Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

R&D intake grate fitment sucks its sideways. What can i do?

+1
    Did you use the R&D pump seal kit with it? If so you might have to trim it. You can try installing it without it to see.
    The R&D fitment is total crap, was a royal PIA getting the one I had on my 14 installed.

I had to keep trimming the pump seal kit to get it to fit and even then it really did not fit well as I had to TQ the grate down to get it to sit flush in the rear and front.

Thanks im going to see if i take it off after this weekend and work it to see what i can do. I unfortunaely have to ride it like this :/

+1
    It is designed to hang down. the OEM hangs down too. Coming from the GPR to the FZ, it blew my mind that they designed it that way. There has to be a reason. A few years ago, I filed down the rear mounting tabs on my first R&D grate to make it sit flush. It's been awhile. But I think it raised the ramp higher where it meets the tunnel.

I bought another R&D grate and tested them back to back. Same top speed. So I just went with the hanging down grate. I was more worried of a pump stuff with the filed down one. I still have the other if you want to buy it cheap.

well it seems like its the transom plate that is sideways causeing the intake grate to fit very shitty.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeGPR View Post
    It is designed to hang down. the OEM hangs down too. Coming from the GPR to the FZ, it blew my mind that they designed it that way. There has to be a reason. A few years ago, I filed down the rear mounting tabs on my first R&D grate to make it sit flush. It's been awhile. But I think it raised the ramp higher where it meets the tunnel.

I bought another R&D grate and tested them back to back. Same top speed. So I just went with the hanging down grate. I was more worried of a pump stuff with the filed down one. I still have the other if you want to buy it cheap.

It will always have a lip. Its designed that way as you get air under the plate and increased speed even the stock grate has the lip. That is not his issue.

His issue is that it is not flush, the lip is higher on one side then the other.
    Last edited by SilentShooter; 05-23-2015 at 09:13 PM.

+1
    I don't think the issue is that it's hanging down, it's that it's hanging down lopsided. Look at the pic...it's hanging down more on the left. Take it off and re-try. It looks like it's just not seated right. Don't ride it like that.

8. +1 by:

+1
    The consensus is that his uneven part is between the ride plate and the transom plate (what holds your pump to the ski). The intake grate should not have any effect on that so it must have been that way prior to the intake grate swap. the picture quality is low on my phone so I can not really make it out but at first thought he was saying the grate was not flush when it was mounted.

Long as the back of the intake grate is flush with the transom where it bolts into then its installed correctly. The gap between the transom and the ride plate will require removing the ride plate and checking its spacers and mounting as well as the transom to make sure its true

It still has the stock rideplate spacers on it. Haven't touched the rideplate. ive been riding it this way for 12 hours now.

Heres the gap on my friends stock 14' has a very small gap on the same side.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information