+1

1st time engine swap in a ski

Well, I have changed multiple engines in cars/trucks/lawn mowers etc... This is my first experience changing one in a jet ski. Wow is it tight in there. I don't have tiny hands, and it was rough. I changed out the motor in my 02 Virage Txi. It took me 4 hours. I pulled the motor, had to take the flywheel, mag, and throttle body from the old motor and put it on the new one. Once I had the motor out, I cleaned the engine area. It was dirty!!! It still isn't spotless, but much better. I was kind of nervous, as it was running bad when cold ever since I have owned it. I pulled the EMM a few weeks ago, and replaced C89. The symptoms I had before the engine blew, was the classic start die, start die, repeat for 10-20 mins until it warms up. I didn't know what to expect, as I changed the cap, after the engine blew. After I had the new motor in and hooked up, I cranked it for a bout 5 secs, a couple times with out the lanyard in to lube up the cylinders ( did squirt a very small amount of oil in the cylinders also). I checked compression, and had 120 - 125 - 125, pto to mag. I put the lanyard in, and it fired up after about 2 seconds of cranking!!! It stayed running!!! I think I'm going to mix my gas the first tank or two, just to be on the safe side!!! As soon as the rain stops, I plan omn doing a trailer test run to make sure it's working fine.

Two skis working, 1 to go. Tomorrow I start on the MSX 140. Wish me luck!

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    On a Ficht fuel injected engine there is no gain to be had from mixing oil into the gasoline. The gasoline is injected directly into the combustion chamber and immediately ignited, it does not pass through the crankcase. Any oil you add to the gasoline simply displaces some fuel.

When an engine is reinstalled it is recommended to check the alignment of the engine to the jet pump. The jet pump determines the correct position and angle of the engine. Thin shims are added or removed from the four engine mounts to adjust engine position and angle.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    On a Ficht fuel injected engine there is no gain to be had from mixing oil into the gasoline. The gasoline is injected directly into the combustion chamber and immediately ignited, it does not pass through the crankcase. Any oil you add to the gasoline simply displaces some fuel.

When an engine is reinstalled it is recommended to check the alignment of the engine to the jet pump. The jet pump determines the correct position and angle of the engine. Thin shims are added or removed from the four engine mounts to adjust engine position and angle.

Thanks for the advise. I won't waste my time mixing the gas. I'll search on here tomorrow on how to check alignment for the engine/jet pump.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    You will need a special alignment tool. Some folks here have them and loan them out for the cost of shipping (sorry, I don't have one).

Thread Information