+1

battery tender ..

Anyone here keep their battery on a tender while still installed in their ski? like in between rides? The only time I tender my battery is during the winter.
    Normally running on the hose for 5 minutes is enough to keep the battery charged I would Imagine.. Buddy of mine said something about fumes, sparks, and possibly damaging the onboard electronics.

Got me thinking..

+1
    I ran mine at least once a month for about six months with no problems.

almost all modern battery chargers will be voltage limited, so wont damage any electronics or your battery
    In the old days, a battery chargers output (voltage) would increase as the load (current) went down. This would mean if you left the battery charger on for too long it could over charge your battery and produce a voltage over 15 volts. Most modern electronics is quite flexible with supply voltages.

So in summary, there's no problem hooking up a battery charger whilst battery is still in the ski providing the battery charger is of a reasonable quality and not 10+ years old
    As for fumes etc, one would assume you would have the seat off, or at least proped up to run the cables to the battery, allowing more than sufficient ventilation.
    Sparks can only happen if the battery charger is connected incorrectly. Also connect battery clamps BEFORE turning the batter charger on, and turn battery charger off BEFORE removing clamps, ensuring there is never any current flowing whilst removing or connecting clamps.
    I wouldn't recommend starting the ski whilst the battery charger is connected. Damage to your battery charger is possible due to the sudden current demands of the starter motor.

If you are riding every month or so and you NEED to charge your battery between rides, I suggest you have a bad battery or something thats draining the power that requires investigation .

+1
    All,
    Thanks for the information... I bought a new Deka AGM battery. The person at the shop said it's ok to keep the battery on the tender while it's installed in the ski. I thought that this was not a good idea but So far everyone I spoke to said it's ok- including you two. It's a proper "Battery Tender " brand charger... it has served me well as the OEM battery lasted me 8 years before I was careless and the battery fell off the rear of the ski and cracked the case... probably best I replace it anyhow.

When the ski is not in use the seats are always removed for ventilation- as when filling up at the pump. I remember at 10 years ago there was a explosion at the marina as there was a guy filling up his boat without the vent open or turned on or whatever.

from time to time I also crack the gas cap to expel any fumes and pressure... it seems to build up over time.. which also makes me nervous..

Thank you guys... have a good season

+1
    I keep a trickle charger and timer on my batteries at all times. However, I do NOT put the charger inside the engine compartment because of the possibility of igniting fumes. Rather, I have a plug fastened to the battery and cord that I plug into it when I hook up the charger. The charger and timer are left outside the 'Ski.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I keep a trickle charger and timer on my batteries at all times. However, I do NOT put the charger inside the engine compartment because of the possibility of igniting fumes. Rather, I have a plug fastened to the battery and cord that I plug into it when I hook up the charger. The charger and timer are left outside the 'Ski.

Steve,
    GOOD POINT!
    I Know that cords - both power and charging are pretty long. I think that is why... the Fumes I don't want to know from anything that might even suggest a spark.. I also have the Harness that is connected to the battery.

Thank you for the reminder.

A float charger can be used at will. I have a 2amp Shumacher charger connected to my Ducati 24/7 in my garage.

Since the Guest charger is sealed in epoxy, I even have one permanently mounted under the hood of my truck to use as "shore" power. Don't do that with open chargers like the Shuey and Tender's. Weak batteries cause more damage than anything a modern charger will do.

Generators can have multiple chargers for redundancy.

Checking battery fluid level will eliminate worries about H fumes. But not gasoline.

Thread Information