+1

Disassembling a 951 crank

I got a crank I'm rebuilding because the drive gear for the counter balance is all tore up. Man I tell you what the tolerance of tightness of the pins in the webs is crazy tight. I've rebuilt a few cranks myself and I have never had one come apart this hard. The two webs in the center of the crank where the gear is came apart like a shotgun going off. Scared the poop out of me, I just bought a new 20ton press and I'm so glad I got that instead of the 12ton like I almost bought.

Quote Originally Posted by ilovemyskidoo View Post
    I got a crank I'm rebuilding because the drive gear for the counter balance is all tore up. Man I tell you what the tolerance of tightness of the pins in the webs is crazy tight. I've rebuilt a few cranks myself and I have never had one come apart this hard. The two webs in the center of the crank where the gear is came apart like a shotgun going off. Scared the poop out of me, I just bought a new 20ton press and I'm so glad I got that instead of the 12ton like I almost bought.
    20 ton is a bit light for this job, and can be dangerous because of the flex. 50 ton is usually best for these cranks. I did a few, won't ever do them again, too much hassle if you don't have an alignment fixture.

Just a word of advice. Do you know why SBT tack welds them after assembly? Because once you take them apart, they will never go back together again with the same force, and can walk on you. Some people ding SBT for this practice, but it is a must if you want the crank to stay indexed properly.

+1
    Every crank I've done 20tons was more than enough. I always tug weld a small bead on all joints after reassembling. Would I do a crank for a customer no, for a friend maybe my stuff I wouldn't think twice. Taking cranks apart you have to have jigs, otherwise parts can go flying like bullets.

+1
    I once looked into all the necessary fixtures and such but decided the cost of parts plus tooling and labor involved were just not worth it. I think it's great you tackled it yourself though.

Thread Information