Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1999 SLTX - ignition upgrade no spark

To start out, thanks to everyone who has posted about these ski's. I just joined and this is my first post, but I've been reading so much great information, it has helped me out quite a bit.
    I'm hoping that I might be able to get a little more help from some of you.

Here's how I got to where I am with this 1999 SLTX.
    Picked up a free 1999 SLTX and 1999 SLTH from a family friend who had them sitting on a trailer for about a year and didn't have time to touch them. Both non-running with mechanical/electrical repairs needed. SLTX had stator cover removed, but still attached to oil pump. All other engine, electrical, etc. in place for the most part. Pulled engine, disassembled intake, exhaust, cleaned/rebuilt carbs, removed all other items in hull and cleaned/checked. MFD, oil and gas level sensors all checked and work.
    Good news is that the stator and CDI are upgraded and look to be brand new, never run. It appears the project hit a stopping point and was never completed.
    Engine feels and looks excellent. All three cylinders have 120 psi on cheap HF gauge. Still has cross-hatch in cylinders. So I left the engine together.
    Ohmed out everything possible (with the help of GH and manuals), checked static timing, put everything back together, ohmed again and some more.

Full charged battery, 11.6 while cranking. No spark to plugs! MFD blinks constantly.
    Checked all grounds, seemed good. Checked voltage on brown wire to Hall effect and only have 6.7v. Purple to CDI from exciter coil about 6.7 as well. Anyone know what I should get out of the purple wire?
    I know I've left out some things, but this is already pretty long. About to go out and try some more.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Just did some more tests. Purple wire from stator actually 14v. Brown still 6.7. Both while connected and trying to start.
    MFD blinks constant with speeds of 30-50+ mph bouncing around. Cycles through oil, fuel, hot on display.
    About 5 ohms +/- from front electrical box ground bar to engine block.
    I guess the only way to test the CDI is to have someone install it in their running SLTX?

I like pipes. I love boost Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Unplug your MFD from the rear if its acting funky. For some stupid reason they have been known to cause ignition issues sometimes if they have issues.

Thanks for the reply Mr. Matrix. I just tried starting it with MFD disconnected, but no change. Still no spark.
    Due to complete frustration and my head about to explode, I'm going to leave it alone for today and keep searching the Internet for possible solutions.
    I think I'm going to completely remove all of the wiring from the ski and check it very, very carefully. The resistance in the grounds between the terminal box in the front of the ski and the engine block/battery negative post, has me concerned. From what I understand, there should be very close to zero ohms, not 5.
    Unfortunately, I Think things are pointing to the CDI being the problem. I know it's unlikely, but if anyone has a CDI they would loan me to verify that's the issue, I'd take you up on it. Or if someone would be willing to take my CDI and install it on their known running ski to see if it works, I'd do that too. I just don't want to pull the stator.

+1
    When you say the MFD blinks does the whole thing go blank on and off? Are you sure you are getting correct power to the CDI box? The circuit breakers on these skis are known to fail. Does your ski have the CDI red/purple to orange terminal adapter on it? If it does, make sure you are getting 12 volts on the orange terminal while cranking the motor.

If you want your CDI tested, I could do it for you. I will be gone this weekend but I could do it for sure early next week.

I would sure appreciate it. It would be good to know for sure before I just guess and throw money at it.
    I'll try to work through it a little more this week and see if I can diagnose any more. If I can't figure it out, I can send it your way early next week. PM me where I need to send it to.
    Are you already hitting the water up in Wisconsin? It's already pretty warm down here in Texas and the water was nice a few weeks ago when I went out.
    Thanks again for the help.

Can someone verify that the upgraded CDI for a "1999" SLTX is the 447 box? That's what I have. I've seen on a few old postings that the 1999 SLTX uses a different number.

+1
    4010447 is the correct updated 1050 CDI

I tried to send you a PM Mr. Matrix. Let me know if you don't get it.
    Thanks.

Anyone know what happened to Mr. Matrix?
    I sent him a CDI to test for me, but haven't heard from since and isn't taking PMs. Obviously, I hope all is legit. I guess I'll see.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information