Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Bamaboy1325's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Valley, AL
    Posts
    28
    +1
    1

    01 GP 1200R Exhaust Warning

    I am an extreme newbie to this site and PWC's so please bare with me and thanks in advance... I bought an 01 GP 1200R completely stock from what I was told. It ran fine on the test drive. We took it out this weekend and the the exhaust warning flashed at least 3 times within maybe an hours time. I would press the mode button to silence the alarm and ease back to the dock and cut the ski off. It would not come on again after restarting and running but then 20 min later it does it again. I've read on here about exhaust temps and other things but mine just said exhaust. I'm asking is that what this is and if so what do I need to do to fix it? Thanks!!!


  2. #2
    Ski Hacks MG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,244
    +1
    995
    Very common.

    You need to replace the OEM catalytic converter with a D-Plate and add the temp sensor chip. The converter probably came apart. Make sure to pull the exhaust and remove any pieces of the cat that may have broken off and went into the rest of the exhaust and water box.

    D-Plate: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1119

    Temp sensor chip: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=118

  3. +1 by:


  4. #3
    Bamaboy1325's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Valley, AL
    Posts
    28
    +1
    1
    Thanks for the quick response. Is this something that's fairly easy to do or does it need to be done by a professional? I'm not a mechanic by no means but I'm not scared to try. I'm just not familiar at all with boats or pwc's.

  5. #4
    Ski Hacks MG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,244
    +1
    995
    Removing the exhaust is very tricky and will make you pull your hair out if you do not know what you are doing. There are many threads here describing the process. While you are at it, install WaveEater PV Clips and you really should redo the oil injection lines at each carb while you have the exhaust system removed because they pull loose and will cause you to ruin a cylinder when that particular cylinder loses oil. Yamaha didn't leave enough slack in the oil lines and pretty much EVERY single ski has the lines pulling loose from the rear cylinder and possibly the middle cylinder as well. Not a matter of if, but when but it will pop the cylinder if the lines come loose. Those few things are the important things you can do to ensure your 66V motor is reliable.


  6. #5
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    9,986
    +1
    2,636
    check the wire coming off the heat sensor on the pipe. If it's not plugged into to the harness, the cat may have been removed already, in which case you're getting a warning due to lack of water in the pipe which is the result of a couple of bleed holes between sections being clogged.

    still a royal pain to repair

  7. +1 by:


  8. #6
    dockwalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    On the water near Belhaven,NC
    Posts
    377
    +1
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Removing the exhaust is very tricky and will make you pull your hair out if you do not know what you are doing. There are many threads here describing the process. While you are at it, install WaveEater PV Clips and you really should redo the oil injection lines at each carb while you have the exhaust system removed because they pull loose and will cause you to ruin a cylinder when that particular cylinder loses oil. Yamaha didn't leave enough slack in the oil lines and pretty much EVERY single ski has the lines pulling loose from the rear cylinder and possibly the middle cylinder as well. Not a matter of if, but when but it will pop the cylinder if the lines come loose. Those few things are the important things you can do to ensure your 66V motor is reliable.
    This exhaust system is why I have no hair now!

  9. #7
    Bamaboy1325's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Valley, AL
    Posts
    28
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Very common.

    You need to replace the OEM catalytic converter with a D-Plate and add the temp sensor chip. The converter probably came apart. Make sure to pull the exhaust and remove any pieces of the cat that may have broken off and went into the rest of the exhaust and water box.

    D-Plate: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1119

    Temp sensor chip: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=118


    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat con 1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	361978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat con 3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	361980

    Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. As you can tell from the pics it was a mess. I installed the D-plate and chip and after one test run there was no exhaust warning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat con 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	361979  

  10. #8
    Ski Hacks MG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    5,244
    +1
    995
    Did you check the oil lines (where they connect to the carbs) while you had the exhaust out?

  11. #9
    Bamaboy1325's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Valley, AL
    Posts
    28
    +1
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Did you check the oil lines (where they connect to the carbs) while you had the exhaust out?
    I'm not gonna lie and say I did because I really didn't think to. That shows my level of expertise with waverunners. Even though you said it I didn't come back to the post. I'm not done though. I've got a lot to learn about them. Thanks for the help

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Water in GP 1200R exhaust chamber
    By Mafungo in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-26-2016, 10:10 AM
  2. 2001 GP 1200R and XLT 1200 Overheat Exhaust Warning
    By Drusso in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-27-2014, 03:28 PM
  3. 01 gp 1200r bad cdi box????
    By 1fast04neon in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-25-2013, 04:53 PM
  4. Gp 1200r exhaust valves
    By barge bait in forum Yamaha Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-25-2012, 03:13 AM
  5. Do i get rid of catylaic conv. in exhaust or replace sensors 00 gp 1200r
    By motormadness in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-10-2011, 08:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •