Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    We will need to know who is coming and for how many nights. Reason being, the full rental cost of the cabin is due by June 20th to the owner of the cabin. I will be sending the money to the owners. Once we have numbers and cost calculated, I will need to take collections from everyone via paypal to pay for the rental. I do not want to play "bank" for a rather large sum of money.

Just throwing another idea out there. Keith and Marion have numbers from the last few years regarding the food costs. I would tend to be in favor of collecting a little up front to go do the shopping for food. This just helps with one or two people having a rather large outlay of cash up front. I know last year, for example, I had roughly 1000 dollars of my own money out there before we collected at the end. With the higher cost of this new place, I am trying to avoid that.

It will basically turn out to be that everyone owes X amount of dollars per night that they will be there. There is good and bad to this plan. The bad is that we have to pay for it a month in advance. The good is that once we all arrive, there will be no concerns about money for the trip and we can all just ride and have fun.

Obviously if any adjustments have to be made while we are at the cabin, that will be done, either in the form of a refund or collecting additional money to cover costs. Keith and myself will be making these calculations in the next few days so that everyone has ample time to prepare.

There is a 750 security deposit that has to be sent in at the time of booking. I will be covering this.

In addition to the 300 per night rent, there is a 150 cleaning fee added to the rental. The 150 covers all of the time we will be there, not 150 per night. That will be added to the total.

We are looking right now at roughly 350 per night, divided by anywhere from 10 to probably 16 people. Still a very reasonably priced getaway and a good time for not a lot of money. I would guess maybe 15 dollars per person per day for food. These numbers are rough estimates meant to give everyone an idea of what the trip will cost. Actual numbers will vary, but not by much.

If anyone has any ideas to offer as far as food goes please share them.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1
    The exact dollar numbers are going to jig around as the head count evolves. Bryan has posted some of the known cost factors.

In round number terms, budget for around $50 per person, per night, maybe a little higher. Covers the property rental and fees, and a good portion of the shared food costs.

Food costs are something we want to maintain some control over by having just a couple of people handle the majority of the shopping. Doing the shopping ahead of time also allows us to spend more time on the island, less time on the mainland.

We may need go back to the mainland once or twice for more fuel and food supplies.

There is also a damage deposit. Hopefully no damage occurs, but there is a chance that the deposit is forfeited if something happens. If something does occur, I expect people can agree to chip in appropriately so Bryan and myself are not stuck with the costs.

Other costs not included;
    Alcohol beverages
    Gasoline
    Your own Ferry rides to the island
    Travel costs to get to Harsens Island and back home
    Watercraft/equipment breakage

Value of seeing friends and riding some rather unique waters: priceless

The rental property looks to be quite nice and the overall value as a vacation experience seems very much within reason.

+1
    With the arrival of the larger group 50 per night per person is probably on the high end.

Click avatar for tech links/info K447's Avatar
    +1

Harsens Island ferry schedule and costs

SUMMER SCHEDULE
    6:00AM to Midnight - Service runs continously
    Midnight to 6:00AM - Every 20 minutes on the hour

RATES: $6.00 per vehicle
    $2.00 Mopeds and Motorcycles
    $4.00 per axle for single wheel trailers
    $12.00 per axle for larger vehicles and trailers

$80.00 - book of 20 commuter tickets

Ferry toll is only collected going to the island.
    Coming back to mainland there is no further fee.

Pedestrian and bicycle traffic no charge either direction, as far as I understand.

Address:
    3647 Pte Tremble Rd
    Algonac, MI 48001

GPS Coordinates:
    42.6181388210757, -82.5604748725891

Phone: 810-748-3757

www.harsensisland.com

+1
    Also keep in mind that the lodging is more expensive. Your fuel is considerably cheaper than last year. That will offset a lot of tje cost.

6. +1 by:

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Last year's food costs ran about $400 for the gathering. Bear in mind that some of us brought baked goods and other treats and didn't ask or expect to be paid for them. By my calculation that was well over $100 saved courtesy of a few people. I assume this to happen again this year.

I have the grocery receipts and the list of what was actually consumed so we can tweak the grocery shopping accordingly. Having a Kroger card helps as well.

I will gladly do the shopping again this year. If you plan to bring a "food donation" to the gathering please let me know well ahead of time, so I can shop and plan meals accordingly.

And yes, wild blueberries and maple syrup for pancakes will be coming with me.

+1
    I will be most likely bringing a grill since there is not one on site to use. I will buy a nice tabletop Weber grill to bring.

+1
    I will also bring Cheetos

+1
    Ill bring American cheese.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    We need a Mid-Atlantic gathering

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread Information