Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    +1

Possible SLX 1200 engine seize

Bought a 2000 SLX 1200 last fall with an unknown number of hours on the engine. Had a bad CDI so I located one on eBay (379) and installed it. Ran fine last fall and earlier this spring. Put probably a total of an hour on it since swapping the CDI box. I did NOT adjust the flywheel timing or anything after installing the CDI box. Filled it with fresh gas and put in stable right before winter.

Took it out this past week and it died on the lake after 3 mins of running wide open. Wouldn't start back up at all. Oil was full so I know it didn't run out. When I go to start it, the motor isn't even turning over at all. You can hear something clicking, but not the normal sound of the motor tuning. Took off the jet pump to verify that wasn't causing the motor lock. Thinking either a piston melted, somehow the crankshaft is seized, or maybe the starter bendix. What's the easiest way to try and turn the motor over by hand? Would installing a CDI box and not adjusting the flywheel timing cause anything to melt down, or would that just mean your top speed isn't as high as it could be if it's been adjusted?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    If you swapped a cdi and didnt check timing yes you could melt a piston if your timing is too advanced. If you have pulled the jet pump and the engine still wont turn by hand then i would be pulling the cylinder heads and having a look.

+1
    Could very well be the Crank seize or a piston stuck. how do you know it had oil? just because the oil tank is full does NOT mean that oil was flowing into the carbs and into the engine. you could have had an oil line fall off. or maybe it was stuck. this is a prime example why someone should check everything on a ski before taking it out, especially with unknowns, I can also say that holding it wide open for 3 minutes on unknown engine, unknown oil system, unknown timing. I recently learned the hard way, you CAN NOT TELL why an engine blew up. without knowing the timing and things, sounds like its time to pull the heads and see whats going on in there. there are other possibility though. Bendix could have jammed in the flywheel. causing it to lock up the engine. ya cant really diagnose it until you get her open and see if you can see any damage internally, might even need to pull the engine.

+1
    Mind you I ran it just fine last year, and all the hoses and lines were inspected a couple days before I took it out this year.

Sounds like taking the flywheel cover off is the first step, and seeing if anything is jammed in there. After that I will start pulling the cylinder heads.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost_recon88 View Post
    Mind you I ran it just fine last year, and all the hoses and lines were inspected a couple days before I took it out this year.

Sounds like taking the flywheel cover off is the first step, and seeing if anything is jammed in there. After that I will start pulling the cylinder heads.
    Being an SLX I would HIGHLY suggest you remove the heads first. MUCH easier then trying to pull a flywheel cover in an SLX..

+1
    I've got a 2nd SLX I'll need to adjust the flywheel on since it got a new CDI box, so this one will be good practice for that as well.

Should we be able to turn it over by hand without any tools (obviously without any spark plugs in)?

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Yes it should spin by hand somewhat easily with no plugs. I would just pull the heads and have a look.

+1
    Pull spark plugs out first and look down the holes with a flashlight. That's the easiest thing to do right off the bat. And yes, when swapping out a CDI box, it's very important to verify timing. Even if you swap the CDI box for the same exact box that was in there. The manual even states that in bold black print.

10. +1 by:

+1
    I'll work on that tonight. Will need to order a top end gasket kit but I'll hold off on that until I see what the pistons look like.

In case I get lucky and only need a top end kit, it looks like SBT makes one for $350. http://www.shopsbt.com/pol-2000-slx/...x-1999-02.html

Is that the best OEM replacement I can get?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information