Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Polaris 700 Carb rebuild debacle

Hi team:

Well it all hit the fan tonight...

I ordered a new Polaris crank from a dealer on Ebay. I ordered a replacement case from a member on this site. I personally took two wrecked Polaris cylinders to SBT in Clearwater while on Easter vacation and flew the new parts home on my return flight. I dropped the crank and new seals into the housing and sealed it. I dropped the crank base into the Ski on Sunday. Tonight I opened the pistons with the intent of installing them onto the connecting rod - and drumroll, the wrist pin and the wrist pin bearing are too small for the connecting rod opening... the crank was for a 2 cylinder 800 cc model that takes the larger pistons and wrist pins...

Well I temporarily lost it... On top of this I just ordered 2 700 cylinder heads for $150 last night...So I completely mis matched bottom end from the top end. I emailed the dealer that listed the crank as a 700 series crank and informed him of where I'm at with parts and costs, etc.

So if I send two 800 wrecked cylinders back to SBT along with all of their unused 700 cylinders, pistons and gaskets, etc. and ask for a 800 carbed upper end could I get away with that conversion???

What about the single carb? Will that work with the larger pistons?
    Will the exhaust pipe fit with the larger cylinders?
    What about the water rail?

I looked at the exhaust port and manifold holes and they appear identical. What are other thoughts with the any other surprises?

Thanks for making some lemonade out of the lemons I have now. This is getting EXPENSIVE

Stevo

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    150 bucks for 700 cylinder heads? Those should only be about 30 bucks a piece from a dealer brand new.

So you have an 800 crank and a 700 top end?

Will SBT take the 700 top end as a return?

You may be able to use a pair of 1200 cylinders and pistons with that 800 crank. I would have to find out if the case needs to be machined to use the 1200 cylinders. I don't think it does. Everything else should bolt right up.

Or you could resell that 800 crank and get a 700 crank. Hell, I may be interested in that 800 crank........

I could not find any used 700 that were is better shape than mine. They were $75 a piece.

yup ordered the 700 top as I though I had purchased an 700 crank that was brand new... Turns out it is an 800 crank.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    building this setup right now,with a different 70mm stroke crank,sounds like you have the 777 crank?full circle?stroker1450 likes the 800 fi jugs,i'm gonna run the 1200 017 jugs,and yes the cases have to be modded to run the 1200 jugs,not sure about the fi 800 ones?

+1
    Be careful with ebay. Some sellers are selling used parts for a lot more than they are available new. There is still a lot of stuff available new.

Sooo...how much for the 780? stimpsonjcat's Avatar
    +1
    I doubt SBT cares if it all matches, as long as they get good parts.

The crank was new on Ebay from a marina that was dumping Polaris stock. However, they obviously made an assumption on what it was or shipped the wrong item...

I called SBT today and got Paul who is a pretty good fella to consult with. He could not recall that there was any 800 CC carb'ed unit - his thought was they were all Direct Injection. So I would have to research different jets or looking for a carb that may not exist. He also thought I would need a different cooling rail. I DK - this route is sounding dicey and opening up a can of worms with additional surprises to be uncovered as I would continue to switch to twin 800 CC. I think I'll just pull the crank out and buy one re-manufactured from SBT. It least they try to stand behind the crank.

Any other suggestions while I'm at the crossroads??? What should I demand of the seller of the crank via Ebay???

+1
    I would try to sell that crank on your own. A new OEM 800 crank is a nice piece to have. The Octane stand up used a carbed 800. If you built a carbed 800, all of the 700 virage parts would fit. Intake, exhaust, water rail, etc. The carb may need tuning. The cases may have to be machined or find a set of 800 DI cases and tap them for pulse fittings. Anything can be done if you want to do it.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    He HAD 800 cases to start with, and I sold him a 700 case. I pointed him to the ad on ebay, IIRC that crank was $150ish. Seller must have not realized it was different. A couple folks here had bought parts from the seller, and I had a good experience. Hopefully the seller will comp for the mistake.

OP if you still have the 800 cases, i'd run them, with the 800 crank, and get some 800 cylinders. Run them with carb heads and a carb. Should be a stout machine.

10. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by UnityRacing View Post
    He HAD 800 cases to start with, and I sold him a 700 case. I pointed him to the ad on ebay, IIRC that crank was $150ish. Seller must have not realized it was different. A couple folks here had bought parts from the seller, and I had a good experience. Hopefully the seller will comp for the mistake.

OP if you still have the 800 cases, i'd run them, with the 800 crank, and get some 800 cylinders. Run them with carb heads and a carb. Should be a stout machine.
    I would do this too. You can use 1200 cylinders and heads.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information