Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Gallery: Celebrating 10 Years of The Greenhulk.net Mudbug

The rain fell so hard against the windshield that I had to slow down just so that the wipers could catch up. Charcoal gray skies dropped a silvery curtain, drenching everything between Nashville and Huntsville, Alabama. Breaks in the downpour provided a little relief between showers all the way to Birmingham. The route to this year’s Mudbug in Morgan City, Louisiana was a wet one, and only a small taste of Mother Nature’s irritable mood.

A few extra stops along the way and some construction zones delayed our early afternoon arrival a few hours, but not enough to miss a personal invite by Greenhulk.net’s founder Jerry Gaddis to join him that Friday evening, some family and the “Yamaha guys” at his parents’ camp along the Avoca Island Cutoff, glassy green vein of bayou running alongside Highway 70.

More at WatercraftJournal.Com
    Last edited by Rustymuscle; 05-25-2015 at 06:32 AM.

+1
    Kevin - glad you and your daughter made it down to experience some SoLA wet stuff. Hopefully, I'll make it next year, too. Thanks for sharing.

+1
    Nice article! I can't believe that thug from Da Perrishhhhhhhhh done stole my credick!* And my name is "BrYan. And if you must use my last name, it's Muirhead.

*That was my write-up except for the part where you switched the names around.

+1
    I must and I will correct the story accordingly, BrYan.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    *That was my write-up except for the part where you switched the names around.
    What part got switched?

+1
    Okay, the first part is here where it says Billy Duplessis.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Watercraft Journal
    Earlier that day, MudBuggers who had traveled down earlier had joined Billy Duplessis for an adventure ride. Billy recounted the day’s ride to The Watercraft Journal, “Steven (‘Stevencr21′) finally responded to all of my begging for somebody to ride with. And Cliff (‘Rooster’) was gonna be just in time. So we launched out of Amelia on three skis. Steven also had the lovely Maddy with him. Me? Well, I had not one, but two GPS’ with the Mega Marsh Loop loaded into them.
    Then there is this part:
    Quote Originally Posted by The Watercraft Journal
    …several other vehicles with skis pulling in. My dad (Billy Duplessis Sr), Tee-Billy, Bryan Muirhead (‘DrivingZiggy’), Lance Mercier, and Kenny Blum. And they were daring enough to go along with us and trust me to guide them through the marsh.
    I was the one witnessing as I was already on the water, and Grande Billy is not my dad.

Also, I'm pretty sure that my ski was the only one throwing codes. Billy's seemed to work flawlessly. Of course, it was the first mistake that led to the rest of them. Like a bunch of dominoes. Damn! Now I want pizza.

+1
    Here's the whole story without edits just to remind you.
    Quote Originally Posted by DrivingZiggy View Post
    Well, I guess I'll give you the blow-by-blow. Steven finally responded to all of my begging for somebody to ride with. And Cliff was gonna be just in time! So we launched out of Amelia on 3 skis. Steven also had the lovely Maddy with him. Me? Well, I had not one but TWO GPSes with the Mega Marsh Loop loaded into them.

So we took off! Everything was going swimmingly for a few miles. Well, Steven's ski wasn't giving him the speed it needed to. But then we saw what looked like fog up ahead. Nope, wasn't fog. It was rain. So that took the wind out of our sails and we just turned around and headed back to Amelia.

So we decided that after Steven changed his spark plugs we would make another attempt. As the mechanicking was taking place, Cliff and I lounged and jaw-jacked. What do we see? Several other vehicles with skis pulling in. Grande Billy, Tee-Billy, Lance, and Kevin(Kenny?). And they were daring enough to go along with us and TRUST ME to guide them through the marsh. Buncha goobers if you ask me!

Ils sont partie! (We're off!)

It wasn't too long before my ski threw a code. And it mysteriously cleared up after a few minutes. So we're cruising all over the marsh. Things were going well. We saw a couple of eagles and lots of other birds including great blue herons and egrets. "May have" seen an alligator, but all I really saw was a ripple in the water as I approached.

We were pretty relieved to arrive in Du Large where we were able to refuel the skis and (some of) the humans. Cliff was getting antsy by this time, though, as he really, really wanted to meet up with the other group at 4:00 for an excursion into the other side of the swamp. I wanted to go also, but was beginning to see that the Mega Marsh Loop takes quite a bit longer than I remembered.

So then my ski threw a code again as we were going through Houma. And then my ski threw a code again a few miles later. It always recovered, but it was annoying.

And then we took a wrong turn. I must have saved the route wrong or something, because we took a right into Lake Hackberry and as we made our left out of Lake Hackberry, the GPS told me we had reached our destination. Lawwwwwwwwwwwd! Everybody was so pleased with me at that point. Some even pledged their undying loyalty and willingness to follow me anywhere!

So we backtracked to the Intracoastal and managed to find our way back to Amelia. No injuries if you don't count sunburn. Safe and sound. But too late to join the other crew.

We discovered Grace waiting for us at the ramp. Apparently she had been there for 5 hours. Shucks, if we had known that we could have waited for her and she could have become just as lost as the rest of us!

Moral of the story? Ain't nobody can be a Legend except The Legend, himself.
    By the way, I just saw your cousin on American Ninja Warrior tonight. They had posters calling him the "Ginja Ninja."
    Last edited by DrivingZiggy; 05-26-2015 at 12:46 AM.

+1
    OMG. He sent me your story and I thought it was from him, not you. OK, I've got some work to do.

And the "LOL" is going to give me a seizure. Turn it off!!!

+1
    Dang it! That was my first chance ever to use that thing. Oh, well.

Billy Duplessis is to be credited for having the screen name(s) and correct names for the other folks, though. And also any pictures since my ONLY contribution was the "Smooth Ride" YouChoooooooob.

When I referred to "Grande Billy" and "Tee Billy," I was using Cajun for the Williams Duplessis Senior and Junior. Grande being pronounced "Grawnh" and meaning "big" while "Tee" (I think) is short for "petite," meaning "little." That's how we sometimes refer to seniors and juniors.

10. +1 by:

+1
    OK, please review the story again and make sure I got it right. I'm so sorry, Bryan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information