Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by ratpac4 View Post
    Just came across the thread and I am now subscribed. I'm also in Houston area (Lake Houston) and also am embarking on a 550SX project. I started a thread on another forum because I didnt see any stand-up activity here (maybe my mistake). Anyway - You've done some great work, not only the ski but also your detailed and extensive posts. I'm looking forward to reading/seeing more!
    Thanks for the kind words, how is the riding out at Lake Houston? I grew up riding in the Clear Lake area but I moved out to Sugarland a few years ago and have not been able to find anywhere local to get wet.

If you feel like it, post up a new thread on what you are working on, I am crossposting mine on 2 other sites because the standup people don't seem to hang here much.

It seems close Steve but the finish line seems to be slipping further away as I make progress. Its a familar feeling with all my other projects though. I will eventually get there.

I will hopefully have another update this week.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    It seems close Steve but the finish line seems to be slipping further away as I make progress. Its a familiar feeling with all my other projects though. I will eventually get there.

Sean
    I know the feeling! You'll have it finished before I finish my airplane. Every week I find another part I need to order. One day I just laid under it for 2 hours wondering how in the hell I'm going to get all the hydraulic lines routed...

3. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I know the feeling! You'll have it finished before I finish my airplane. Every week I find another part I need to order. One day I just laid under it for 2 hours wondering how in the hell I'm going to get all the hydraulic lines routed...
    I did that with my truck the other day, I have airlines to route and wiring for a bunch of extra accessories. It was kind of cathartic

On the plus side, I am doing it properly now so there is that.

Sean

+1
    I sometimes wonder how the rest of the world just sits around and watches TV and plays Candy Crush.
    If Iím forced to watch a movie or TV with the family I am constantly thinking about the next step of the current project... What tools do I need? What parts? Do I need to research? How can I do it easier or for less $$? How much can I get done before bedtime?
    Itís some sort of warped ADD or OCD or some combo of the two.
    If there was no project in my life I would prolly be committed.
    At the same time Iím confident the rest of the world is wondering how the hell we do what we do. They see what we do and are like ďOh hell noĒ. Or ďhow the hell did you do that?!?Ē

+1

Smokeysevin's juryrigged standup (js550) project

Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Thanks for the kind words, how is the riding out at Lake Houston? I grew up riding in the Clear Lake area but I moved out to Sugarland a few years ago and have not been able to find anywhere local to get wet.

If you feel like it, post up a new thread on what you are working on, I am crossposting mine on 2 other sites because the standup people don't seem to hang here much.

Sean
    Lake Houston is just ok. Houses line the lake so thereís not much to ďseeĒ.
    You can run up the East or West fork of the San Jacinto which is a decent trek. You can find a few beaches to park and chill but they are scarce. If youíve only run salt water it would be nice break to run up the river. Easy to launch and thereís even a few restaurants on the West fork at the Kingwood bridge. Bring a full tank and know your limit. Thereís no gas on Lake Houston. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9131.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	462226

I like the forum here for my Ultra 150ís and the help everyone has given but like you said, just no stand up activity. I will keep my standup project on the other and keep Ultra 150 here. I actually have a third project - two flooded Honda Aquatrax R-12ís that will be on a third site. Iíve noticed that forums are normally very specific and if you donít go along with the theme there isnít much support. Like Kawi guys want nothing to do with the Honda (or just donít know anything about Honda so canít help) and the Honda guys know nothing about Kawi or didnít even know they still make stand up skis.

My other projects:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9132.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	462227

Name:	IMG_9120.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	462228Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9123.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	462231

Name:	IMG_9127.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	462232

+1
    Exhaust Part 2 (Tank-ing one for the team)

Fuel Tank

Picking up where the last post left off, the fuel tank needed to be massaged to clear the stinger cone of the PJS exhaust. The tank was removed and given a moderately thorough cleaning with some mineral spirits before it was more aggressively cleaned on the outside with some citrus engine de-greaser and a grey scotch brite. Once cleaned I broke out the heat gun and got the tank uncomfortably hot before I gave it a good smoosh-ing. I am not particularly happy with my first tank adjustment. I may spring for a nice aluminum one at some point but for now, this will work alright since it doesn't leak and it allows the stock straps to be used.

Exhaust

I knew from the moment I started on this project that I wanted to go to a rear exhaust setup but couldn't find out much about how to get it going. Once I dropped the engine back onto the mounts and tossed the carbs on, I was able to play around with the space between the bottom of the carbs and the hull to see what would fit. Based on some feedback from this thread, I went ahead and ordered a shed load of 2" stainless exhaust tube, stainless combo bends, and a stainless u bend from verocious motorsports. I plan on stuffing that together into some kind of system. To get started, I poked some holes into the hull where it looked reasonable. On the inside, the hole was positioned so the exit was high enough to minimize the possibility of water backing into the exhaust. The rear hull hole was positioned with enough space to add a flapper tip and to add a pair of hull drains on the inner corners.

Once the cuts were made, I needed to cut the plug of foam out of the inside of the tube path. Initially, I tried to just use the tube to cut the plug out but I have wimp arms which prevented that technique from working. Instead, I went over to my stash of random drill bits and grabbed a 2" self feed auger bit and popped a 7/16" socket on the end of it. To make the bit reach all the way through, I popped 3 extensions onto that assembly and wrapped the whole mess in gorilla tape.

I only lost the bit in the hole twice thank you very much. While the bit can clear the chunks of foam, if you get too much built up behind the bit, you will separate the pieces. Running the shop vac in the bung hole to suck the chunks out helps keep the bit from getting stuck.

The biggest challenge with this whole thing is that you have to line your entry and exit up. I got within about an inch but had to go back and chunk out some of the foam to make the holes line up.

Time Spent:
    4 Hours (Not completed yet)

Tools Used:

Shop Vac
    Air Die Grinder w/ 100 grit flap wheel
    2" Hole Saw
    7/16" deep socket
    3-12" 3/8" extensions
    2" Self feeding saw
    Drill
    Impact Driver
    Sharpie
    Heat Gun

Materials Used:
    3" wide gorilla tape

PPE Used:
    3M Worktunes Headhones
    Respirator
    Welding Gloves

Percentage of Garage Floor Epoxy Coated
    22.2%

Percentage complete:
    69% (nice)

Sean

Tank with new performance dent

Detail of said performance dent

Clearance around performance dent

Just one more of the performance dent

Rear exhaust hole and preliminary marks for hull drains

Inside Exhaust Hole (This looks low but give it a second and it will make sense)

Does it make a little sense now?

Detail of inner cut fit. ( I will end up plugging the holes in the bulkhead with something temporary. I would eventually like to run the new cooling lines to those holes just to keep everything clean but that will come later if/when I widen the tray.)

Rear exit location and angle

Tucks up nicely at the inside of the hood flange with clearance between the hull and exhaust.

Take a look inside the whispering eye

I took a chunk of foam out from the area directly behind the sponson rivet location so I could fit a ufo mount so the sponsons could be bolted on. I am going to do the same thing on the other side and stuff the hole with a scupper or move the fire extinguisher down there so I can use the upper mount to store dry goods.

Hull drain location. These are stock Kawasaki 15f drains I pulled off one of my scrap hulls.

+1
    Sponson Mount Part 1 (C'mon spon-son)

Since my hull has been painted no less than 4 colors with at least one layer of gel coat applied somewhere in there, one of my goals for this ski was to be able to properly paint the hull. This required me to remove the stock sponsons so that I could do a good job of sanding the rear section. Additionally, I may end up doing a layer of glass over the outside of the vertical portions of the hull to glass the tubbies on as well which would mean I need to cover the whole sides.

With the sponsons removed, I could have just tossed a new set of rivets in the holes but I wanted to make the tubbies into a tunable part as well so they needed to support adjustability. On the runabouts, this is done with a brass threaded insert held in place by a carbon steel bracket that keeps the inserts from spinning. Rather than go that route, I just fabbed up some aluminium plates that will get glued and screwed into the hull.

The stock sponsons only use 2 holes to fasten them but to make sure I didn't lose one of the brackets inside the hull, I added a third center hole that will become a semi-permanent retainer so the bracket doesn't come loose if the other 2 bolts are out. I plan to cabosil these onto the inside wall of the hull but I have also always been a belt and suspenders kind of guy.

Time Spent:
    1 Hour (still need to chisel the foam out and glue these puppies in)

Tools Used:

Air Die Grinder w/ Tungsten carbide cutter
    3/16" Drill Bit
    1/4" Drill Bit
    7/16" Drill Bit
    1/8" Center Drill
    0-Flute Chamfer Bit
    M6x1.0 Tap
    Spring Loaded Center Punch
    Carbide Scribe
    Calipers
    T-Square
    Clamps
    Metal Cutting Band Saw
    Belt/Disc Sander
    Metal Cutting Circular Saw

Materials Used:
    3/8" Scrap Aluminium Plate

PPE Used:
    Worktunes Headphones
    Safety Squints (do as I say not as I do)

22.2%

Percentage complete:
    33.3333% (have to cut the hole in the rear of the other side of the hull, chisel foam out and glue these puppies in)

Sean

Sponson, Bracket, Bracket

Enhance

Oh, yeah... she thicc

It fits on the outside, it should fit on the inside...

+1
    Electronics Mount Fab Part 1 (No one will keep me in the box)

As mentioned in post: Motor and Electronics Part 1 (A Brief Intermission from Your Regularly Scheduled Program, Don't Get Used to it) and post: Small Update 1 (Intermission, go get some snacks) I am not planning to run an E-box. I hate them because they leak and then get filled with water which corrodes stuff. From what I can tell, all the electronic (minus the connectors) are sealed anyways. To address these issues, I am just mounting all the electronics to a plate a-la Kawasaki STX-15f

In short, I have converted all the plugs on the ECU to sealed sumitomo mt-90s. The components that do not use sealed plugs (voltage regulator and starter solenoid) will be potted with a short pigtail on them and a mt-90 plug. They are the OE connectors Kawasaki uses on lots of stuff and I have had a good experience with them thus far on my other projects.

Time will tell if I made a mistake but I am reasonably confident that it will work out.

Since the box went into the bin, I needed to make a replacement mount for all the goodies.

Time Spent:
    2 Hours (Manually tapping in my drill press it tedious, I really need to get a proper tap guide)

Tools Used:
    3/16" Drill Bit
    #9 Drill Bit
    1-3/4" Hole Saw
    1/8" Center Drill
    0-Flute Chamfer Bit
    M6x1.0 Tap
    M8x1.25 Tap
    Spring Loaded Center Punch
    Clamps
    Metal Cutting Band Saw
    Belt/Disc Sander
    Metal Cutting Circular Saw

Materials Used:
    1/4" Scrap Aluminium Plate

PPE Used:
    Worktunes Headphones
    Safety Squints (do as I say not as I do)

22.2%

Percentage complete:
    68% (The front hood latch will take some adjustment since my drill bit walked a bit when I drilled the bottom 2 holes for the plate mount and I still need to fabricate an ignition coil mount)

Sean

Step one: Measure
    Step two: Sketch

Step three: Print
    Step four: Find Mistake?
    Step five: Try and figure out how you messed up that simple measurement
    Step six: Print several more times after making the same mistake again

Step seven: Make sure you have a clean work surface

Step eight: glue 1:1 printout onto aluminum plate (That's right I am swapping between the US and UK spelling, sue me)

Step nine (not pictured) : Cut plate out
    Step ten: Centerpunch all holes
    Step eleven: Drill all holes
    Step twelve: Tap all holes

Step thirteen: place in parts washer with mineral spirits to remove adhesive, then peel mask off.
    Step fourteen: brush with flap disc for the swirls, everyone loves brushed aluminum.

Step fifteen: Bolt into hull with non-factory hardware because you lost the proper fasteners during garage "cleanup"

Step sixteen: Try to show that it does not interfere with the exhaust and battery but fail at taking the picture. Upload it anyways.

Step seventeen: Repeat step sixteen from a different angle.

+1
    Looking good! Looks like the infamous Orange Switch in there. Did you take the magnets out, or will you still use a key?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    Looking good! Looks like the infamous Orange Switch in there. Did you take the magnets out, or will you still use a key?
    If I have the key for it (I need to dig through my stash), I will probably leave it as is, if not, pop those puppies out. It is less for security and more to limit battery drain.

Sean

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread Information