Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Adjust timing outside the hull

Pulled a motor this last weekend out of a 2000 SLX. Just wondering if it's possible to adjust timing to the new CDI without it being all hooked up in the hull? If so, what steps do you take to adjust it? Anyone know what the factory timing should be for a 2000 SLX?

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    23 degrees@ 3000 RPM. You could theoretically bolt the engine down to something and do the timing outside of the hull.

+1
    Ok I can do that, what exactly needs to be hooked up then? Battery to electrical box I assume? What about fuel?

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    you'll need a dial indicator,9 volt battery and a shit load of patience.

+1
    So if I don't have a lot of patience, better bet is to put it back in the hull, hook everything up and use a flush kit? Either way how exactly does one go about adjusting it? I figured the flywheel had to be off, which is near impossible to do if in the hull?

+1
    i've got a cut stator cover to hold the bendix in place for in hull adjustments.$20 shipped then do the same for someone else

+1
    Bolt the engine down, hook up the battery to starter, electrical box blah blah blah, carbs on it, fuel out of a coffee can( should work just fine) take the plug out of the top of the stator housing, and get a timing light.....

+1
    if its in the hull and running check it in the hull,use a mirror after you mark the right degree.no need to hook to a flush,takes about 10 seconds to check,as long as its running under 3500 rpms it should show the correct mark.IF you have to adjust it then its more detailed to change the setting but can still be done in the hull.on the flywheel itself are 2 allen screws recessed into the flywheel near the center,you would loosen those and twist them and the holder thats behind the flywheel,DO NOT REMOVE THE ALLEN SCREWS,just loosen them some,make the adjustment then snug them up and recheck,repeat until you get the timing right then tighten them down.the cut stator cover allows you to restart the motor between checks without reassembling it all.dribble oil down the carb throats each time to compensate for the pump not running.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost_recon88 View Post
    Pulled a motor this last weekend out of a 2000 SLX. Just wondering if it's possible to adjust timing to the new CDI without it being all hooked up in the hull? If so, what steps do you take to adjust it? Anyone know what the factory timing should be for a 2000 SLX?
    You gonna put the motor back in anyway, just time it in the boat, like Doug said it's easy with the cut cover , start it check timing and adjust it to 23 degrees, then verify !!!! ( lock tight the screws on the flywheel when done with blue lock tite . ) I've seen them come out when guys don't tighten them enough and take out the stator as they grind around on the magnets , just take a minute and lock em in!! and use fogging oil in the carbs as Doug said, you won't run it long anyway, takes less than 10 seconds to check with the light . Simple procedure.

might be a stupid question, why do you need to adjust timing ?
    i changed both my 1997 sl 1050 with the update kit
    and a 1997 sl 780 with a 1996 sl 780 cdi they both work fine is there something i should look out for when chaning a cdi ?
    i don't understand this timing thing and why people adjust it would be great if someone explained thank you very much

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information