Water in engine conpartment

Just bought a used 2011 rxt 260 and took it for the first ride today. After riding it for about 2 hours and bringing it home, i noticed that there was about 4in of water in my engine compartment. Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with the ski. Let me know. Thanks

+1
    4in is not normal. It can be many things. A loose hose or bad carbon seal, for example.

Quote Originally Posted by ProZadoX View Post
    4in is not normal. It can be many things. A loose hose or bad carbon seal, for example.
    Ok, thnaks for the feed back. I may have been mistaken about the amount of water as i just estimated. Is it normal for a little water to be in the engine compartment. Also, do you know of any tests that i can perform to determine what the problem is?

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    tracking leaks isn't easy..water can find it's way in there during typical riding, but the bilge system should keep the water minimal.

how many hours on the clock?..I recall seal problems on those skis due to engine misalignment ( somebody will jump in If I am mistaken)

you want to make 100% sure you don't have a problem. things go south pretty fast if you are taking on water far from your ramp.

electric bilge pumps are cheap insurance and can restore some peace of mind after an event. Prevention is the better route.

Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    tracking leaks isn't easy..water can find it's way in there during typical riding, but the bilge system should keep the water minimal.

how many hours on the clock?..I recall seal problems on those skis due to engine misalignment ( somebody will jump in If I am mistaken)

you want to make 100% sure you don't have a problem. things go south pretty fast if you are taking on water far from your ramp.

electric bilge pumps are cheap insurance and can restore some peace of mind after an event. Prevention is the better route.
    Theres 48 hours on the ski. And to clarify, is there a stock bilge pump on my ski? Or will I have to buy one

+1
    You may not be able to see from the top when the seat is off, but try with a camera to see if you have a lot of blackish dust at the bottom of your hull area where the shaft comes out of the motor to go in the hull towards the back. If its covered, to the dealer and fast! It could possibly be the source of your water intrusion. The 2 panels at the back on the deck are notorious for letting water in of they are poorly fitted/adjusted. It could be as simple as that.

+1
    I think you're on the wrong section....

But have fun reading !!

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=218638

Banned User
    +1
    Sell it!! And run for the hills!! lol
    Its normal to have a little water as in a quart or so but 4 inches deep all around is an issue.

+1
    EVN81 is right on the money. Most likely previous owner never had the engine & pump re-aligned. EVERYONE, that has checked the factory alignment has found them off alignment. You probably have a LOT of black carbon ring dust right below the carbon ring, indicating improper alignment, and WILL definitely cause water to leak inside the hull.

The stock "bailer system" only removes water while it is moving by sucking the water out. It is worthless when just sitting, which is why a bilge pump is a smart addition.

The rear lids do leak some, but not enough to cause your symptoms- unless you are in the ocean.

And yes you are in the wrong section.

Thread Information