Do I need a custom trailer for long distance trips?

Hello, I've been wanting to get a jetski for quite a while now and every summer I take a trip from NJ to Maine(1,200 miles round trip primarily on the highway) and i was wondering If a custom trailer would be needed for this trip? Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Any properly sized and well maintained watercraft trailer should have no problem with highway travel, regardless of distance.

Why do you think a 'standard' trailer may not be sufficient for your trip?

3. +1 by:

I feel that the 'standard' trailer's wheels are a bit too small for such a long distance trip, and I wanted to make sure that I could make the trip with the trailer.

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Buy a good quality trailer with the ski and you should have no issue as long as you properly maintain the trailer.

+1
    Make sure to have a spare, jack and bearing buddies.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBagODonuts View Post
    I feel that the 'standard' trailer's wheels are a bit too small for such a long distance trip, and I wanted to make sure that I could make the trip with the trailer.
    All depends on the make and model of trailer. Have you purchased the trailer already?

If you have yet to choose a trailer, there are a number of well regarded trailers on the market. I personally really like the all aluminum Triton Elite models. Triton rejigged their model names recently but look for torsion axle and all stainless steel bolt hardware, those are the best trailers.

The torsion axle rides smoothly and quietly even on bumpy roads and the extra tongue length makes for a stable tow and easy reversing down a launch ramp.

I upgraded my Triton dual PWC Elite to 13 inch wheels and tires, but the 12 inch wheels are entirely reasonable overall.

Note regarding trailer tires. Consider any trailer tire older than five years to be end of life regardless of remaining tread. Trailer tires die from age and exposure. The rubber dries out over time and the tire becomes fragile. Surprisingly, the more frequently and longer distances a trailer tire rolls, the more slowly it ages. Just sitting around is what kills them. There is a DOT date code molded into the sidewall of every ST type trailer tire.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBagODonuts View Post
    Both my trailers have 8" rims so they sit lower & I have towed to Florida & back 1400 miles one way with no issues @ 75mph, properly maintained bearings & inflated tires are important & make sure the ski is firmly tied down in both front & back so it doesn't 'bounce' on the trailer bunks.

Thread Information