Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    +1

Kawasaki Ultra fuel economy debate

I cant find the thread but a month or two back some one was telling me the mpg numbers I was getting on my Kawaski Ultra were not realistic and that several of their friends had them and didnt get anywhere near these numbers. Well mine must be special as this is the second time I have done this trip this time I had my gps with me and two other boats with gps and all 3 tracked the distance traveled. The trip is from Charleston SC to Lake Marion through the Pinopolis Lock. Total distance on this trip was 140 miles. We went a little further than normal this time we usually do 124 miles last year I made the enitre round trip no refuel. This year when we got to our destination we had traveled 70 miles and knew that was probably outside of my range for a return with no refuel so I gased up. I filled the tank before leaving all the way to the top I could see gas in the line and did the same on the marina and it only took 10.3 gallons. Average cruising speed was 35 and I only did a few WOT runs runs. Below is a video from the trip but I got 6.79 mpg on the trip up. I did not refuel yet since the return but currious to see those numbers it should be higher as I was going with the current the trip up was against it.

+1
    OMGEE! You are running sooper lean. Your shit is about to blow. Better FaTten it up or it's gonna go BOOOOOOOM!

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    Is this the NA Ultra?

+1
    yes the N/A version.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Broncosguru7 View Post
    I cant find the thread but a month or two back some one was telling me the mpg numbers I was getting on my Kawaski Ultra were not realistic and that several of their friends had them and didnt get anywhere near these numbers. Well mine must be special as this is the second time I have done this trip this time I had my gps with me and two other boats with gps and all 3 tracked the distance traveled. The trip is from Charleston SC to Lake Marion through the Pinopolis Lock. Total distance on this trip was 140 miles. We went a little further than normal this time we usually do 124 miles last year I made the enitre round trip no refuel. This year when we got to our destination we had traveled 70 miles and knew that was probably outside of my range for a return with no refuel so I gased up. I filled the tank before leaving all the way to the top I could see gas in the line and did the same on the marina and it only took 10.3 gallons. Average cruising speed was 35 and I only did a few WOT runs runs. Below is a video from the trip but I got 6.79 mpg on the trip up. I did not refuel yet since the return but currious to see those numbers it should be higher as I was going with the current the trip up was against it.

From what i can see, to hit your excellent number, the trick is to ride 35 mph or lower, we are cruising 40-45 mph and never came close to that.

Waz will chime in any moment now to belittle you

+1
    no waz wouldnt as we actually know the guy isnt telling porkies like some others and he chooses to listen to advise given from those that actually know something of these skis. now go and make some trouble back in your kindy class!!

Take the time to smile sirbreaksalot's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pyroseth View Post
    No that only happens to people who talk crap ^^^^^

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by pyroseth View Post
    If you have neither any constructive input or decency to at least bow-out when you don't I hope someone (a mod) will put you in the box where you belong.
    It is folks like you that drive folks like me from bothering to post on GH anymore.

Broncosguru7 those are great numbers and 35 mph (by dream-o-meter - MFD) is the spot where I have found the best efficiency on these ski's also. Same with the 12/15F and the SC Ultra's too.
    Me and a friend rode from Dana Point to Catalina and back with some WOT runs, going 35-40 and it just began to beep when we got back to DP, about 70+ miles on the ocean, fairly calm conditions but not exactly flat. Had about 35-40 miles left. On a lake or river I imagine it would only be a lot better.
    You have a sipper. It is also possible you have one of "Those" ski's. By that I mean some come perfectly set-up: Ride plate and grate and shoe aligned perfectly, excellent tolerance on the pump/impeller, etc. Popped out of the mold and balanced just right.
    A friend and myself both bought brand new 12F's back in '07 and his was always like .5 faster than mine. It took trueing my pump/hull/shoe/grate/ride plate to get mine where his was. It was something as my ski was built at roughly the same time as his.
    Anyways good luck and enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information