Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    +1
    Congrats!!

MSX 150 guy lives on Mr. GP1800's Avatar
    +1
    I just float my skis off the trailer. Even if its a shallow launch where you can't get as much of the ski in the water as you would like, the part that is in the water makes it much easier to slide them off. That works for me, but then again I am not riding a 1000 pound barge.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hfwb View Post
    I'm use to my boats floating off with the simplest of pushes. Maybe liquid rollers will help alot with the 'break free' part. Even after backing way in, I had to get off the ski and lift the front and push to try and get it off...
    Yeah, some trailers are better designed for PWC than others. Like I said before, when you get a chance, post up a pic of what you have and I'm sure someone here can help you with advice on adjustments for your setup.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hfwb View Post

3) Is there a knob or something on the back of the speedo for adjusting it? I know it will never be perfect, but 90 is ridiculous.

Are You reading speed on the digital display? If so, sounds like you are set to KPH......90kph = 55mph. To change, push the volt/hour button for at least 1 sec within 10 secs of the display coming on (this procedure is for the HO......the FX should be the same hopefully)

As for launching........you can't beat roller bunks to make life easy

+1
    What Volltrex said ..............X2

Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    Are You reading speed on the digital display? If so, sounds like you are set to KPH......90kph = 55mph. To change, push the volt/hour button for at least 1 sec within 10 secs of the display coming on (this procedure is for the HO......the FX should be the same hopefully)
    Ouch. Duh.... I was pressing those buttons to see if they worked. I will check.

Quote Originally Posted by volltrex View Post
    As for launching........you can't beat roller bunks to make life easy
    Not going to disagree there. I've just read (and seen myself) what happens when somebody screws up and unhooks to early.

Three feet from the nose to the hitch is kinda short. I would be looking for a replacement trailer that has at least 4-5 feet to the hitch. It might change the tongue weight a little but it the axle is in the correct place, the two trailers could have the exact weight even though one is longer. Selling a single trailer or any pwc trailer in the spring is very easy so you should be able to upgrade easily.

Somehow, a discussion of hitting the brakes to launch anything other than a boat you don't care about seems silly. Abusing your equipment is up to you but I have found that hand cranking and pushing the ski off the trailer is much easier on the ski, the trailer and the tow vehicle. If the ramp is so shallow that you have to have more than the rear tire of the tow vehicle in the water, you might try unhooking it and just rolling the trailer and the ski into the water. It sounds like you have a pre 2007 trailer designed for a smaller ski. For those of us with "barges" as Bryan pointed out, a proper trailer is just part of having a safer rig. Consider a dual trailer in advance as I'm sure you have already thought about a second ski...

Welcome to the forum. Be sure to run the engine on your HO on the trailer as you take it up the ramp to clear out any water in the exhaust. It is part of the winterization process but it never hurts to make sure you have all the water out of the pipes. 2-3 seconds at no more than half throttle is all that is needed.

+1
    Screw some of those plastic slides on top of the carpet on the trailer bunks and you will be able to just lightly push the ski off the trailer or back the ski off the trailer. I've had those on all of my trailers for years. Works great and they are not expensive to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by cnyman View Post
    Three feet from the nose to the hitch is kinda short. I would be looking for a replacement trailer that has at least 4-5 feet to the hitch.
    The trailer is in really good shape. I did some research on selling and getting another one, but doesn't seem worth it, or if it's even the problem. I also researched just buying a longer front tonque member. I could even get a swing adapter. Right now since I need another drawbar since I used the one for the boat, I am looking at some extended draw bars. They will get the ski back another 8" or so. I could even drop it also another 2" I think.

It sounds like you have a pre 2007 trailer designed for a smaller ski. For those of us with "barges" as Bryan pointed out, a proper trailer is just part of having a safer rig. Consider a dual trailer in advance as I'm sure you have already thought about a second ski...
    The trailer is an 07 shorelandr. As much as another ski would be nice, I just don't have the room, won't fit through the 3rd bay single garage door and it's awkward to park a car in there. Plus, I have a twin engine Yamaha boat and really just wanted 1 ski for us to have more fun when we head out in the boat to the beaches.

Be sure to run the engine on your HO on the trailer as you take it up the ramp to clear out any water in the exhaust. It is part of the winterization process but it never hurts to make sure you have all the water out of the pipes. 2-3 seconds at no more than half throttle is all that is needed.
    Thanks. Yes, already use to doing that with the boat.

I've attached some pics of my current trailer. I then measured and super imposed what it would look like with an extra long draw bar and 2" add'l drop.

Since I need a new draw bar anyways, I will definitely get one of the extra long ones since they allow us to swing the jeep tailgate open without any worries of hitting the trailer's winch. I just need to decide if I get the standard 2" drop or go with a 4". The 4" drop is superimposed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmallCurrent.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	302.1 KB 
ID:	324454Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SmallNewDrawBar.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	281.9 KB 
ID:	324455

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information