Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

2001 virage txi won't run

Ok so I'm back with more problems. I took the ski to the lake on a trial run and it immediately started over heating. Took the ski back home and found that the inlet tube was blocked so I cleaned it out and took it back to the lake. This time it ran and the cooling system worked correctly. At first it had issues in mid throttle range with sputtering and cutting out. After about an hour riding it cleared out for the most part. About an hour and a half into the test run it abruptly died and would not restart. At that point I tried to restart it would say low battery on the display. I took the seat off out in the lake and it was getting spark and the fuel lines we're pressurizing but it wouldn't even try to run. I have since charged the battery and with a full charged battery it will run about 20 seconds but very rough. If the battery isn't full charge it will start for about 2 seconds and die.
    Any clues as to where to start?
    It's a new battery and I also picked up another new battery but doesn't change anything.

Here is a pic of the battery also a vid of the problem

Here is the attachment could get it to attach to the original post
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	359735  
    Attached Files Attached Files

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I would be checking injector voltage while cranking and watch the meter when it fires. I wouldnt be surprised if the plugged cooling overheated the EMM and damaged something in it.

I checked the voltage on the injectors and getting essentially no voltage. What controls the voltage? Also if the over heat damaged the emm why would it have ran for 1.5 hrs??

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I would be checking the stator next.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Chm09 View Post
    I checked the voltage on the injectors and getting essentially no voltage. What controls the voltage? Also if the over heat damaged the emm why would it have ran for 1.5 hrs??
    I would expect the engine to overheat faster than the EMM in the absence of water cooling.

No injector voltage means check the stator coils for correct ohms and no shorts to ground. If stator and flywheel magnets are good then the EMM becomes the prime suspect.

Also check that all the EMM connectors are fully seated, including the four pin loop back connector.

I ohm out the stator according to the manual and all looks good except pins 8-5 ohm reading is .655 m ohms manual says between 1-3 ohms. Does this mean the stator is bad or should I do more checking before I order one??
    Last edited by Chm09; 05-22-2015 at 08:35 PM.

+1
    I ohm out the stator according to the manual and all looks good except pins 8-5 ohm reading is .655 m ohms manual says between 1-3 ohms. Does this mean the stator is bad or should I do more checking before I order one??
    m ohms - is that mega ohms?

If you have one Ficht stator coil that is wildly different ohms than the others then the stator is probably bad.

I'm not sure if it mega ohms or not. I'm using a fluke meter and all the other pins are reading normal around .5 ohms. Should I be checking volts from the stator? If so what would be normal my Polaris manual doesn't say how many volts.

+1
    I'm not sure if it mega ohms or not. I'm using a fluke meter and all the other pins are reading normal around .5 ohms. Should I be checking volts from the stator? If so what would be normal my Polaris manual doesn't say how many volts.
    Turn off the automatic range, chose the ohms range manually. Set the decimal point so it can show you tents of an ohm.

Recheck all the stator coil ohms. If one coil reads wildly different from the others, that is not good.

The AC output check for the Ficht stator coils has been posted. There are two slightly different coil winding types in the Ficht stator. Three of one type, two of the other. While cranking the engine, each stator coil should produce 7 volts AC or 5 volts AC. The exact voltage depends on the cranking RPM which depends on the battery strength, etc.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information