NEED HELP!!!! No spark 2002 Virage TX

i have a 02 polaris virage tx this problem started last year; pulled ski out to start up before going out for the first day of the season after winter storage, would not start, determined it had no spark . The engine would turn over and the bilge pump worked i have tested the stator and i believe it is good,but after that test the engine now will not turn over and i have no bilge pump. Have since had the cdi tested and it tested bad, so i replaced it-- still no spark and no bilge pump. Replaced the voltage regulator and the plug wires and plugs--still nothing !!

Does anyone have any tips or advice as to where to go from here ? This has always been a great ski and I hate to junk it just because I cannot figure this out. Any help is much appreciated.

Michael
    Pearland, TX

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2boys2skis View Post
    i have a 02 polaris virage tx this problem started last year; pulled ski out to start up before going out for the first day of the season after winter storage, would not start, determined it had no spark . The engine would turn over and the bilge pump worked i have tested the stator and i believe it is good,but after that test the engine now will not turn over and i have no bilge pump. Have since had the cdi tested and it tested bad, so i replaced it-- still no spark and no bilge pump. Replaced the voltage regulator and the plug wires and plugs--still nothing !!

Does anyone have any tips or advice as to where to go from here ? This has always been a great ski and I hate to junk it just because I cannot figure this out. Any help is much appreciated.

Michael
    Pearland, TX
    Have you checked Battery Voltage while cranking? how about all the ground locations? good solid connections? on the Domestic engines, they need a STRONG battery to start them, more then 10.6 V WHILE CRANKING, if your cranking and not getting spark. that could very well be a cause of a no spark situation, other possibilites are the Coil died....thats less likely though

Over Memorial Day weekend I replaced my lr505. Son number 2 (a FORD mechanic) offered his 2cents just as I was tightening everything up. I replaced lr505 and he squirted carb cleaner in the spark plug seats and in the carb (ski has been sick for 12 mos now and no doubt has bad gas in it). He took the spark plug out but with the wire connected and held it to ground while I crossed over the solenoid to start the engine. Perfection, strong spark in each of the spark plugs!!! Great, right? Not. We hooked up the water hose and started again with no trouble. Ran as much of the bad gas as possible out. Engine reved and ran just as expected. Idled with no issue.

Cleaned up ski and put it back in garage with intention of chasing down why start/stop switch still wasn't working next weekend.

Next weekend I pulled out ski. Now with everything working save the switch, I double checked my old CDI and LR505 to insure they were in fact the issue before trashing them. Put them back in the ski one at a time (bad LR with new CDI and bad CDI with new LR) No spark, no nothing. Took them out, installed new parts again. This is where my trouble begins again. No spark!

I came back to the forum and read some more. I have taken EVERY connection loose from the CDI and the LR and sanded them, cleaned them, dried them and reconnected them. Good news the start/stop switch and the bilge are working again!!! But still no spark.

Here are my questions:

Could I have shorted out the new LR505 when I put back in the bad CDI to insure it was bad?
    Could I have shorted out the new CDI when I put back in the bad LR505 to insure it was bad? (I hope this is not the case.)

What else could I be over looking?

Thanks as always for your help.

Try looking at the ground on the engine block behind the starter. Also Manually hold the kill switch out as far as possible. Basic thing but you have to make sure there is no corrosion on that engine block.

Thanks, will work on making sure all grounds are clean and secure. We use it in salt water so this is no doubt a strong possibility.

Side note, I read somewhere here on the forum that I should never jump start a ski using the battery in my truck. Is this true? I read doing this could ruin the stator. Only problem using my ski battery with a no spark or starting issue is that it runs down a fresh battery pretty quick when you have to start the ski over and over. But with that said I certainly dont want to cause myself any more issues. Your thoughts?

As always, thanks for your input.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    You can connect the truck as long as the truck is NOT running.

still having problems with ski . if any one knows 0f someone who works on polaris in the houston area and does not mind giving contact info i would be great full . i am getting like 190 rpm when i crank it , battery is new
    still no spark i have done all the above and still no spark

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Bypass the LR module. Check for spark with new CDI.

Thread Information