Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HELP NEEDED - i have a 2002 gtx di 2 stroke and i have always put std mineral oil

for some dumb reason I bought xps synthetic blend vs xps mineral - I was only down 1 quart and topped off with the syn blend xps
    what problems will this cause ? do I need to drain oil tank - kind of expensive mistake at the price of sea doo oil

any help would be really appreciated

and I have not run the ski yet

the funny thing is the oil I use for my 2003 gtx 4tec is syn blend so I guess that is where I got that dumb idea

+1
    DI's have ALWAYS required synthetic oil--I wouldnt run anything else...

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    if its synthetic bend two stroke oil, just don't run the ski flat out for a while...synthetic blend 4 stroke?..well that shizz gotta come out..and everything else flushed.

90 % of the oil is the std xps 2 stoke oil sold in the white plastic container the new stuff I added to top off (10 % ) was in the black container and was xps 2 stoke synthetic blend

+1
    run as normal..

synthetic is suggested by seadoo for this model btw

blend is step up from mineral.

Should be ok unless you are extreme or in the habit of pulling tubes or wakebaords.

with the rebuild cost of a di, synthetic is cheap insurance

i was told that I can not change oils without a mechanic to do a full drain of all areas if I wanted to go to synthetic
    when I bought this they used mineral and I assumed that was correct - book says and so does the ski to use synthetic
    this is a 2 stroke - how does syn really help it
    and no I run it very simple - actually my 14 yr old daughter drives it most of the time and never more than 35 mph so I suspect it has little stress that I can see as I am along side all the time

+1
    in regards to changing oil, the mechanic was only partially correct.

When you change BRANDS of oil, it's suggested to drain the system in case there is a reaction that causes clumping.

Most folks just wait for the tank to run low, cross their fingers and hope for the best

going from seadoo mineral to synthetic blend wouldn't require that.

I trust it's legal in your venue for a 14 year old, most are 16 with a boaters course, but I doubt she'll put much stress on it.

In any event, the cost of a 950 rebuild means to me that spending an extra $20 a gallon on oil isn't a deal breaker.

say you pay an extra 200 over the course to get an extra 50 hours out of the engine//do the math..it pays...

my wife says:

a bargain is only a bargain until you close your wallet, then it starts costing 1% a minute extra.

that goes for meals out and motor oils.

want middle ground?, stick with semi synthetic for your application

thanks Pete - your wife is correct and of course 14 is legal - I would not have it any other way - she had to pass a pwc boaters course - florida -
    let me understand what you are suggesting - today I run 2 stroke min oil - that was what previous owner had in and told me to use so I did
    what would you be running in the 2002 gtx DI and why

The main reason for synthetic is the rave valves. Synthetic burns cleaner and won't gum up the raves like dino oil. Plan on cleaning your raves soon if you have been running mineral oil.

what is involved in cleaning the rave valves - the ski has 85 orig hours on it also what are the indications that valves need cleaning
    what octane do you suggest I run

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information