Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    +1

Which parts/tools should you have with you on the water?

Hi all,
    Just got my new spark 3up HO, no IBR 2 weeks ago. I have 6 hrs on it and it is running great. I have read through many threads and hear about some problems you may encounter on the water (eg. stuff sucked up in the impeller, broken wear ring etc.). Do you have any recommendations what is a good idea to have with you in terms of tools/parts that you can do/fix yourself while you are out?
    I guess zip ties and duct tape may top the list

+1
    a friend and a tow rope is best not much you can get to on the water
    Last edited by xdrian; 05-21-2015 at 11:42 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xdrian View Post
    a friend and a tow tope is best not much you can get to on the water
    In that case I will also bring a case of beer to cheer me up if I can't ride.

The wear ring seems to be the most likely to be broken when you suck in a stone or wood. Can this at least be replaced? And I mean that I would take the ski out of the water on the trailer to work on it, but wouldn't have to go all the way back home and ruin the day....

I used to have a boat and I always had spare props and was even able to replace one in the water....

Quote Originally Posted by gregc View Post

The wear ring seems to be the most likely to be broken when you suck in a stone or wood. Can this at least be replaced? And I mean that I would take the ski out of the water on the trailer to work on it, but wouldn't have to go all the way back home and ruin the day....

I used to have a boat and I always had spare props and was even able to replace one in the water....
    The wear ring is uber easy to replace if you don't have IBR. I had to replace mine last year within 2 weeks of getting my Spark. Takes like 20 minutes max. I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever either.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by thekendog View Post

The wear ring is uber easy to replace if you don't have IBR. I had to replace mine last year within 2 weeks of getting my Spark. Takes like 20 minutes max. I'm not mechanically inclined whatsoever either.
    So, do you carry a spare wear ring and tools when you are out with the ski?

+1
    by a stainless steel wear ring never has to be replaced
    and keep out of the rocks
    yes a beer is good idea but don't get caught

+1
    I carry a 10mm ring spanner and a couple hex keys for my bar. The first day I rode my spark the bolt came lose in the steering attachment and the bolt worked its way free had no steering after I landed a jump. Was freaky. So I put an extra lock nut on the steering been good ever since..
    Last edited by wannaski; 05-22-2015 at 01:36 AM.

+1
    Hi all,
    Just got my new spark 3up HO, no IBR 2 weeks ago. I have 6 hrs on it and it is running great. I have read through many threads and hear about some problems you may encounter on the water (eg. stuff sucked up in the impeller, broken wear ring etc.). Do you have any recommendations what is a good idea to have with you in terms of tools/parts that you can do/fix yourself while you are out?
    I guess zip ties and duct tape may top the list
    I was working on a tool kit too. Ive ordered 2 extra wear rings. Im also thinking about picking up a small pair of vise grips just in case i have to tow a ski in. Owners manual says to clamp water supply hose before towing. I took a look inside the access panel and located the hose, but its in a tight spot. Have you added anything else to your toolbox?

+1
    A bad wear ring isn't going to stop you in your tracks or really ruin your day (unless you have something stuck in there you can't get out). Just wait till you get home to change it

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GGG View Post
    A bad wear ring isn't going to stop you in your tracks or really ruin your day (unless you have something stuck in there you can't get out). Just wait till you get home to change it
    OK, good to know! Texas has had a crap ton of rain and the lakes are full of wood debris. I was sucking up all kinds of crap yesterday, but both sparks ran like champs. i had a little rough feel for a minute, but i guess it cleared and started running like new again. Pulled the impeller and check the wear ring today. A little scratching but otherwise looked good.

11. +1 by:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information