Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    +1
    Was there 2 years ago and brought the skies. No 2 stroke skies. Have to have your skies inspected at the inspection station for molusks. Plan your gas trips out at the marinas. there are a number on the lake. The lake is really low. Props will be bent. Good thing you have skies. Went in July, much too hot!. Plenty of sun block. Evenings were great when the sun was going down. Great scenery.

+1
    Only 2500 miles? My trip will be just short of 4000 when finished. Hmmm di the same trip last year and even one farther the summer before and still haven't got to Powell.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 04gtxsc View Post
    Only 2500 miles? My trip will be just short of 4000 when finished. Hmmm di the same trip last year and even one farther the summer before and still haven't got to Powell.
    John, c'mon man. You must be holding your upside down! LOL. If any of you guys get out there this summer, I sure wouldn't mind getting a GPS track to add to the site. Well, any new GPS track at that. It's been tough getting trails from anywhere west of the Mississippi.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by blkturbo! View Post
    Lake Powell is beautiful! I've been to Page, AZ over 25 times over 8yrs from Vegas. It's a large lake, so make sure you're riding safe/reliable skis. Or rent a ski boat as a "home base/rescue vehicle". I like to rent boats from Buzz Off Powersports in Big Water, UT which is only 5mi away from Wahweap marina.

Page, AZ has VERY cool shit to do, so since you're coming from long drive, plan to stay a while and make it all worth it! There are PLENTY of hotels to grab (I think over 30) and plenty enough food choices.

In no particular order!:

**Antelope Canyon (lower is prettier)
    **Horseshoe Bend hike
    Cayaking the river below dam
    Plane tours over the lake
    Rent a ski boat and go tubing in the different canyons and coves
    *Boat tours from Wahweap Marina
    Go see "Rainbow Bridge" either by your boat or your rental boat (that's 50mi upstream from Wahweap, but easy enough).
    Hot air balloon show in Nov.
    Rent 4 wheelers to the remote lake overlooks
    Visit the "Navajo Bridge" that crosses over the river gorge

PAGE, AZ ----->> ENJOY!!

Edit: the lake is low right now, so you won't be able to use the "short cut" located directly across from Wahweap marina. So if renting a boat or taking a tour, expect to go the longer route passing by Antelope Point Marina.
    Not to hijack this thread but thanks for this information. We're going there in May on a whole southern Utah trip and our last 3 days we are staying at the Lake Powell Resort. Would you recommend Wahweap as the best place to rent skis and/or boats? What's the lake like as the day heats up? I remember from Tahoe years ago that the mornings were tranquil and you could see 100 feet down but after 11:00 AM or so the winds kick up and the lake gets really rough.

I wouldn't consider this a hijack, since I'd say your questions are very relevant to the OP's interests.

As for winds, it's like anywhere else I guess...you might get lucky, you might not. But yea, at the very least, mornings are usually pretty slick unless there's a particular storm (which is usually unlikely in the desert). The best way to put it is that I've seen plenty more glass/comfortable water than not At the moment, I can only recall one rough afternoon I've had on the water there (okay, 2 afternoons).

Its typically nice weather...there's pretty much ZERO shade, so bring water, some wet clothing and sun screen for sure! But yea, at least you'll be there in May vs Aug!

I've always been a "shopper" and so I've priced around when it comes to rental options/prices. Marinas are usually higher, I'm assuming for the obvious convenience. But I've always been happy finding my rental boats off-site to save money and/or to have other vehicle options. I've rented boats from "Buzz Off Powersports" (in Big Water, UT). It's 5miles down the hwy from Wahweap in a boat storage building. You can rent their truck to tow with for an extra $35 (you drive your rentals INTO federal parks yourself).

If you like to shop also, there are other boat shops sprinkled around Page that have rental stuff too. Just stick with anything that looks and sounds reliable. Also, they'll have slightly varying rental hours too. There's some boat places on some of the side streets in Page, along the heart of the "main drag" through town.

Yes, for what you'll be seeing and doing, you will be at the Wahweap marina area just minutes from Page/Glenn Canyon Dam. You won't be seeing the other marinas unless you gas up at Dangling Rope marina, if you cruise upstream that far (20-30ish miles?).
    You WILL need and TAKE a lake map with you from whoever has them to offer (marina, Buzz Off). It has mile markers (and toilets) on it that match the lake's markers. That goes DOUBLE if you plan to find Dangling Rope marina for gas top-off. That one is very easy to miss! This lake has MANY more canyons and coves than lake Mead (and larger, longer ones)!
    If you're not tubing, you may want to visit "Rainbow Bridge" 50mi upstream, on your right. It's easily doable in a ski boat, don't let the mileage scare you. Buzz Off (or marinas) can of course inform you of those sorts of details.

Since summer isn't here yet, the water will still be a little cool. Maybe you'll want to swim in it, maybe not. Lake Mead doesn't get comfortably warm until June-ish I think....hot by Aug.

If you're considering any of the boat tours, all of them (3-4 of them) from Wahweap marina are great. Just pick the length and price you want and go from there. The longest tour is to Rainbow Bridge.

Everything mentioned can easily be Googled for further details if interested.
    I suggest you don't go to Page without seeing Antelope canyon. I personally prefer the "lower". I've been to the Upper once, and I've done the lower over 10 times easily. I can even tell you the best times of day to go if you need me to and also best to enter the lower canyon LAST in your tour group if you're a photographer.

Off topic:
    Where else in southern Utah are you going? Shoot me any questions if you want...I've combed nearly every mile (probably every!) of the area from Moab to Page a bunch of times, on and off road. The only place in all of UT that I can't tell you much about is Salt Lake City.

Im Utah's bitch!

+1
    Does anyone know if Wahweap has a problem with work trucks entering? It seems like an odd question but when I read their website it said "Non commercial vehicles" were allowed in. I'm assuming they mean large trucks or even semi trucks are not allowed, I'd hate to get there and be turned away just because I have a sign on either side of my truck. I can always call ahead but I feel like that question will be met with some confusion by whoever answers.

I was at Lake Powell a few days ago and took this pic of Wahweap marina/bay. The stretch of land across the center is where you can see it's low...otherwise, that's where the shortcut is located and would run you narrowly right up the center - when leaving the marina and heading straight out. Yes it's low, but as you can see, the lake has plenty of water for jetskis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	359845  

+1
    I was at Lake Powell a few days ago and took this pic of Wahweap marina/bay. The stretch of land across the center is where you can see it's low...otherwise, that's where the shortcut is located and would run you narrowly right up the center - when leaving the marina and heading straight out. Yes it's low, but as you can see, the lake has plenty of water for jetskis
    Very nice, very shortly I'll post a picture too!

Nice! Should be nice weather (by law of averages, ha) since some rain storms have been all over southern Utah last week. I haven't checked to see if they're done blowing over.

Damn it was busy in Utah, and holy crap the amount of people going into Antelope canyon these days So what all plans do you have for the trip? Just FYI, if you're into opinions, I could offer some to help you be "ready"

+1
    Nice! Should be nice weather (by law of averages, ha) since some rain storms have been all over southern Utah last week. I haven't checked to see if they're done blowing over.

Damn it was busy in Utah, and holy crap the amount of people going into Antelope canyon these days So what all plans do you have for the trip? Just FYI, if you're into opinions, I could offer some to help you be "ready"
    Sean, thank you for your offer of help, I do appreciate it. We had only 1-1/2 days at LP after going to Bryce, Zion, Grand Staircase Escalante, Boulder, so I was kind of limited to what we could do. If we had more time, I would have reached out to you. We do plan on going back someday and spending more time on the water.

Lake Powell is an amazing place and we loved going to Antelope Canyon and the ride next day to Rainbow Bridge.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0995.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	361271Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1059.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	361272Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1113.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	361273Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF1183.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	361274Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0824.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	99.0 KB 
ID:	361275

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information