Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Calling all Seadoo gurus. *FIXED*

Hi guys, could any of you explain exactly what the bell / metal sound is that comes from the jet pump. I know this is normal but I can't find out exactly what it is!?

The reason for this is mine used to make this sound then it stopped then the ski was cavitating really badly and the engibe shaking violently, the jet pump was clear and I ended up taking my chances and revved it up to 4500rpm and then it just smoothed right out as if somthing clicked into place then the ski was running beautifully! I took the ski back in and there was that bell sound once again! I knew at this point all was ok.
    i then put it away to store over the winter.

Now I've done some work yes, but everything is good and engine once again will rev right up nicely but as soon as I put it in water it's the same again! It's shaking violently and cavitating! And again I don't want to rev it too much I know the water incase I damage a engibe mount as the shaking is that bad! And again I DONT Have that bell sound coming from the pump.
    Engine is aligned correctly and the pump spins freely when I take it off.

Any ideas. Here is a video of that metal bell sound that's normal on our seadoos.

ps this is not my ski! This is just showing the bell sound.
    Last edited by Fosta; 05-23-2015 at 11:20 AM.

+1
    The clanking sound is the drive shaft splines and impeller splines rubbing against each other. With the engine OFF, remove the intake grate, and reach up and rotate the impeller back and forth with your hands against the drive shaft. Should sound just like what you are hearing.

3. +1 by:

+1
    however.... if you hear a similar loud noise, while on the water, your pump bearings may be shot.

Thanks for that guys, I just can't understand why I don't have that sound now and why it's cavitating and shaking the engine. Like I said the first time it happened nothing had been touched in the driveline system. I hit the water once and after a stupid a decision I revved it up and it actually fixed it but after winter storage and I now have had the engine out but aligned correctly with new bearings and bellows installed it's doing the same thing again. Hummmmm :/

here is a a video of the engine running now.
    trim.74D61B1A-CF49-44CC-A63C-CFC0C6688025.MOV

+1
    The engine should not be shaking violently! Have you checked all 3 motor mounts and are sure they are not busted?
    Pump bearing failure would be very noisy but should not cause the engine to vibrate.

Make a video of the engine running in the water with the seat off so we can see what you are seeing.

7. +1 by:

Yeah the engine mounts are fine mate. Like I said it happened before then it was fine again. If it was a busted mount it would have kept on shaking. I'll take a video of it in the water for you.

Could it be possible for the impeller to come loose? Just trying to think of things to check before I take it back to the water.

+1
    If the drive shaft splines and or impeller splines are stripped it could act as you describe. Have you spun the impeller in the pump to make sure it spins freely with no noise or binding? WHat are the condition of the impeller and drive shaft splines? Did you ensure the impeller is torqued correctly to the pump?

The spines on the driveshaft where fine when I put it back together the other day but I did not look at the splines in the impeller, also I've never had the impeller out the pump itself so have not needed to torque that up at any point. I did however fill the impeller with white grease which made it hard to push back on as it was crateing a vacme so I took it back off and wiped away most of the grease but I wouldn't of thought this wound cause me any problems would it?
    Last edited by Fosta; 05-22-2015 at 01:52 PM.

Can anyone think of anything else before I take it back to the water tomorrow for a video?

Thanks jamie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information