Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by dckalop View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainReza View Post
    Tommy, he was being sarcastic. He wanted to make a point that no matter who says what, certain people don't see a problem with their beloved machine.
    Yea Tommy... I was being sarcastic, I actually value your opinion as dealer with your experience and you're speaking the truth, unlike some of the paid posters here.
    Who are you calling "PAID POSTERS?"

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 007GPR08 View Post
    Interesting read.

http://watercraftjournal.com/incredi...cessful-forum/

Would a GPR SMC hull have the same issues at 90mph?
    GPR hulls have been doing 90 mph for yrs a few over a 100mph,that's with a SHO engine or Rotax engine...

Over stuffed pumps, pump tunnel cracking ,intake grates breaking and of course sometimes engine damage can potentially happen,my 07 GPR was solid other than the usual dings ,just to light and not a deep V that I really wanted..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdave56 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 007GPR08 View Post
    Interesting read.

http://watercraftjournal.com/incredi...cessful-forum/

Would a GPR SMC hull have the same issues at 90mph?
    GPR hulls have been doing 90 mph for yrs a few over a 100mph,that's with a SHO engine or Rotax engine...

Over stuffed pumps, pump tunnel cracking ,intake grates breaking and of course sometimes engine damage can potentially happen,my 07 GPR was solid other than the usual dings ,just to light and not a deep V that I really wanted..
    Thanks jetdave56. I knew the gpr hulls were used for conversion skis for those 90+mph skis, just didn't know if people were experiencing the same type of failures that Jerry did in the article (spider web cracks around pump tunnel, even with reinforcement). You are right about the light hull and therefore they won't be as smooth in rough water, but honestly, from what I've read so far about the nano hull, I would rather build a conversion ski in a gpr hull if I was looking for mostly top speed. I don't have the pull to just call up yamaha like Jerry did if I ruined a hull and be supplied with a new one. From what I've read, definitely doesn't appear the nano hull is 'stronger" like yamaha has claimed.

+1
    I can not say I have any issues with my 09 FZR except for the things that I have played around with. Granted I would appreciate a carbon fiber hull so my legs didn't have to be such shock absorbers when riding because the top deck is definitely flimsy. Here is some rough riding.The bigger waves come after 2:45min

+1
    Ski seems sideways in the air almost all the time. Trade it in for a Kawasaki 310 for what your doing

+1
    Just got back from my 10 day trip I did have a pretty major failure though on the ski 😞 hopefully Yamaha will replace the glove box under warranty because my son broke it off. If not I will start a thread about how Yamaha is crap.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Ha...ha...the thread is still alive up to 15 pages!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkCanuck View Post
    Ha...ha...the thread is still alive up to 15 pages!
    Only 4 pages for me lol. Gotta love the more posts per page setting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by r33pwrd View Post
    Just got back from my 10 day trip I did have a pretty major failure though on the ski  hopefully Yamaha will replace the glove box under warranty because my son broke it off. If not I will start a thread about how Yamaha is crap.

My glove box is still alive on my 2001 gpr, but who needs a 'glove' box on a ski anyway???

11. +1 by:

Captain, I started reading your first post on this subject with interest as I thought it may spark some healthy responses, and it did. However, the more posts I read from Captain, the more apparent it was that this is a 'brand bashing' exercise, contrary to the claim you made in your first post. I am not trying to discard your opinion, however it seems you have limitless expectations. To point out what you to believe to be defects in products is fine, and it always sparks a healthy debate, however you have done it with such a willingness to tarnish the Yamaha brand.

In my opinion, all brands have improved their quality. I don't think any brand 'sticks their head in the sand' and acts to resolve their weaknesses. I have worked on all brands in my 16 years in the industry, and obviously we are Australia's most prominent Yamaha dealer, and I think some issues on public forums are absolute 'beat-ups'. I think what has changed, is that people now voice their dissatisfactions on public forums, and these sorts of forums weren't around 10-odd years ago. The 'power' of the keyboard propels one sided arguments into the spotlight and they are often labelled 'brand problems', which ever brand it may be.

There are certain things on all brands that often frustrate me, such as the flimsy front hoods and glove box design of pretty much all of the lower models of any brand, however I am also reasonable enough to know that all products are not flawless in design and all brands will have their issues. The fact that an ECU failed at 80hrs, sure that is frustrating but is it a major, unconscionable failure that would result in a flippant distrust of the product? I am not saying that you have made a big deal out of it, however what I am pointing out that is people behind keyboards often make these sorts of problems much, much bigger than they deserve to be. BTW, that would have been warranty in AUS anyway. We have changed well over 300 clutches in the past 5 years, 95% of them not through failure, but Yamaha's acknowledgement of this fault and their willingness to 'right' this issue during normal scheduled servicing, now that is not burying their head in the sand is it? Of the contrary, the new 2013+ clutch has been great, I'm sure there is a story out there about some 2013+ model having a failure which will probably get beaten up on a forum somewhere, however I would consider the clutch issue a thing of the past as we have has next to no problems with the new clutch.
    The cruiser seat for 2012 was no good, granted. However there actually was a revised interim cover (before the 2014 seat) which we actually changed on about 30 customers skis which had double stitched and modified pull tabs, none of those seats have ever been back.
    The nanoXcell has been a talking point. I must say that the problems seems huge online in the forum environment, however in reality and in the day to day, we see almost no customer issues with it. The first production run of the 2009 FZR's has problems, yes, however on the most part, what issues we do see are generally from 'tow in surfers' which 'slide' their skis up the beach at speed, and eventually wear through the bottom. However, we don't see cracks or anything else that cant be attributed to some sort of environmental cause. And we definitely don't see a repetitive and reoccurring particular issue. I have seen plenty of stuff online, and I have seen plenty of people drag it through the mud, but I can only comment on what we see as Yamaha's largest dealer in AUS. A lot of our customers also ride in the surf. However, I believe that Yamaha is listening, and changes will be made to improve the 'wear' rate or should I say, the hardness of the material for resting on the beach and alike. In fact, compound changes were made in 2014, the compound is much harder and one of our commercial users who has both the 2013 and 2014 FX's has noticed an improvement. Anyway, all will be revealed in the coming days.

However, getting back to your initial question, I think Yamaha and all brands take their quality seriously, I have spent time with some of Yamaha R&D guys from Japan, and they take it very seriously. There is always going to be errors in design, but I think in perspective, which is the way I see it, there are very little inherent issues with Yamaha Watercraft. I see plenty of forum posts about 'some terrible' design fault all that particular model of watercraft must have, however we deal with these watercraft every single day, and what people try to infer on forums is a large defect that must affect the entire brand like a plague, simply doesn't stack up from where I sit. Forums like this often tell one side of a story, but for every 1 person that has a defective product, there is another 200 that love their product. And a lot of the time, there is always another side to that 1 persons complaint.

One last thing, a little story. I was doing a finance application for a customer the other day when I placed my iPhone on the desk. The person asked my how long I have had my phone cover (lifeproof cover). I have had it 8 months and it looks a little ratty, it has had a rough time. He told me to take it back and complain that it wasn't of acceptable quality as it had deteriorated to this state. He said that is how he got his iPhone cover replaced. I thought about it a bit later, however I would not do that. I am objective and reasonable enough to know that this phone cover has been of very good quality, the fact it looks like this 8 months after purchase is not because it is defective, or poorly designed, it is because of the abuse I have dished out to it. However, the point is that he was happy to question the integrity of the product, as if this product is limitless and cannot possibly break under any circumstances. Is that reasonable, is that fair to expect that of any product? Because it seems to be the 'norm' these days. If that's the way it is going, then all manufacturers must improve their product design and quality to a 'godly' standard, I just hope the consumer is ready to pay! Or start a thread about how manufactures rip everyone off!

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information