Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erratic RPMS

+1

Erratic RPMS

2014 RXT-X 260 (23 hrs)

Today I installed my R&D Intake Grate and went out for a ride. After my ski warmed up (5mins), I gradually accelerated up WOT top speed (72mph) with no issues. 30 mins into the ride, I went into an area of smooth water to do a few WOT hole-shot. Did 2 WOT hole-shots up to top speed (no issues). While doing an accelerated turn to top speed, the engine starting becoming erratic (fluctuating RPMs). So I decide to head back to shore and take my ski home. During the return back to shore, the RPMs continued to surge up and down (from 4000 - 6000 RPMs). On the last stretch of smooth water, I gradually accelerated up to WOT since the fluctuation stop, but the RPMs would not go pass 6000 RPMs. I was pondering what could be the problem. My thoughts were bad fuel, foul spark plugs, or a bad intercooler. I check the haul to ensure I was not taking in water or any hoses that may have come off (no water and all hoses are secured!). As for the fuel, I filled my car up at the same time I fuel my ski (93 Octane) and my car is running fine. So, I don't think its bad fuel. I'm going to change the spark plugs and go out tomorrow to see if this is the culprit, but I have a sneaky suspicion, it may be the intercooler.

So, Questions...

What are your thoughts that may be causing this problem?

In the Maintenance Manual, it gives direction on conducting an intercooler leak test. It also includes a diagram of the Vacuum/Pressure Pump to conduct the leak test. I purchased the test equipment, but when I pulled the hoses off the intercooler, the intercooler inlet/outlet holes are too big for the supplied fittings from the vacuum/pressure pump. S

Has anyone used the Vacuum/Pressure tester below to leak test their intercooler?
    Do I need to purchase a larger fitting to fit over the inlet/outlet hoses?
    What other alternative testing can I do without buying another pressure tester?

Below is the Vacuum/Pressure Tester I purchased.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Pump.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	360090

If the intercooler failed, should I be concerned about water inside the engine?

Thanks

+1
    Any one?

+1
    Check your oil for water

+1
    water in the motor is never good
    you can do a quick test, not as good as the leak down test
    just pull the hose off the throttle body and rev up the motor quick like 7000
    see some/little water is come out is not positive for a leak (condensation)
    lots of water and you have a leak

+1
    The dipstick does not show any indication of water contamination. Should I suspect anything else besides leak testing the intercooler?

+1
    Was it creating full boost?

If not it isn't uncommon for a hose to just losing up enough to cause issues, especially on the intercooler and even the supercharger. Some hoses are hard to see if there on properly. I'd reset each hose and see if the problem exist.

I'd also take the grate off and lift the IBR up see if you sucked anything up. It doesn't take much to cause issues.

Last thing I'd check is the supercharger slip.

These are the easy things to look at.

+1
    Ok....I'll check the SC for the slip and the intake grate.

In the mean time, I pressure tested my intercooler to 10 PSI (per sea-doo maintenance manual) and there was NOT a drop in psi within the 10 mins specified in the manual. I also waited another 10 mins and nothing. I viewed youtube videos and pictorial diagrams posted by others on this forum and attempted to do my setup the same, but would like some opinions on my set up to ensure I can get an accurate test. Is my pressure test setup a good set up? As I said before, I did not notice any drop in psi in my set up.

Also, If you look at the first picture, you can see milky oil inside the hole going to the SC. Googling this problem yield mix results, from completely normal to overfilled oil. When I did my oil change, it was at 3/4 full mark, and now its at 1/2 full mark. To me, this does not seem normal. Can someone confirm and deny my suspicion?

Also, if this is not normal, what should I be concern about and what other areas of the engine should I be looking into to prevent further problems down the road?

Thanks for your input.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150525_145351.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	56.4 KB 
ID:	360156   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150525_145524.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	60.3 KB 
ID:	360155  

+1
    normal goo
    that is why most of us use a catch can
    did all the boost hoses seem tight? did you try to tighten them before removing them

+1
    Acutally, I went back to check the all hoses. The oil is going to the throttle body. Keep in mind, I have yet to fog the TB for storage. What do you think? I also check the hoses and all hose clamps are tighten to specs per maintenance manual. Also, what about my pressure test set up?

+1
    I think I found the culprit!!! When I pulled the cover off the top of the engine, BAM!!!!, I can see the ignition coil off the spark plug. Now I'm wondering, how the hell does an ignition coil come loose by itself? What even more controversial, I had to pull quite hard on the other two ignition coils to get them off.

I'm curious, looking at the old spark plugs vs the new, I notice there are not terminals on the tips of the old spark plugs. Is this normal? Should I remove the terminal cap from the new plugs?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information