GP1200 65U Non-PV Crankshaft Questions

Hey guys,

I do you guys know whats a good bearing(rear side of crankshaft) to get for the crankshaft on a WaveRunner GP1200 65U engine? I am talking about the bearing that what looks to be pressed in WITH the crank on the rear side(or pto side).

I have been doing some research and searching and have found a few info but wanted to actually get you all's input.

I found a WSM bearing - http://www.ebay.com/itm/WSM-Cranksha...-/291362869741

I can't remember what that bearing looks like, if it had ball bearings or the long cylindrical ones (I have to go check tomorrow). All i remember is seeing that big circlip on it.

I also have seen SBT bearings, and also the oem yamaha ones. I'm trying to not go the yamaha route because from what I've read they have the plastic retainer thing and it's really not that great so a meal bearing retainer is better - which from the pics I've seen, WSM and SBT have metal retainers.

My questions would be:

1) Which would you guys rather get? WSM or SBT? I've already read about their pistons and other parts reviews from other people but its for pistons and etc - not the bearing.

2) Anyone of you guys know or have replaced that bearing themselves? IF you have could you post what you did/how you did it?

Thanks.
    Ford

+1
    OEM. Forget about the retainer and what it's made of, the important question is what is the roller material alloy? Is it the same alloy as OEM and can it take the same abuse? What about the chrome plating on the roller surfaces? Is it hard enough? Was the roller properly prepped, or will the chrome flake off after 40hrs causing catastrophic engine failure? Will the cost savings of using a bearing made by the cheapest 3rd world manufacturer outweigh the risk of short lifespan or possible engine destruction? Seems like there are a lot of people who just bought new (to them) skis having bearing problems these days. Possibly the previous owner fixed them cheaply once before and would rather sell than go through that again...especially if all the bearings were cheap. 3rd world manufacturing parts at the cheapest price will never have the longevity of quality made parts from a manufacturer who gives a hoot about their reputation. If you decide you can't spare the money to get the good stuff now, start saving immediately because you'll have the same job to do and then some in about 40hrs.

Thanks for the input. Yeah I actually started thinking about last night, after I posted that question. And I did come to the conclusion that I think I would be better off using the OEM. They made it to handle a specific tolerance and work for the long haul anyway. So yeah I'll be getting the OEM.

Any of you happen to know how to take the bearing off? And install a new one? I've seen people saying press, and i recall also seeing heating it. I'd like to be able to do the work as much as possible on this project. Taking it to a machine shop would be a last resort for me as there's no good ones near me.

+1
    I've always had someone else press the crank stuff. That being said, I know others have done end bearings. You would be surprised at some of the backyard ways I've seen pressed bearings removed on automobile rear end carriers. The main thing to remember is to press on the inner race when reinstalling to avoid bearing damage. Most of the backyard carrier bearing methods I've used or seen, destroyed the old bearings during removal but did not damage the carrier. One guy I worked with would cut a slit into the inner race almost all the way through with a cutoff wheel. Then use an air hammer with a chisel bit to crack it, and then after it cracked, to force it off. Not sure if any of this info will help, but thought I'd share. Maybe do a search and see what you come up with too.

+1
    I just posted a how-to on this.......http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=232032
    Last edited by Myself; 05-26-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Thanks for the tips for removing the bearing. I'll try to get my hands on one of those bearing separators as it looks like the way to go on removing the old crank bearing on the rear side. Also, I actually have a deep fryer that I could use to boil some hot oil and use to heat up the new bearing and should tap into place(hopefully).

Now I got a question about the crank bearing on the front side for the 65U engine, from your experience is it also pressed in or is it just slide it in easy type deal? I'm wondering because when I tried to take that front crank bearing off, it just slide right off. It doesn't seem to be pressed in at all. Wondering if that's normal for this particular engine.

+1
    I've never seen a bearing on any of these cranks slide right off. It should be sn interference fit.

Thread Information