97 GSi - How to move the Ring Seal Carrier on the drive shaft?

I'm trying to change out the worn cracked boot/bellows in the drive shaft in my 97 GSi. I've read the service manual and it instructs that the ring seal carrier slides back to expose a wire ring that comes off so the drive shaft will slide through the carrier. I can't get this ring seal carrier to slide back to get at that retaining ring. Any suggestions on how to get this to move? From the parts drawings it looks line there are orings inside of the Ring Seal Carrier that may be preventing it from sliding easily? Maybe some oil on the orings if I can get to them when pushing back/compressing the boot/bellows I'm trying to replace. Thanks in advance for your advice.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to GH

You'll find plenty of help in driveshaft work by using the search feature.

Getting the ring back can be troublesome, you'll want to make sure you stuff some rags around the driveshaft to catch the clip when you get it off ( try to replace the clip with new)

use oil sparingly, you don't want to contaminate the carbone seal.

Biggest newbie mistake on that is pulling the pump off first. Leave it on until the clip is in your hand.

Replace the clamps with new high quality ones. A broken clamp will just ruin your day.

+1
    AN extra pair of hands makes this a piece of cake. I use a big adjustable wrench and spread the jaws to fit the collar. I then pull backwards while my wife uses a pair of needlenose pliers to push the retainer down towards the hull. Then just remove the pump and pull the shaft.

Thanks for your replies. I did a search before posting but must not of hit on the right search words.

I did make the newbie mistake of pulling the pump but realized pretty quickly that the shaft needed a stop so I put it back on for now. I guess I'll have to figure out a way to get some additional leverage. I'll try the wrench as Myself recommends.

What causes the friction between the shaft and the carrier? The Orings? My ski is a fresh water ski so no saltwater corrosion.

Thanks

+1
    I use a balljoint fork and my meanest look and a pretty big rubber hammer. Works every time, mostly.

Got it to move with a hammer and piece of wood. I should have spread a little lube on the drive shaft before and after the carrier so it would slide smoother once it got going. I lubed it up for the re-install and it went back on very easily. Thanks for the help.

+1
    unless you are changing the carbone ring, keep any and all lubricants away from the mating surface.

clean the top hat well with brake cleaner. A proper repair calls for new orings in the hat, but you can often get by a few times with just the slightest hint of a leak

Thread Information