Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper9789 View Post
    I wasnt referring to this thread about air fuel ratio, there are multiple ones in the 4 stroke section and people never mention ignition timing, ive ran turbo and nitrous. Afr is not your only concern... but yes the efi kit will bolt straight up to the 1200, the cases are the same. I am looking to hit 70 and any more is a bonus, when the motor goes, im stuffing an sho in there. Which will cost as much as a used 09 sho, but will be alot faster. Ive been checking auctions for some skis. I love the gp1200r, but I hate premix. No torque and fuel mileage os worse for the simple fact of running a quart of oil per 10 gallons, which is 2 hours of easy riding. I got a super deal on this ski and planned to flip it this spring for a pretty big turn over, but now after learning, I want to keep the gpr hull.
    Yeah i agree reaper. I've thought about doing the same eventually with my gp1200r hull once I'm done with the 1200 engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 007GPR08 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikegp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 007GPR08 View Post

Why do u believe the FI setup will provide more power? FI is definitely not as finicky and no adjustments once you get the A/F ratio correct, and can provide consistency, but why do you believe it will provide more power?
    I never said he was going to get more power, we were talking on making things easier, EFI IS DEFINITELY EASIER TO WORK WITH , AND LOT MORE RELIABLE THAN CARBS. it will start and idle much better .
    and in my opinion , adding an efi controller , 4* key way , raise comp to 150 and it will be running around 75 far more reliable than any carb engine.
    You said 'drop the 1300r setup lee has and you will be blasting those xp's', I thought you were alluding to it making more power.
    Comparing my gp1200r to my gp1300r the only difference i notice is ease of starting. Other than that, power, fuel usage, etc is not noticeable. I do like FI though if nothing more than ease of maintenance. Does the FI bolt right up to where the carbs are now?
    if you can't see any difference between your 1200r and 1300r you better check the 1300r , cause its a day and night , starting, idle, accel , and most important fuel consumption. 1300 's are way more fuel efficient .
    on the other hand , yes it will bolt right on , if you have the whole kit, I have it on a box on my garage , I still have to go through , but just looking I can see it has , stator w /flywheel , two harness , two pv servos , completed EFI setup w harness , ecu , reeds , efi boots , air box ,two plates in between the reeds and efi boots , bendix , and maybe more , all from 03 1300R

keep in mind it belongs to leejax01 ,not mine.
    Mike, I can assure you there's nothing wrong with my gp1300r. ..i bought it brand new from a yamaha dealer 7 yrs ago and it has slightly less than 50 hrs on it. I've ridden them back to back several times. They run within 1.5 mph of each other top end and although i haven't raced them side by side i can't tell a noticeable difference. Mind you though the gp1300r is stock with exception to a D-plate. Besides starting, there's no difference.

+1
    So I installed the r&d 1200 intake grate yesterday and went for a run today. A little sad it didnt help with holeshot, but holy shit.... rough water hookup is amazing. My gps showed the normal 64.3mph but this time I had both kids with me and the water was really rough. Like constant 8-12" rough chop. I am very happy with the grate and wish I got one a long time ago lol. The kids together probably weigh 100 to 120 and im 220 to 230 so estimating 64.3 @350 lbs is amazing for the gpr.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Reaper9789 View Post
    So I installed the r&d 1200 intake grate yesterday and went for a run today. A little sad it didnt help with holeshot, but holy shit.... rough water hookup is amazing. My gps showed the normal 64.3mph but this time I had both kids with me and the water was really rough. Like constant 8-12" rough chop. I am very happy with the grate and wish I got one a long time ago lol. The kids together probably weigh 100 to 120 and im 220 to 230 so estimating 64.3 @350 lbs is amazing for the gpr.

Holy shit you had two "small" kids out on a GPR flat out in rough conditions.???

Were there other skiers out with you.?
    - Did you consider the possibility of the three of you in the water at anything from 10 to 100+ meters apart.??
    - (sounds like the kids are somewhere in the 3-5 year old range, -/+1 )

Damn,. Even just the speed with two small kids aboard.?

IT all sounds a little reckless..

+1
    Lol 100 meters, give me a break.

7 and 9 actually. We have lots of fun all the time. No baby crap going on around here. They ride the tube, are very proficient swimmers, everyone has a vest. They ride their own 4 wheeler by them selves. When I was a kid we didnt have seat belts, we rode motorcycles, and over all did dangerous stuff. I dont raise my kids in the panzy america that most other people do. Call it wreckless, they call it life and are happy to enjoy it. At any moment some drunk driver could crash into your truck and kill your whole family. Have fun while you can..

Besides all that, we were pretty much cruising at 40 from the swim spot and just opened it up on the last stretch to the ramp.

+1
    8-12 inches is normal that really is not rough chop. I ride that on on normal day and will pull close to 70 on that type of water. R&d grate with jims and sponson up. My ski likes rough water . Keep working it will get better. I don't see you getting anything other than mid 60's without opening the motor. key way and reeds etc.

+1
    I was wondering about that. people always talk about the keyway on the 1300, wasnt sure if it still made the difference on the 1200. I will be getting the head milled, not sure how much further i will go after that.. if it involves pulling the motor, i wont be doing it LOL.
    yeah 8-12 isnt very bad, actually kinda smooth for my lake. i was just really impressed how the grate soaked it up

+1
    Hello, NO you do not have to pull the motor for Key Way, or to pull heads off. You will have to remove the exhaust/muffler system to get @ the front of the motor area you do have to remove the flywheel covering the stater. Then on the shaft you remove the current woodruff key and install the 3 or 4 degree keyway. Rich, does sell them @ $50. if you have all the exhaust/muffler system off it is a great time to make any mods to the throttle body ... like changing reeds if you so choose. Also sense you have the back stinger section of the exhaust/muffler off you can install the Jetworks hole-shot mod. Again, Rich has those also ... see it is real easy to do a shit load of performance mods once you decide to spend $$ & have the hangering to work on your ski. By the way these are all DYI things that are not that difficult to accomplish if you can turn a wrench. And there are a lot of "how to do videos" on this forum that will guide you each step of the way. By the way, John (04GTXSC), Is correct, if you really want to make a difference & still have a very reliable ski ... you will have to do a few mods like 1. Mill the heads, 2. Add the keyway, 3. send the jugs out to be ported, and change the reeds to VFIII's. then real high 70's + numbers can be seen. Good Luck ....by the way I am right there with you I have all the bolt ons, the keyway, the milled heads, the hole shot jetworks, and guess what I just got my VFIII reeds & I removed the jugs to ship off to have ported. And no I never did remove the engine ... really no big deal. And yes it is also my 1st time making this many mods as a DYI guy. kind of fun really. keep-n- touch as to your progress.

9. +1 by:

+1
    Nice, thanks man. I know I dont have to pull motor for head, I already replaced a jug, first thing I did. Not sure how long this motor will last, I might do the keyway when I do the head.. it helps on the 1200 right? Not doing reeds or porting though, after the head everything needs to be hull related that will accommodate the sho conversion in the future. Except I will be doing the jetworks holeshot from wfo. I pull the tube alot so need holeshot.

+1
    Shimmed the ride plate, polished rideplate and trim tabs, going out tomorrow to see if I can break 65. 64.9 has been my top speed recorded and 64.3 my constant.. im about on 2 bars with beeper, lets see how it goes.. I will post everything when I get to work tomorrow, water time around 8am cst.

Then fun on the water in the afternoon, wakeskating and overall joyriding.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread Information