Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rxpx 260 loss of power and bogging down after 3k rpm !!!!

Hey guys, recently took out the Rxp for some riding in the ocean. The ski was fine the whole ride up until the ride back to the dock. From a stand still, i went full throttle and when the ski got up to about 50 MPH it made a weird sound like if something popped and it started bogging down with no acceleration. I turned off the ski. When i turned it back on, it started fine but the engine quickly started making a sound as if something was loose and the sound got worse as i gave it throttle. Luckily i was with a group of friends and they towed me back to the dock. I got home and ran the ski on the flush kit and everything sounded perfect. I checked the oil in the engine and there was basically nothing in there!!!

I took the ski to my local dealer (Riva Motorsports) here in miami and explained the oil problem and the sounds it was making. They called me about a week later and told me that i should be more aware of the ski when it has performance parts on it. Mind you, i have a rear exhaust kit and a speed module on the ski. After a nice talk with them they told me they would change the oil and filter, spark plugs, drain the gas it had (no more than 3 gallons) and water test it to see if any fault codes appeared. The ski was not giving me any fault codes to begin with and the $$$ they wanted for that "repair" was pretty high IMO, so i just told them to change the oil and filter. I got the ski back and checked the plugs myself. they didnt look bad but i changed all 3 of them anyways. Put the ski back in water and started it. The start-up was fine with no immediate sound. I revved it slowly and after about 3000 rpm it seemed to loose power (sounded like something slipped) completely and the engine sound from before came back. I did this about 5 more times and every time it was the same exact issue. Took the ski out and went home. Once again, ski runs fine on flush kit but has the symptoms when in the water.

Now im trying to figure out what the issue could be before having to take it in again and most likely pay a major repair bill.

Any Suggestions?????!!!!!!

+1
    May have sucked up some debri in the prop/pump ? Your saying there was no oil on the dipstick?

No oil on the dipstick. Checked the grate and there was nothing in there. Pump and impeller seem fine. Nothing on the driveshaft.

+1
    did you check the intercooler? if it is leaking it will be pumping water through the intake and will reduce rpms and stumble quite bad.

Have not checked the intercooler. How would i know if the cooler is leaking? Taking out the hose and checking for water??

+1
    Take the hose off from the ic to the throttle body, rev it up on the hose and see if water sprays out the ic.

+1
    take the hose off that hooks to the intake manifold and start it up, it needs to be connected to water or in the water, as you rev it up water will blow out of the intercooler outlet hose if it has failed

ok i will check that out today when i get home and see if thats the problem. i will report back to let you guys know. thanks for the help so far!

+1
    i would be trying to figure out why you have no oil on the dipstick........

These skis use oil . If you don't check them often it will sneek up on you and def check that intercooler !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information