Thread: Wobble rollers

+1

Wobble rollers

I am about to replace my rollers on trailer. does anybody know what the difference is between the ribbed and smooth wobble rollers ? I have the ribbed ones on there now but that was for a fibreglass ski. This is for the plastic hulled spark which do you think would be better ? cheers.

+1
    No way in hell would I use rollers on a Spark - thin plastic hull (or any PWC for that matter). The amount of stress at the few contact points could cause serious mid/long term issue. The spark is already light weight and if someone has a problem launching the Spark from trailer at the boat ramp (when using wood/carpet), then maybe they need to reconsider riding it (ie. litmus test). Seriously, just use wood/carpet planks. Your Spark will thank you (or the next guy you sell it to). Don't forget, the stress on a hull doesn't end when its sitting on trailer...tow it and the pressure increases with each and every bump.

If you are still going to go through with it, use what ever roller that offers most surface area at contact. As long as they are the same size, the smooth roller will offer more support/grip.

+1
    Thanks for that reply. There is no way I'm going back to skids. I launch on the beach so the rollers are definitely the way to go for me. Its not the launching that they come in handy for its the retrieve .Smooth rollers it is. Just for the record we down under all have rollers. Very few have skids.

+1
    Wannaski,
    I've found that the ribbed rollers (typically grey colour) are softer that the smooth rollers. I am about to replace all of my rollers on my dunbier trailer shortly. The ribs on top are applied over a smooth roller.

Sanfish, I would think that these skis cop more of a beating slamming into waves/debris in the water at 65,70,80+mph than any roller trailer could throw at it. I love my roller trailer and wouldn't use anything else.

5. +1 by:

+1
    I agree Curtis . have the ribbed grey on both trailers. However I was thinking that the spark being plastic might go better on the smooth ??

+1
    What brand are you buying ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis_SHO View Post
    Sanfish, I would think that these skis cop more of a beating slamming into waves/debris in the water at 65,70,80+mph than any roller trailer could throw at it. I love my roller trailer and wouldn't use anything else.
    You have a spark that goes 65 to 80+mph? Or are you speaking out of context?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtis_SHO View Post
    You have a spark that goes 65 to 80+mph? Or are you speaking out of context?
    Was talking fibreglass ski. My mistake.
    For the Spark, yes I would possibly go for the softest flat roller you can find (can't remember the colour. Blue I think). My old man has a Sonata trailer sailer that I can deflect the hull with my bare hands by pushing hard on it. Has been fine on flat rollers since '88. Haha. Spark should be no different.

Thread Information