Convert 02 787 GTX RFI to a Carbed 787???

I am sure this answer is somewhere if I could get the search words correct. I am interested in converting a RFI ski to carbed ski?

I have a 98 GSX and would like to swap the 02 RFI(POS) to the GSX engine and electronics? Can this be done fairly easily? I am guessing that I need to mount a choke, but what else do I have to mess with in the fuel system? Fuel switch, fuel pump, other fuel lines? I do realize that I need to bring carbs and get the fuel to carbs, I will need to swap Mpem's and hope I have enough rope??? Is ther any other major blocks?

Thanks

+1
    98 GSX was a limited 951 ski-- white and grey motors available. Converting it to a 787 RFI is not easy or even the other way around. Sell the 2 skis and buy what you want in running form.

3. +1 by:

Jim, thanks for the response, I'm sorry it must be a 97 GSX, it is for sure a 787 carb. I have cylliders out currently. Sorry to confuse, need to drag out registrations.

+1
    gas tank, fuel module, all fuel lines, all wiring, all electronics (except for the info center), intake manifold, cylinders can be welded up or plugged, exhaust differences (may or may not work, but they are very different). The swap can be done, but it is an "advanced" level and does not make $$ sense.

6. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    gas tank, fuel module, all fuel lines, all wiring, all electronics (except for the info center), intake manifold, cylinders can be welded up or plugged, exhaust differences (may or may not work, but they are very different). The swap can be done, but it is an "advanced" level and does not make $$ sense.
    Jim thanks again. Not as easy as I had hoped, I was thinking plot the 97 787 carb engine in, put choke cable, switch mpems and take 7897 rfi engine and tie rope to it and use it as a boat anchor. Thanks for time, I will just fix the 787 rfi engine again and next time it blows up, make it a fish haven.

+1
    RFI engines are fine if you keep the exhaust from leaking, keep the fuel clean, and after any major repair reset the idle/tps with candoo or buds. This tps setting determines the fuel delivery throughout the throttle range... if it's off the engine runs lean... Closed loop FI. My experience with RFI engines is, if it doesn't start easily with HANDS OFF THE THROTTLE, something is wrong and it will probably blow up soon unless it's fixed. If you take it out and it doesn't turn 6700 rpm minimum, something is wrong and it's going to blow up soon if you don't stop riding and fix it.

Adam thanks for the info, I wish I had that early, like one engine ago, It never turned 6700 rpm, the max speed by its speedometer was about 46-48 and their were times when it did not want to start without some throttle. probably why 60 hours and a failure. I also had a exhaust bracket break allowing the exhaust manifold to tuning pipe??? to slip causing a water leak externall y and also I suspected I was getting water to engine. Fixed it but It blew up like a couple hours later. The failure looked like it was a piston pin failure, allowing ring to rotate and shearing off the ring in exhaust port? I did have the previously blown engine, when it was initially installed adjusted at dealer, because I was getting a error code that basically said set TPS.

In addition I had several bouts with the machine not wanting to start period, you would be going and it would just quit. I used a product called KM100 in gas and it seemed to work, thought was water in gas.

My goal was to turn the 02 gtx rfi hull into a carburated machine, I have the gsx with a 787 carb engine which I am willing to sacrifice to bastardize the 02 gtx rfi. I thought it would be much easier 787 rfi --> 787 carb.

Well any way I may carry the 02 to dealer and have him set sensor with diagnostics. I love my dealer, but I don't like paying shop prices when I can do my own work, but I dont have the BUDS or candoo.

Thread Information