Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    My fuel pick up is a modified FICHT fuel pump. The electric pump was removed. A brass tube was soldered into the piece threaded into the piece with the fuel line nipples similar to the regulato repair. The brass tube goes into the bottom of the bucket. Tje stock fuel filter and check valve at the bottom of the bucket remain. Return fuel flow should dump into the bucket to keep it full. I have a few fuel pumps laying around. I suppose when i get the time i could take one apart and copy what is in my Matrix tank.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matrix View Post
    My fuel pick up is a modified FICHT fuel pump. The electric pump was removed. A brass tube was soldered into the piece threaded into the piece with the fuel line nipples similar to the regulator repair.

The brass tube goes into the bottom of the bucket. The stock fuel filter and check valve at the bottom of the bucket remain.

Return fuel flow should dump into the bucket to keep it full. I have a few fuel pumps laying around. I suppose when i get the time i could take one apart and copy what is in my Matrix tank.
    So the brass tube seals into the flat filter/check valve thingy, similar to what hill showed (but perhaps not as heavy)?

I would be interested to see whether my threaded hose barb repair differs from the Matrix fuel pickup conversion.

Interesting that they did not use the updated Freedom fuel sender. Perhaps it was not yet in production when the Matrix stuff was being done.

+1
    The brass tube is just open on the end. It connects to nothing at the bottom of the bucket. It was cut to length to draw from the bottom of the bucket.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The brass tube is just open on the end. It connects to nothing at the bottom of the bucket.

It was cut to length to draw from the bottom of the bucket.
    The check valve and disc filter are not going to be of any value if the pickup tube is not sealed to the disc opening. Any additional fuel height (from the return fuel flow) inside the bucket is going to drain down to match the level in the outer tank.

So no fuel reservoir effect inside the (hollowed out) fuel pump body

+1
    I would have to look at it again. I wonder if that hole was plugged or not. Maybe i have to pull the pick up out of the tank again and have a look. Or matbe just get the pick up for a Freedom.

+1
    Something lighter than the brass fittings I used would be better. Less likely to brake off. It was simply what was available at my local hardware store, and that's 45min one way. Home Depot is over an hour drive one way

What is funny is I came up with the same general solution having never seen the freedom one. I always find that cool.

Rasta Mon Condoms We Be Jammin!!!!! TxVirageTx's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ripcuda View Post
    Yours is the homemade way to make one of these (very MacGyver'ish!) :

Attachment 357372

The 2004 Freedom fuel canister... with pickup, return, vent and fuel level sender.
    This particular one (2004 only) fits the big fuel canister hole in the MSX fuel tanks.

Perfect for 2-stroking an MSX or mounting an external fuel pump on the Weber.

Cheers!
    somebody sticky this for future reference in the matrix section and the tech section

+1
    Its too bad the Freedom pickup unit is over 200 bucks new. I would buy one otherwise.

+1
    was there not one available back when the super cheap carbs were on this site.i believe they were for conversions

+1
    Its too bad the Freedom pickup unit is over 200 bucks new. I would buy one otherwise.
    So they are still available? Do you have a link? Or are you referring to when they were around. I would consider getting one to put in my trailer box of fix it extra parts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information