+1

Need help with my (NEW to me) Wave raider 1100

I just bought a wave raider 1100 from a buddy of mine. In 2013 he had a new SBT engine installed had about 5 hours riding time on it. It still had about 7 gallons of the break in tank of fuel in it. He hurt his back and never rode it again. He had it winterized and shrunk wrapped and it sat for two years. The engine was fogged and he put stabilizer in the fuel tank.... He wasn't really selling it. I was bringing my other ski over to his dock to keep it on his floating dock on the water. I talked him in to selling it to me. Any way I got it and the trailer for a grand. It is in decent shape, It fired right up when we put a new battery in it. I drained the fuel, rebuilt the carbs and installed a primer kit. For shits and giggles, I decided to do a compression check (AFTER I bought it I know better )...So my reading were like this, 120 PTO, 0 middle, and 112 in the mag. So I am not a happy camper..... I am pricing top end kits now as I have Marvel mystery oil and PB blaster in the center cylinder. I am hoping I have a stuck ring in that middle hole....any input or advice would be great !!! Oil block off is also installed. I think the new SBT engine was installed but the guy that did it for him didn't rebuild the carbs and leaned out that middle cylinder... I don't know why it didn't seize the engine... What is confusing is all the plugs look good...Doesn't look like it was running lean. I know these 1100 triples had issues with one of the cylinders running lean....I just need to get it running reliable...Any help / input would be awesome....

+1
    well here is the reason.... not a happy camper....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150524_120725.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	360086

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Before pulling that head you should have called SBT to see if there was warranty remaining on that motor. You can still call them and ask. All you need is the number on the tag that SBT puts on the motor. Maybe you can get lucky and put the head back on and its still under warranty.

+1
    I will call them... That is a good idea. I was thinking it was a standard engine with a 1 year warranty so it was 2013 when it was installed....Cant hurt to call
    thanks for the input.. I just ordered the 1.5 over top end kit....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by FlMike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
    well here is the reason.... not a happy camper....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150524_120725.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	360086
    Never buy a PWC w/o doing a compression test.
    I know and I know better..... I don't know why I didn't..... I always do.....I had paperwork new SBT engine....5 hours..... I know.....I am kicking myself now.....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    Before pulling that head you should have called SBT to see if there was warranty remaining on that motor. You can still call them and ask. All you need is the number on the tag that SBT puts on the motor. Maybe you can get lucky and put the head back on and its still under warranty.
    Called them and it is out of warranty...oh well it was worth the call though.....lol.....my top end kit should be here tomorrow. I am pulling the cylinders today, drop pistons and jugs off to the boring guy tomorrow....I should have everything back by Monday to reassemble..... so that is where I am at right now.

Thread Information