Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned User
    +1

Add me to the list

A few weeks ago I had a dealership install my new throttle cable and fix anything questionable on my ski. The cable broke from the recall but yamaha wouldn't honor it, too old. I told the dealership I didn't want it back unless it was perfect, and I'll replace anything that needs attention. They assured me everything was golden. They replaced rusted clamps on the throttle bodies, all new exhaust gaskets, new throttle cable, cleaned the throttle bodies and injectors, etc. Bill was over $500 and told me it needs absolutely nothing.

20 minutes of runtime later tonight = Motor came apart at WOT. Oil starvation. The initial cause seems to be they didn't set the oil pump cable correctly.

I'm bringing it back to the dealership tomorrow but I fear this will go into litigation.

good luck, unfortunately, I think you'll need it
    Dealers are about as slippery as the oil you engine didnt get

Banned User
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by STX11 View Post
    good luck, unfortunately, I think you'll need it
    Dealers are about as slippery as the oil you engine didnt get
    I know I'm not getting any hopes up.

It still runs on 2 cly, but sounds like I threw a spanner in the motor. No holes. Amazing for something that let go at 7100rpm. I hope the crank and (most of the) barrels are salvageable. If so I'll just fix it, maybe while I'm at it have it ported and stuff. Already reached out to Kevin at West Coast lol

+1
    $500 for them to blow up your ski... that sucks. I feel for ya man. Fix the engine and go premix. You'll never have oil problems again.
    Last edited by Prism; 05-23-2015 at 06:41 AM.

Banned User
    +1
    Yep pretty much. Weighing in my options. So far just in one night I can get a really nice RXP off CL for $3500 cash money. There's also an RXPX swapped GPR on there for $5500 ready to go with mods.

Have you heard back from the Dealer? We'd certainly like to know which dealerror it was. For litigation, you'd need a 3rd party to do the analysis, which most Yami dealers don't want to get in the middle of it.
    I deal with it on the Outboard motor side.

Banned User
    +1
    Seminole Powersports is who did the work. They want the ski back to inspect ASAP. Should I not bring it to them and have a 3rd party look at it???

+1
    I would take to dealer who caused the problem. Give them a chance to admit/acknowledge their mistake ... and see if they will except the responsibility of the repairs to fix right. Take your next action from that response. In my case the dealer admitted to their error but failed to do what was necessary to correct/fix as a result of their errors. I now have my ski @ another shop. The dealer in my case has not heard the last of me. My repairs will be costly and I fully intend to be reimbursed for my damages. Then small claims court if necessary. We will see. Please stay the course if you know for a fact that it was the dealer that caused your engine failure. Good Luck

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by GpaaH View Post
    ... For litigation, you'd need a 3rd party to do the analysis, which most Yami dealers don't want to get in the middle of it...
    If the cause of the damage is (believed to be) an incorrect oil pump adjustment, you need to document the current state of the oil pump and related settings. A trusted and independent third party may be necessary for this.

Once the watercraft is out of your physical control you cannot know if things are 'changed' during the mechanical diagnostic investigation.

Banned User
    +1
    I broght it to the dealer who fixed it. I don't have time for all that. If they don't own up ill sell it for 2k and buy a pre swapped gprxp. 5k for one all day long on CL

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information