Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    My name is Sean and I am addicted to STXs smokeysevin's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    What is 1208?
    Fiberglass cloth with mat woven under it.

http://www.uscomposites.com/specialty.html

Sean

+1
    OK, I haven't seen that before.

+1
    OK, I haven't seen that before.
    Its on the stiffer side when compared to cloth but it wets out well and bends better than mat. It hasnt been too bad except on tight corners and then only if you don't let the resin kick enough before laying the cloth out. It has a good build rate because its on the thicker side.

Sean

+1
    Lower Deck Prep Part 1 (Keep Your Bottom Clean)

Today's first task was to remove any stray splinters from the inside of the hull so I don't stab myself during assembly. I knocked the inside down with 80 grit and sucked the dust up with the shop vac. Once I was happy with the inside I unslung the ski from the hoist and put it back on the stand with the bottom deck up. The bottom deck had a really poorly applied and flaking layer of gel kote that was applied over no less than 3 other layers of paint, primer, and filler. Since the bottom needed work all that needs to get removed. I tried using regular sanding discs, the multitool and in desperation grabbed my trusty makita and flap disk which also didn't do much. Since it was chipping off anyways I helped it along with my trusty chisel. Two and a half hours later the bottom surface of the bottom deck just has paint remaining.

Jumping back to the top deck for a minute, I am still uncertain about the bond line between the nose and engine bay, is there any reason I can't add a layer of glass in the channel for the hood gasket?

Time Spent:
    3 Hours (I can barely type because my hands are cramped so bad)

Tools Used:
    Rockwell Oscillating Multi Tool
    5" Orbital Sander
    Makita 4.5" Angle Grinder with 100 grit flap disc
    1" Wood Chisel
    Shop Vac

Materials Used:
    None today

Pounds of Old Flaking Gel Kote Removed:
    71 (Estimated)

Beer Consumed:
    Karbach Lemon Ginger Radler (Look I can be fancy too okay, drink what you like)

PPE Used:
    Half Respirator
    Tyvek Suit
    3M Worktunes Headhones
    Hazard Frito 7mil blue bomber gloves

Percentage of Garage Floor Epoxy Coated
    18% (running total to date, I didn't spill anything that I am aware of today

Percentage complete:
    25% (the bottom doesn't have gel kote on it anymore but it needs a lot of sanding, filling, and prep)

Sean

My Bare Bottom

+1
    71 pounds of gelcoat removed? Wow!

I understand the hard work. I've been working on my airplane for the last 2 months. It hasn't flown for 27 years and needs a LOT of work. I spent 2 hours getting one bolt out. It took 3 hours to get it back in!

+1
    71 pounds of gelcoat removed? Wow!

I understand the hard work. I've been working on my airplane for the last 2 months. It hasn't flown for 27 years and needs a LOT of work. I spent 2 hours getting one bolt out. It took 3 hours to get it back in!
    I was completely joking about the 71lbs, it sure felt like that much though. The shavings went everywhere, especially back onto my head while I was cleaning the hull, seriously one of the least fun jobs to date.

I walked inside after I finished for the evening and asked my lovely wife "Why does everything I own seem to hate me?" she didn't have an answer. I really do seem to have an innate ability to find stuff that need a lot of work, buy it, then find out it needs way more work that I initially thought.

Airplane stuff is seriously cool and for the most part, totally antiquated. I have a buddy who is a pilot at a flight school and it amazed me the first time he went over the manual fuel trim and how big and lazy the motors are for reliability. If you have problems you can float on a ski, pull over in a car, but you crash in a plane.

Sean

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by smokeysevin View Post
    Airplane stuff is seriously cool and for the most part, totally antiquated. I have a buddy who is a pilot at a flight school and it amazed me the first time he went over the manual fuel trim and how big and lazy the motors are for reliability. If you have problems you can float on a ski, pull over in a car, but you crash in a plane.

Sean
    Aside from composite structures, there has been very little change in airframe design since the late 40's & 50's for the light aircraft industry. Engines are very antiquated. The FAA makes if virtually impossible to get anything new certified, and the lawyers are even worse. The FAA has finally allowed the introduction of electronic ignition with variable timing within the last year or two! My airplane just turned 72 years old this week.

About the only thing new is the avionics. GPS has totally revamped navigation and the color displays show real-time weather radar and traffic. Unfortunately, it comes at a very high price!

8. +1 by:

+1
    Much like marine stuff as well, every engine part has a certification for being aircraft grade even though its basically the same part you can get for 1/10th the cost from the oem.

Quality control is what keeps you from crashing though so I would say its worth the price.

That's really cool about your plane, I love hearing stories about vintage machines still being alive.

Sean

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    Now is the time.... Do the rear exhaust mod. Easily done when torn down like you are now.
    That is, unless, of course, you don't want to.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rlovebk View Post
    Now is the time.... Do the rear exhaust mod. Easily done when torn down like you are now.
    That is, unless, of course, you don't want to.
    I am waiting on a pipe before I do but its in the plan. Do you have a recommendation for the pipe diameter and lenght? I have a stock 650 exhaust that showed up today but that may be too restrictive based on a few people that reached out. I'm talking to a guy with a pjs 650 pipe but $400 is a bit much to add to what was supposed to be a cheap project.

Someone buy the 650 I had planned on putting in this ski!

Here is where I went wrong, I bought a 650 long block then figured out it would be expensive to get the other parts for it since I needed a carb, intake, exhaust, electrics, etc. I found a complete 750 and thought, yeah that makes sense and bought that with the intention of selling the 650 stuff. Then I found out that the aftermarket exhaust for the 750 was going to cost more than I wanted to spend but figured, I will pickup a stock 650 pipe and mod it. Then people said that was a bad idea but that pipe was delivered about 10 minutes ago.

For those keeping track at home, thats:

$400 shipped for the 650
    $90 for the 650 flywheel and magneto
    $30 for the 650 flywheel cover
    $65 for the hardware to put the 650 parts on the 650.
    $175 for the 650 pipe

All of which is basically wasted if I build the 750 version. If I don't then I still need a starter, bendix, intake, and carb.

You know, when I put it out there, it makes me realize I am not a smart man...

Maybe I should keep this stuff and do another js build... Thats a great idea!

Fire up the parts cannon boys, keep throwing money at the build until you get 2 for the price of 3!

Sean

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information