Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Just got A pair of 97 wave venture 760s- newbie advice please

    So I bought my neighbors skis, he has had them for 14 years and his kids really enjoyed them. They are cosmetically rough but started right up with a squirt of quick start. One ski runs a little rough which he attributes to bad gas as it has been sitting for a year. The other ran much better. I ordered replacement plugs and fuel filters is there anything else I should do before I try them out this weekend? I know they are old Yada Yada but I got a good deal and I needed something broken in for my kids who would likely only tear up a new shiny ski. I don't mind picking up cosmetic parts here and there to make these look better but need yalls advice on what to check out mechanically.

    also, the instrument cluster on one doesn't light up. Maybe a fuse or maybe a need a new gauge assembly, I saw one on eBay for $75.

    anyway, thanks in advance. I'm here to learn. This is my first pwc although Ive owned many boats and learn quick. Thanks


  2. #2
    butterbean_29512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Posts
    1,224
    +1
    109
    Never use starting fluid on 2 stroke. I have 2 of those exact same model. I'd rebuild both sets of carbs before I tried to run them in the water. If oil injected replace the oil lines with 1/8 tygon, and use oetiker clamps to clamp them down. They are fun, but relatively slow. 46 (true GPS speed) is all they will do, but they ride very well, and are not bad on gas. My wife and I love our Venture 760's. Keep us posted, we will help you all we can. And, for 75 you better jump on that cluster before I get it!

  3. #3
    Thanks for the reply. I got one starting up with no problem at all- no starter fluid nothing. Sounds good too. I noticed some Oil pooled up under the engine. Not sure where it came from or but will check the lines and replace clamps with oetiker. Don't know why Tygon is but I'll look it up. I think this one I run this weekend and see how it goes.

    the other ski won't start, Gas smells like varnish so I am thinking my steps should be drain the tank. Do I need to remove it to drain it? Carb rebuild makes sense. Is this something I should send off or can do yourself? The tuning part is what seems difficult to me....

    Nice to hear someone else has these. I guess that will be plenty fast for a first ski and to pull kids tube or skis. It's all a bit of a project/experiment. Maybe will get the pwc bug.....

    appreciate the help.... Thanks again






    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    Never use starting fluid on 2 stroke. I have 2 of those exact same model. I'd rebuild both sets of carbs before I tried to run them in the water. If oil injected replace the oil lines with 1/8 tygon, and use oetiker clamps to clamp them down. They are fun, but relatively slow. 46 (true GPS speed) is all they will do, but they ride very well, and are not bad on gas. My wife and I love our Venture 760's. Keep us posted, we will help you all we can. And, for 75 you better jump on that cluster before I get it!

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Forumron View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I got one starting up with no problem at all- no starter fluid nothing. Sounds good too. I noticed some Oil pooled up under the engine. Not sure where it came from or but will check the lines and replace clamps with oetiker. Don't know why Tygon is but I'll look it up. I think this one I run this weekend and see how it goes.

    the other ski won't start, Gas smells like varnish so I am thinking my steps should be drain the tank. Do I need to remove it to drain it? Carb rebuild makes sense. Is this something I should send off or can do yourself? The tuning part is what seems difficult to me....

    Nice to hear someone else has these. I guess that will be plenty fast for a first ski and to pull kids tube or skis. It's all a bit of a project/experiment. Maybe will get the pwc bug.....

    appreciate the help.... Thanks again






    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    Never use starting fluid on 2 stroke. I have 2 of those exact same model. I'd rebuild both sets of carbs before I tried to run them in the water. If oil injected replace the oil lines with 1/8 tygon, and use oetiker clamps to clamp them down. They are fun, but relatively slow. 46 (true GPS speed) is all they will do, but they ride very well, and are not bad on gas. My wife and I love our Venture 760's. Keep us posted, we will help you all we can. And, for 75 you better jump on that cluster before I get it!
    No need to pull out the tank. On the top of the tank there is a large rubber cap with fuel lines going thru it. Loosen the hose clamp and pull off the cap grabbing it from the bottom. This gives easy access (~3") to get your siphon tube into it.
    Most starting fluids have added lubrication, so a small shot is often far healthier for a motor than cranking it to death. Good things happen internally when a 2 stroke gets started.
    The carbs are straight forward. There are factory needle settings that can be used and give good results without any tuning.
    2 strokes need fuel for cooling. Do not run a ski that has the possibility of clogged jets. Quick way to put a hole in a piston.

  5. #5
    Here are 2 mikuni rebuild PDF's that will make life a lot easier. You can get the carb kits here on Greenhulk and you also get 10% off as a Forum member.

    Mikuni sbn manual.pdf

    mikuni_carb_rebuild-1.pdf
    Last edited by GpaaH; 05-23-2015 at 10:43 AM. Reason: duplicated attachments

  6. #6
    Thanks GPA, very helpful. I will go ahead and do a rebuild then on the ski that want stay running. I ran other ski this weekend for a few hours with No real issues until it sat overnight as the next morning it wouldn't start. I had to use quick start again, a few quick shots and it finally started again, ran good and got me back to the launch ramp. I am guessing this one might need a rebuild too? Or maybe some fuel additive to help clear out the carb? It never stalled or bogged down once it finally starts....

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    1
    I would get the oil pump block off kit if they don't already have them so you know 100% what your oil to fuel mixture is when u do it at the pump and eliminates the oil pump going bad and messing up the engine, and also a primer kit will help start the engine with fuel from the fuel fuel tank.

  8. #8
    butterbean_29512's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Bennettsville, SC
    Posts
    1,224
    +1
    109
    Just my opinion, but premix sucks. You end up using more oil with premix, and you have to tote oil with you. I have never seen an oil pump fail.....only owners who fail to properly maintain the level of the oil tank or the oil lines to the carbs. The pumps are for the most part bulletproof. After all, they are made by mikuni. I do recommend using 1/8" tygon for the oil lines, and a quality blue or clear 1/4 inch fuel line for the suction line from the tank to the pump so you can check for air bubbles. Cinch everything down with oetiker clamps, prime properly, or run on premix to ensure lines are primed, and enjoy not having to premix. Actually, I usually comment to the premix guys at the marina that if they maintained their machine properly they would have no need to premix. It usually at least makes them think!

  9. +1 by:


  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    Just my opinion, but premix sucks. You end up using more oil with premix, and you have to tote oil with you. I have never seen an oil pump fail.....only owners who fail to properly maintain the level of the oil tank or the oil lines to the carbs. The pumps are for the most part bulletproof. After all, they are made by mikuni. I do recommend using 1/8" tygon for the oil lines, and a quality blue or clear 1/4 inch fuel line for the suction line from the tank to the pump so you can check for air bubbles. Cinch everything down with oetiker clamps, prime properly, or run on premix to ensure lines are primed, and enjoy not having to premix. Actually, I usually comment to the premix guys at the marina that if they maintained their machine properly they would have no need to premix. It usually at least makes them think!
    +1. I'm too old for the nonsense of premixing,especially if it isn't modified or worth much money. Most people don't premix properly anyways.

    It must be mixed in a separate container that is shaken well.

    Most people fill it up, dump in some oil, shake their Fanny a little, then it's full throttle.

    The early Ventures didn't have variable ratio injection, so there's really no oil saving for injection...

    But you can fill up anytime, anywhere...including when others are involved with fueling.

  11. #10

    Thanks

    thanks to all of y'all. Ive upgraded the oil lines and everything is nice and tight. Ski ran good with the rebuild carbs. I am going to do the other ski next too.

    I did develop a water leak and propulsion issue at the intermediate bearing so I have more work to do. I started a new thread of that, if any of you can give me some insight into that job, please have a look. Thanks again.

    Quote Originally Posted by GpaaH View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by butterbean_29512 View Post
    Just my opinion, but premix sucks. You end up using more oil with premix, and you have to tote oil with you. I have never seen an oil pump fail.....only owners who fail to properly maintain the level of the oil tank or the oil lines to the carbs. The pumps are for the most part bulletproof. After all, they are made by mikuni. I do recommend using 1/8" tygon for the oil lines, and a quality blue or clear 1/4 inch fuel line for the suction line from the tank to the pump so you can check for air bubbles. Cinch everything down with oetiker clamps, prime properly, or run on premix to ensure lines are primed, and enjoy not having to premix. Actually, I usually comment to the premix guys at the marina that if they maintained their machine properly they would have no need to premix. It usually at least makes them think!
    +1. I'm too old for the nonsense of premixing,especially if it isn't modified or worth much money. Most people don't premix properly anyways.

    It must be mixed in a separate container that is shaken well.

    Most people fill it up, dump in some oil, shake their Fanny a little, then it's full throttle.

    The early Ventures didn't have variable ratio injection, so there's really no oil saving for injection...

    But you can fill up anytime, anywhere...including when others are involved with fueling.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 97 wave venture 760 no spark on either cylinder
    By butterbean_29512 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-14-2015, 02:17 PM
  2. Just got a pair of seadoo sp's
    By wookieeking in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-19-2014, 02:51 PM
  3. 97 Wave Venture 760 Display Issues
    By Newby-n-TN in forum Yamaha Old School Skis
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 06:00 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-10-2009, 09:34 AM
  5. WTB 97 Wave Venture 760 gauge cluster
    By pthedude in forum Yamaha Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-25-2009, 05:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •