Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

95 kawasaki ZXI 900 not running right

Hey everyone, I am new to the PWC world, I am adding it to my boating world. I recently got a pair of 95 Kawasaki jet skis, one is a STS 750 that runs great and other than the trim problems it is great, I also got a ZXI 900 that looks amazing for the year but I feel I have some problems with it and could use some help. the 900 would start out of the water and sounded good but would not stay idling so I took off the carbs and cleaned them. they didn't look to bad, there were some clogged jets and one had the filter completely clogged, put them back on and took it to the water. it started right up and idled great, I went to give it some gas and it wanted to die so I feathered it a little and off it went like a bat out of hell, way faster than the 750. I let off and came back to idle and then the same thing again taking off. after a little time it just would not get going from idle, it just wanted to die with gas, then it died, had to get towed. as I was being towed I kept trying to start it so I choked it and it started but didn't keep running, I assume because it was choked. I have dealt with carbs in the past and this seams like it is a carb problem. when I cleaned them I could not tell if the diaphragms were good. also it is blowing oil out of the exhaust, not sure if carbs could cause that. thank you so much for your help.

Welcome to the forum, definitely sounds like a carby problem.
    Hoping you haven't created a engine problem by towing it.
    Water coming the cooling line from the jet unit can flood the exhaust and make it into the engine via the exhaust port.
    So, plugs out, wind it over and see it it spits any water out at you. This would be a good time to do a compression test, a process of elimination, then back to those carbies if all else is well.

+1
    Welcome aboard, JBM14!

Many PWCs that are offered for sale have not been used in a long time. If you found crud in the carbs, there's probably junk all through the fuel system. Time to clean it out from the tank, to the pickup in the tank, to the filter, and overhaul the carbs using a kit.

Probably time to replace those oil lines, too!

cool guys thanks, I have been around two cycle four wheelers in the past and it does sound like carb problems but just wanted to see from people that know PWC. I will try pulling the plugs and see, the guy I bought it from works on them and said he did a compression test but I will check that also. is it easy to rebuild or should I have it done some other posts say that the kits don't come with everything and resetting the hi and low pins.

so I just checked the compression it was 97, 95, 97. does that sound right, rpm's were also high around 8000, looked at the impeller and it is a bit chewed up on the flat edge, can I just clean that up or do I have to get a new one?

also no spitting of water when I turned it over

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you should keep in mind that if a ski won't start, repeated cranking can put you in the way of a crankcase full of gas fumes, which often have a bad result.

From what I've seen over the last few years, repeated attempts to start an engine ( when the engine should clearly start in under a minute of total cranking time) can lead to a bilge fume explosion.

there have been a few well publicized cases of skis blowing their seats off after repeated starting attempts.

test it strapped to a trailer at the ramp in the early morning. If you can't get at least a minute of full throttle running out of it, it's not right. Pull the plugs after the test, if any are white, still not fixed right.

engine compression is pretty marginal, the engine will need big work soon.

after it died and didn't start I gave it plenty of time before trying again. I definitely think it is the carbs, when I cleaned them the diaphragms had no spring to them and I could not tell if they were ripped, it just acted like it was starving for gas. only place I can find a rebuild kit is on ebay, the local motorsports place wants $50 for just one diaphragm.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if they were as hard as that old wallet bound condom, they need to be replaced. Ethanol is a real problem for PWC carbs. This is just one of the things to deal with.

$50 is a bit steep, unless it's Kawasaki oem. which happens to sell for 57.57

I can see somebody wanting to sell those below retail..<not>

those are the orginal carbs?..not a set of cv's that found their way onto the ski?

cv rebuild parts are killer expensive.

so guys i thought i would give an update, i ended up taking the carbs apart again, this time all the way.&nbsp; the points were all clogged up, cleaned everything so you could eat off of it and blew out all the fuel lines.&nbsp; i took it out today with my son and wife so i had one to tow me back if need be, but i didnt need it.&nbsp; it took off like a bat out of hell and ran GREAT, it was so much fun and now my son tells me it belongs to him, thank you all for your help.&nbsp; one other question i have is the rpm's are tacked at 8,000, the impeller is a little dinged up so would this cause it and is it really bad for the machine, thank you all so much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information