+1

01 GP 1200R Exhaust Warning

I am an extreme newbie to this site and PWC's so please bare with me and thanks in advance... I bought an 01 GP 1200R completely stock from what I was told. It ran fine on the test drive. We took it out this weekend and the the exhaust warning flashed at least 3 times within maybe an hours time. I would press the mode button to silence the alarm and ease back to the dock and cut the ski off. It would not come on again after restarting and running but then 20 min later it does it again. I've read on here about exhaust temps and other things but mine just said exhaust. I'm asking is that what this is and if so what do I need to do to fix it? Thanks!!!

+1
    Very common.

You need to replace the OEM catalytic converter with a D-Plate and add the temp sensor chip. The converter probably came apart. Make sure to pull the exhaust and remove any pieces of the cat that may have broken off and went into the rest of the exhaust and water box.

D-Plate: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1119

Temp sensor chip: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=118

3. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks for the quick response. Is this something that's fairly easy to do or does it need to be done by a professional? I'm not a mechanic by no means but I'm not scared to try. I'm just not familiar at all with boats or pwc's.

+1
    Removing the exhaust is very tricky and will make you pull your hair out if you do not know what you are doing. There are many threads here describing the process. While you are at it, install WaveEater PV Clips and you really should redo the oil injection lines at each carb while you have the exhaust system removed because they pull loose and will cause you to ruin a cylinder when that particular cylinder loses oil. Yamaha didn't leave enough slack in the oil lines and pretty much EVERY single ski has the lines pulling loose from the rear cylinder and possibly the middle cylinder as well. Not a matter of if, but when but it will pop the cylinder if the lines come loose. Those few things are the important things you can do to ensure your 66V motor is reliable.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    check the wire coming off the heat sensor on the pipe. If it's not plugged into to the harness, the cat may have been removed already, in which case you're getting a warning due to lack of water in the pipe which is the result of a couple of bleed holes between sections being clogged.

still a royal pain to repair

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CCW View Post
    Removing the exhaust is very tricky and will make you pull your hair out if you do not know what you are doing. There are many threads here describing the process. While you are at it, install WaveEater PV Clips and you really should redo the oil injection lines at each carb while you have the exhaust system removed because they pull loose and will cause you to ruin a cylinder when that particular cylinder loses oil. Yamaha didn't leave enough slack in the oil lines and pretty much EVERY single ski has the lines pulling loose from the rear cylinder and possibly the middle cylinder as well. Not a matter of if, but when but it will pop the cylinder if the lines come loose. Those few things are the important things you can do to ensure your 66V motor is reliable.
    This exhaust system is why I have no hair now!

+1
    Very common.

You need to replace the OEM catalytic converter with a D-Plate and add the temp sensor chip. The converter probably came apart. Make sure to pull the exhaust and remove any pieces of the cat that may have broken off and went into the rest of the exhaust and water box.

D-Plate: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...oducts_id=1119

Temp sensor chip: http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=118

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat con 1.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	361978Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat con 3.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	180.6 KB 
ID:	361980

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. As you can tell from the pics it was a mess. I installed the D-plate and chip and after one test run there was no exhaust warning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cat con 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	115.5 KB 
ID:	361979  

+1
    Did you check the oil lines (where they connect to the carbs) while you had the exhaust out?

+1
    Did you check the oil lines (where they connect to the carbs) while you had the exhaust out?
    I'm not gonna lie and say I did because I really didn't think to. That shows my level of expertise with waverunners. Even though you said it I didn't come back to the post. I'm not done though. I've got a lot to learn about them. Thanks for the help

Thread Information