throw them out there I'll take every bit of advice I can get

+1
    Make sure you can attach something to the edge of your trailer so you can see it when backing up. Many times you can't see the trailer without the ski on board.
    I recommend taking it out a few times at off peak times to practice gently docking your ski when you return from your ride, and practice retrieving and launching as well. These will likely be the only stress inducing times you will encounter. If you have a newer ski with IBR it will be a piece of cake.
    Good luck.

+1
    When I first got my ski a few weeks back, I never trailed anything before hand. What I did was, I went to our private marina (it was colder then, so barley anyone there) and practiced going down the ramp (with the ski). I also practiced backing up in reverse, doing turns, going up and down the launch ramp, and everything else. This entire time, I never even took the ski out (due to the weather).

So, if you have a ramp and it's not a busy one, try backing down it a few times, and always remember to use your emergency brake.

+1
    yea im going to practice backing up around my neighborhood or somewhere else prior, i think all the ramps will be busy by this time. emergency brake is definitely getting put to use lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information