Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wetsuit

Wetsuit

Need help buying a wetsuit. Can anyone give me some advice on What to buy? Thanks

+1
    I bought a cost effective one from http://www.tommydsports.com/. I am extremely happy with it. What you need as far as style and thickness will vary tremendously based on the water and air temps you plan on riding in. Riding a ski doesn't require me to have the best fit and flexibility that the expensive suits offer... it's spending a bunch of $$$ for nothing in my opinion.
    I got the 2 piece 7mm and when it's butt cold i use both and a rash gaurd, when the water is 60 degrees or more i just wear the shorty top with a full rash guard.
    They aren't clear on what is coming on their site, what i got was a 3.5mm set of bibs, and a 3.5mm shorty to put over it making 7mm. I couldn't be happier, fit was good, and i am a big guy (285lbs).
    Booties, neoprene socks, and gloves are the next challenge... tommy d gloves are flock lined which is OK, but hard to dry out later.

Ok thanks I will check them out. Air temps 60 70 water temps the same. I ride on the Illinois river so I'm just looking for something to get me out a little early and into late September.
    I'm a big guy as well 5'11 260 so not sure what size to get..

+1
    Their sizing chart is very helpful, that's how i sized mine. Just be prepared to measure yourself, it's easy. At those temps, i would use a rash guard (at least long rash pants) and a shorty suit, style 8804 is probably what you are looking for.. $45... can't beat that with a stick.

+1
    I have the Body Glove Pro 3 and have used it for about 6 years.

http://www.overtons.com/Watersports/.../Mens-Wetsuits

+1
    What kind of temps (water/air) are you using it in?

I have a few bc one dosnt cover all conditions. Right now I'm still using an oneill mutant 5/4. Next few weeks I'll switch over to my oneill reactor 3/2.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Once the water hits high 50s or 60 im in a 2.5mm shorty. I also have a 3/2 full suit i have yet to try and a 7mm full suit for cold water.

Quote Originally Posted by infamous View Post
    What kind of temps (water/air) are you using it in?

I have a few bc one dosnt cover all conditions. Right now I'm still using an oneill mutant 5/4. Next few weeks I'll switch over to my oneill reactor 3/2.
    The water temp of the river says 62 but that can go up or down. The air temp around me is average 80 but wanted to get on the water this weekend if at all possiable. The for cast is 75 and cloudy for a high and 55 for a low. Like I said the water temps that I'm finding are saying 62.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    Once the water hits high 50s or 60 im in a 2.5mm shorty. I also have a 3/2 full suit i have yet to try and a 7mm full suit for cold water.
    Is the shorty rather comfortable for actual getting in the water for extended periods of time? I will mainly be in shallow water at the beach if I'm not riding.. thanks

+1
    Give wetsuitwearhouse a call. They helped me a bunch when I bought a wetsuit. I've got a 5/4 Excel full suit and love it. Its super stretchy and will keep you warm! A 5/4 may be a bit much for your water temp, but I bought mine for stand up ski riding which keeps you in the water. I figured if I got hot I would crack the zipper and let some cool water in. Whatever you do get a suit that is super stretch neoprene. Some brands refer to it differently, but its all the same. A 5/4 is pretty think, but it doesn't feel like it is hindering my mobility one bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information