2002 virage I low injector voltage please help

ok this is my first post and hoping I can get some help with this ok so here's what I have a 02 virage I 780 with 68 hrs so I bought this last spring literally in a bucket this is my first jetski but I have rebuilt many snowmobiles so I have some experience but anyways I bought this with a bad stator the previous owner tore it apart and I put it back together with a new stator and new flywheel after I got it all back together I tried to start it and it wouldn't start so I checked it for spark and it did I checked fuel and it did to the Schrader valve so I tried to start it again while giving it half throttle well that ended poorly because it back fired and the bendix sheared off a tooth off the flywheel of course I didn't know this so I tried to start it again and the tooth got pulled in with the stator and took the stator and flywheel out again awesome I thought . So anyway this was last year I stored it for the winter due to frustration but now I have it back out I changed the stator and the flywheel again I put in a new battery installed new spark plugs and put in fresh gas so I tried it today and it has spark and cranks and will start and run on starting fluid until it burns it up then it dies so Im assuming it's not getting gas so I checked fuel again it has fuel to shader valve but plugs stay dry I know the red/wHite wire is supposed to have 20 volts while cranking I only have 8 to 10 volts while cranking I'm guessing that's the problem but now I don't know where to go from there any help would be awesome thanks in advance

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Do not use starting fluid. It is hard on the engine and doesn't help with diagnostics.

If injector voltage is weak (must be above 20 volts while cranking) you will not have any fuel injection.

If the Ficht stator and flywheel+magnets are now good then the likely problem is the EMM. It is common for the EMM to need repair as they age.

Backfiring is another symptom of a bad EMM.

Do you have a rough idea of how much it costs to have the emm repaired

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky93 View Post
    Do you have a rough idea of how much it costs to have the emm repaired
    $400US to maybe $600 depending on which company does the repair.

I just took my EMM out of 02 Virage 800 today. Was looking at that core return form. DFI ask you to fill out, is the engine serial number, along with the engine model number important? Damn ski is 3hr's drive from me now, guess I could ask neighbor to get the numbers for me? Looking at their sight. UPS the preferred shipper they want? Getting my ass handed too me, on this ski!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by elk river rascal View Post
    I just took my EMM out of 02 Virage 800 today. Was looking at that core return form. DFI ask you to fill out, is the engine serial number, along with the engine model number important?

Damn ski is 3hr's drive from me now, guess I could ask neighbor to get the numbers for me?

Looking at their sight. UPS the preferred shipper they want? Getting my ass handed too me, on this ski!
    I think the engine serial number and engine model number are mostly for DFI to confirm the EMM you send them really is from/for the correct model.

Sometimes people buy a PWC and the EMM they send out for repair is not even for that model, someone just bolted it in regardless.

This EMM along with the injectors, are from another 02 virage, their is a sticker on EMM, it says eng serial # 526, guess I could add that info in the notes section of the core return form or just call them? Hope these questions I'm asking, helps out the original poster of this thread?

Thread Information