Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Trailer tire question

I had a blowout and had to replace my tire which is a 4.80-12 didnt know till after I got the new tire and had it mounted that it was a different load rating. I asked the guy if he put 60 in it as he handed me the wheel and he said no 90 and showed me the amount on the tire. so now I have one tire that says 60 and one that says 90 what the hell should I do?

+1
    Purchase another 90psi tire (make note of date codes) and use 60psi tire for spare

+1
    As with the tires on your car, the pressure that's listed on the sidewall is a maximum but you don't need to use them at that pressure. You will rarely load the tire at the maximum rating. As long as the load rating of your replacement tire is high enough to handle the load you're carrying, run it at the same pressure as the tire with the higher load rating. I run mine at about 45 psi with two PWC loaded on the trailer, or about 1,600 pounds.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by pro1200 View Post
    As with the tires on your car, the pressure that's listed on the sidewall is a maximum but you don't need to use them at that pressure. You will rarely load the tire at the maximum rating. As long as the load rating of your replacement tire is high enough to handle the load you're carrying, run it at the same pressure as the tire with the higher load rating. I run mine at about 45 psi with two PWC loaded on the trailer, or about 1,600 pounds.

Thanks alot thats what Im doing it sucks that everywhere you read says to inflate them to maximum though. I havnt had a flat since the 90s and I have cars trucks motorcycles and boats. Now I get this seadoo and have had it out maybe 20 times and get a flat.

Chalk line.

Just be smart about it. Watch temps and obvious under inflation.

+1
    I would check the date code on your other 60psi tire, if the one tire blew odds are the other is not far away. Trailer tires get too old way usually before the tread wears out. uv rays and moisture will deteriorate them and I personally won't run tires over 5 years from the date code stamp...won't trailer them far anyway

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by xxx2 View Post
    I would check the date code on your other 60psi tire, if the one tire blew odds are the other is not far away. Trailer tires get too old way usually before the tread wears out. uv rays and moisture will deteriorate them and I personally won't run tires over 5 years from the date code stamp...won't trailer them far anyway

Glad you told me that the tires have probably been on there since they bought it new because they lived on a lake and had their own boat dock and never hauled it anywhere. The trailer was never even registered the prick at the shop who sold it for them failed to mention that.

I'd be making sure they are 'light truck' rated, especially if you dont carrya spare. not sure if you can get LT tyres in 12"
    If you do any long distances or highway speeds I'd be getting rid on the 12's and replacing them with 14's,

Quote Originally Posted by STX11 View Post
    I'd be making sure they are 'light truck' rated, especially if you dont carrya spare. not sure if you can get LT tyres in 12"
    If you do any long distances or highway speeds I'd be getting rid on the 12's and replacing them with 14's,

Been going back and forth from NY-FL many years now and never had an issue. i run 4.8x12 ....I avg 75-80mph the whole way. Tires and hubs never got above warm to the touch!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by STX11 View Post

I carry a spare now I had to lug the new rim and tire from walmart a half mile back to where the trailer was broke down. funny thing is I was meaning to go buy a spare and just kept putting it off. That will never happen again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information