Post 02 Polaris Freedom Electrical issue

I have just rebuilt the top end and carb on the ski, started right up with the oil injector working and a tank full of 50:1 she is broke in. I got in a hurry last night putting in a new battery and hooked it up backwards....I know I know I heard a pop in the electrical box I immedietaly
    unhooked the battery. All fuses are good and it will turn over fine but will not crank I do have spark to the plugs but it looks weak. Could it just be the voltage regulator???? Thanks in advance for any help

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    To confirm, the starter motor cranks the engine but it does not fire up, correct?

You have weak spark

The LR-505 module may have failed. Open the electrical box and look for burned wires. Also check the circuit breaker.

Then disconnect all LR-505 module wires, tape them aside. Hold down the Bilge button. Bilge pump should run. Keep holding Bilge button down and attempt to start the engine. If it starts and runs then the ignition system is OK.

Edit: There is also an LR-85 module in the Freedom. Leave that connected as per normal.
    Last edited by K447; 05-22-2015 at 10:35 AM. Reason: LR-85 module is unique to the Freedom model

Yes, I will turn over just fine. I checked all the wiring and the all look fine(spade connectors and splices also) All the fuses and the circuit breaker Ohm out good also. When I say "weak" spark when I pull the plugs and ground them to the motor and turn it over it doesn't look as bright or defined as before.

I will try disconnecting the LR when I get home and try that, hope its that and not the CDI! Thanks again

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by CLR77 View Post
    Yes, I will turn over just fine. I checked all the wiring and the all look fine(spade connectors and splices also) All the fuses and the circuit breaker Ohm out good also. When I say "weak" spark when I pull the plugs and ground them to the motor and turn it over it doesn't look as bright or defined as before.

I will try disconnecting the LR when I get home and try that, hope its that and not the CDI! Thanks again
    Tip: Leave the spark plugs in the engine and use spare spark plugs to check for spark. Sometimes the engine will produce spark when there are no plugs installed but the spark will disappear when all the spark plugs are reinstalled. Using a spare spark plug avoids that diagnostic trap.

Well its running!! My Lr module looks to have another piggy backed off the board.....see pic
    I disconnected all wires from the LR except the grounds, then it wouldn't turn over at all so I had to reconnect the black/white wire and it turned over and fired up. I then connected the LR wires back up one by one and it kept running. Shut it off and let it sit for a few then it wouldn't fire at all, I then changed the red/purple wire from the CDI going to the module to the one coming off the circuit breaker it then fired up just fine.

Hooked the hose up to it and ran it for a bit and it seemed as though it was hitting the rev limiter, I then disconnected the "piggy backed" module and it seems to be doing fine. I am going to put it in the water tonight and have another LR module on the way.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CDI.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	359912

+1
    Well its running!! My Lr module looks to have another piggy backed off the board.....see pic
    I disconnected all wires from the LR except the grounds, then it wouldn't turn over at all so I had to reconnect the black/white wire and it turned over and fired up. I then connected the LR wires back up one by one and it kept running. Shut it off and let it sit for a few then it wouldn't fire at all, I then changed the red/purple wire from the CDI going to the module to the one coming off the circuit breaker it then fired up just fine.

Hooked the hose up to it and ran it for a bit and it seemed as though it was hitting the rev limiter, I then disconnected the "piggy backed" module and it seems to be doing fine. I am going to put it in the water tonight and have another LR module on the way.
    Click image for larger version. 

What is the LR code on the still connected LR module inside the electrical box?

The Freedom has a (unique to the Freedom model) LR-85 module that mainly powers the fuel gauge and 'check engine' warning, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

Hooked the hose up to it and ran it for a bit and it seemed as though it was hitting the rev limiter, I then disconnected the "piggy backed" module and it seems to be doing fine. I am going to put it in the water tonight and have another LR module on the way.
    Click image for larger version. 

What is the LR code on the still connected LR module inside the electrical box?

The Freedom has a (unique to the Freedom model) LR-85 module that mainly powers the fuel gauge and 'check engine' warning, as I recall.
    Its a LR 505 in the box and a LR 85 that is tethered. Just back from the lake and it ran fine except a lag lag in throttle response on the take off, had to feather the throttle a bit. Hooked the LR 85 back up and it ran fine also....gauges functional etc. just that take off lag. I turned the low end pilot screw in to 1 turn instead of 1 1/8 no change. No starting/idle issues at all but I do still have half a tank of 40:1 mix in 93 octane us the injector functional. Maybe that's the lag? NGK B7es plugs etc. just walked in responding from my phone....about to pull the plugs and look at them

Thread Information