Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast
    Very odd. Once it is set to read 50 MPH, it should be dead nuts accurate. The GPS chipset we use is generally more accurate than most hand held GPS units, because most handhelds use a method based on differences in sets of positions, whereas our chip uses a doppler shift algorithm in conjunction with the position data. But you shouldn't see 5 MPH difference.

Questions:

1. At rest, does the speedo read 50 MPH when you first startup?
    2. At what speed was it 5 MPH off?
    3. On your buddy's ski, does he have one of our units?

Let me know, and you could always send it back for a replacement if it is defective.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by CANDooPro View Post
    Very odd. Once it is set to read 50 MPH, it should be dead nuts accurate. The GPS chipset we use is generally more accurate than most hand held GPS units, because most handhelds use a method based on differences in sets of positions, whereas our chip uses a doppler shift algorithm in conjunction with the position data. But you shouldn't see 5 MPH difference.

Questions:

1. At rest, does the speedo read 50 MPH when you first startup?
    2. At what speed was it 5 MPH off?
    3. On your buddy's ski, does he have one of our units?

Let me know, and you could always send it back for a replacement if it is defective.

Jeff
    Answers to questions
    1. Yes. Today, on the trailer - first start it was stuck on 50 MPH again. Pulled DESS key and re-inserted it and the odometer read zero
    2. Any speed above 5 mph... I am going to use another handheld device and a GPS MPH app on my phone for comparison
    3. No, just the standard unit the Yami are equipe with.

Today, out of curiosity I used the same handheld in my car and it did not match (about 4 to 6 MPH flux different) my vehicle MPH either, I'm thinking the GPS module is dead nuts accurate as stated, but why it doesn't go to zero on the first start is baffling to me.

Thanks Jeff

Let me explain in more detail about the 50 MPH calibration signal you see.

When you first power up our unit from a cold start (after the ski has been off for over 5 hours), it takes anywhere from 20 seconds to sometimes 50 seconds for the GPS module to get new coordinates from the GPS satellites and get a lock on the satellites it uses for the purpose of the speedometer function. (the typical time is about 35 seconds) During this time, our module send a signal to the cluster that is the same as if the GPS unit is going 50 MPH. This 50 MPH pulse therefore has two purposes, 1. It lets you know that the GPS module has not locked on the satellite yet. 2. You know that if the cluster reads 50, then the unit is properly calibrated.

Once it has acquired the satellite, it drops to zero. The module has a built-in supercapacitor, which is basically like a battery. It stores energy which is applied to the memory of the GPS module to make it so that when you shut off the ski, and start it back up, it will only take a second or two for the GPS module to lock back on the satellites. It will store this lock for anywhere from 3 to 5 hours with ski off.

So the fact you are seeing 50 when you first start up the ski is normal.

Jeff

4. +1 by:

Roger that Jeff! Thanks for explaining the process of the initial startup of the unit. So, I just need to be patient and allow the GPS (do it's thang) acquire the signal and drop to zero. With that being said, I can safely assume my unit is operating accordingly. I really appreciate you chiming in and A799 my discrepancies. If you are not familiar with A799, they are codes we use in the aviation industry to sign off discrepancies that aren't really discrepancies. hehehe

Jeff - I finally go around to taking the ski out and comparing the GPS module rpm against another gps indicator and they both were married up exactly the same. The truth can be very frustrating at times, analog (paddle wheel) was reading about 3 to 5 rpm higher than the actual the speed. Once again, thanks for chiming in and providing guidance.

+1
    Just order one last night for my RXPX and was seeing if the speed is still reading zero below 5mph. I would rather see the speed jump around a bit personally than zero.

+1
    Duplicate post
    Last edited by mark2m; 08-18-2015 at 08:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark2m View Post
    Just order one last night for my RXPX and was seeing if the speed is still reading zero below 5mph. I would rather see the speed jump around a bit personally than zero.
    If I'm not mistaken, there a reason why the it was setup reason the way it does. Good luck with the install, it is a plug-n-play like hook up.

+1
    Just thought I would post up my impression. When it works it is right on or at least closest whole speed. No tenths. Problem is finding a place that it will work consistently is a pain. Still haven't found one that works evry time. The actual best place was one time when it came loose from where it was attached to the hull and was just flopping around. Seems to be way to sensitive to where you put it. Even tried just laying it in the front bucket on top of the towels. Would work for a while then while still moving would go to 50 , 65, 0 and back to 50 for a couple of miles then all of a sudden it would go back to the correct MPH. Go figure.

+1
    Installed and used this past weekend. Installation and setup was straight forward. The magnet idea is pretty simple way to calibrate it. I like that feature. I mounted the GPS receiver towards the nose of the ski. I just zipped tied it to the air intake tube for now. I was planning on velcroing it to the foam up by the battery but so far this works great. It locks on in less than a minute and didnt lost the signal the whole weekend. Response time from the unit is great. Very quick. To answer my own question. It still doesn't register a speed below 5mph though except when I was slowing down from above 5mph. Kinda sucks but my biggest disappointment with the GPS speedometer is that I can no longer tell my friends my ski goes faster than 70mph now. Saw 68 flat out maybe flashed to 69 mph but no 70. Stock RXPX though. I need upgrades now. Lol.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread Information