Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What's on your bunks?

My trailer has regular carpet and it wore down on the ends of the bunks probably from me riding on the trailer. We'll anyways my hull is getting scratched now. The place I launch is to shallow on low tide to get in the water so I need something that slides easy. Should I replace it with carpet again and stop riding onto the trailer or maybe try the bunk slides? I heard the bunk slides will also scratch the hull.

+1
    Bunk slides are nifty however, you can launch your ski rather fast ... meaning it can slide right off @ most inoperable times. If you do ride up on to trailer with slides, once you stop & are on the trailer ... just can just start to slide right back off LOL. Ask me how I Know. Carpet is cheap and easy to replace maybe once every few years. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkYamMonster View Post
    Bunk slides are nifty however, you can launch your ski rather fast ... meaning it can slide right off @ most inoperable times. If you do ride up on to trailer with slides, once you stop & are on the trailer ... just can just start to slide right back off LOL. Ask me how I Know. Carpet is cheap and easy to replace maybe once every few years. Good Luck
    I don't mind the carpet to much but when it's low tide it gets a little hard to push off and lift on

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have used the hard plastic bunk slides but I found they were abrading the hull at the pressure contact points. Others seem to like them but I prefer to use the MaryKate Liquid Rollers spray on bunk lubricant. It makes the bunk carpet quite slippery yet does not trap grit and I have had no issues with hull scratching.

The Liquid Rollers product must be reapplied every so often. I might use a can or two during the season.

When unloading at the launch it is important to leave the bow winch strap connected until the trailer is completely down the ramp and ready to slide/float the hull off.

When loading the trailer with slick bunks it works best if there is a second person ready to hook up the bow while the rider maintains mild jet thrust to prevent backsliding. Practice is required to avoid over running the bow roller and possibly crunching their fingers.

Some guys (and I have sometimes done this myself) will leave the engine running in forward mode and get off without pulling the lanyard to reach forward and hook up the winch strap. Kinda risky move if you slip/fall or the lanyard pulls out just as you are working the bow eye hook up.

If your bunk boards are at all aged from exposure then consider replacing with fresh wood. I have had bunks crack and fail while loading and just driving down the road. Rotted bunks are no fun and there is real risk of hull damage.

I use a router to round off the bunk board ends and all edges before installing the carpet. Reduces the pressure points and extends the carpet life at the edges and corners. Only use stainless steel or Monel staples to avoid rusting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by keylargoVXR View Post
    I don't mind the carpet to much but when it's low tide it gets a little hard to push off and lift on

I spray the rear of my bunks with a silicone spray... Makes it much easier.

6. +1 by:

+1
    I use silicone spray as well, it makes them slide around real easily. We are constently moving our skis around to different trailers (2 and 4 place) and carts as well. I can move my spark on my own and 2 people can easily move the rxps on and off the trailer in the driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post

I spray my bunks with silicone spray also. I can pull my ski off and put on a stand by myself because of the spray.

+1
    I replaced my old worn bunks with new treated wood, marine/outdoor carpet, some spray glue, stainless steel staples, and coated with silicone spray. Works like a champ and easy to slide on and off with some grip on the carpet. I did use the trailer slides on my old lift and those things slide fast even worse when wet.

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Why does everyone drive skis onto the trailer? We are dealing with a 10 to 12 foot long 4 foot wide hull, not a 30 foot cruiser. I float mine about half way on to the bunks, attach the winch strap and crank it up. No banging ends of bunks, no needing any throttle to hold the ski on the trailer. Its really easy and almost eliminates the chance of mishaps on the ramp.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    Why does everyone drive skis onto the trailer? We are dealing with a 10 to 12 foot long 4 foot wide hull, not a 30 foot cruiser. I float mine about half way on to the bunks, attach the winch strap and crank it up. No banging ends of bunks, no needing any throttle to hold the ski on the trailer. Its really easy and almost eliminates the chance of mishaps on the ramp.

Been doing it for 20 years without an issue... Dont get me wrong there is little throttle needed if any. I spray my bunks for removing the ski more than putting it on.
    Last edited by r33pwrd; 05-22-2015 at 08:57 AM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information